Can I use the SIM from my Verizon Storm in my old 8830?

Currently my 8830 has been deactivated from Verizon, and it has not been unlocked?

I'm traveling to Mexico to spend some time on the beach, and may not want to take my Storm with me due to all of the sand.

Thanks in advance.
    02-16-09 11:13 AM
    Yes it will work.. All SIM cards are the same.

Enjoy the Beach.......
    02-16-09 11:21 AM
    So -- I should be able to power down my storm, pull out the SIM card, slide it into my 8830, power it on, switch to "Global", and get connectivity to make phone calls?

My 8830 is not unlocked.

I will give it a try tonight and let you know what I find.
    02-16-09 12:04 PM
    hmm seems to good to be true lol. Thats the same concept of the 8830's SIM card slot though.

did it work?
    02-16-09 12:09 PM
    My 8830 is dead, has not had a charge since I got my new storm over 2 weeks ago. I don't have the charger or USB cable here at work. I will try it tonight after I charge my old BB and let you know.

I suspect it won't work, but its worth a try.

Will Verizon let me unlock an unactivated telephone?
    02-16-09 12:25 PM
    I do not think using your storm SIM in another phone will have any effect whatsoever. I do not think that they program it with any info. I know you can remove the SIM from your storm and it will still work perfectly fine. My friend also put my Verizon SIM in his iPhone 3G with no effect. But that may have something to do with CDMA/GSM compatibility.

Go ahead and try it, but I would not be surprised at all if it didnt work.

I go to Mexico all the time (Rocky Point) and have never had real service from Verizon down there. I would suggest getting your storm or 8830 unlocked and then using a SIM from one of the local carriers in Mexico (ie Telcel or MovieStar).
    02-16-09 04:46 PM
    Your ESN and SIM need to be activated. If your using the VZW sim anyway. Just change phones online and bounce out. Enjoy your trip

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-09 04:49 PM
    this will not work... Mexico uses CDMA networks (at least Verizon only has roaming agreements with the CDMA networks there). The SIM is only useful in countries where Verizon has roaming agreements with GSM networks. So, assuming that you have called Verizon and had your SIM activated on your account, this would work in a European country or some other country that Verizon has GSM roaming agreements with.
    02-17-09 01:39 AM
    this will not work... Mexico uses CDMA networks (at least Verizon only has roaming agreements with the CDMA networks there). The SIM is only useful in countries where Verizon has roaming agreements with GSM networks. So, assuming that you have called Verizon and had your SIM activated on your account, this would work in a European country or some other country that Verizon has GSM roaming agreements with.
    Thats strange...... My gf has an iPhone (GSM in case you dont know) and it works in Mexico while my Verizon phones have not (CDMA).You sure about this?
    02-18-09 09:17 PM
    I don't want to be a thread jacker, but does anyone know of the top of their head what other Verizon phones are dual-mode CDMA/GSM?

EDIT: never mind, looked into the "Global Ready" on their site, and its only a few. Storm and Samsung Saga along with 8830. Now if the 8830 only had WiFi
    Last edited by nemo-maritime; 02-19-09 at 12:20 AM.
    02-19-09 12:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD