Hey everyone,

Hope you're all well. Storm is almost here! It's been a looooong journey lol. I remember when there was only 4 threads in this forum haha. Anyways...I have a question for you guys about when I buy the Storm. My Curve is my first Blackberry, so I have never had to transfer all of my apps, contacts, etc from one BB to another. This is done in Desktop Manager, right? That would obviously be easy, except here is the problem. When I go to the VZW store (most likely a Circuit City), I am having my current Curve activated for my brother. If that happens, how do I transfer all of my apps, etc onto my Storm? I cannot do it at the store and if I wait until I get home it will be too late and the Curve will already be my brothers.

Any easy way to do this that I am not seeing?

Thanks, you guys have been great.
    11-17-08 12:18 AM
    Can't you just activate the Curve for your brother at another time?

I usually get free activation for any phone on Verizon. You might be able to just get all the data from it and then call Verizon Customer Service when you are done and have it activated for your brother.
    11-17-08 12:36 AM
    Can't you just activate the Curve for your brother at another time?

I usually get free activation for any phone on Verizon. You might be able to just get all the data from it and then call Verizon Customer Service when you are done and have it activated for your brother.
    And then we could transfer his contacts from his LG enV to the Curve back at the VZW booth after I do the transfer? Hmm...that does make sense. Could we activate it over the phone, though, since the Curve requires an extra $30 to the monthly plan?
    11-17-08 12:43 AM
    yes you can do it over the phone. i would suggest that. just get the storm and transfer all ur stuff over, then just call vzw and have the curve activated for him
    11-17-08 01:04 AM
    yes you can do it over the phone. i would suggest that. just get the storm and transfer all ur stuff over, then just call vzw and have the curve activated for him
    Cool, sounds like that is what I am gonna do. I hope most of my apps on the Curve work well on the Storm!
    11-17-08 01:21 AM
    Cool, sounds like that is what I am gonna do. I hope most of my apps on the Curve work well on the Storm!
    I hear the Storm has a compatibility mode, so most should work. However, they might not be fully optimized to use the touch screen, but nothing a software update can't solve in the near future. I expect all apps to be updated quickly.
    11-17-08 07:33 AM
    The best way would be to use the SDW in the DM and everything would be easy. But that's not an option unless they'll do it in the store for you. So backup the curve and when you get the Storm home restore. Theres really no point in backing up 3rd party applications because most won't work on the Storm regardless. You could also sync your contacts and other info with outlook and sync with device also. But I'd just back it up and restore when you get it home if the store won't do it for you.
    11-17-08 08:34 AM
    Why not just backup you Curve before you go to the store and then restore to he storm? Or Take a laptop and use the device swapper program in the desktop manager.
    11-17-08 08:35 AM
    Yeah all you have to do is backup your curve at home with desktop manager before you give your curve to your brother... I'm assuming you should just be able to hook it up and do a restore
    11-17-08 08:39 AM
    All of those sound like good ideas. I think I might go ahead and do the backup. One question, though: I do not have a PC right now, only PocketSync for Mac. I havent used DM before. I will install it on my brothers laptop, no problem there. My question is how does the backup work? I just connect the Curve and voila? A backup is created on the computer and when plug in the Storm everything will be put onto that?
    11-17-08 09:00 AM
    All of those sound like good ideas. I think I might go ahead and do the backup. One question, though: I do not have a PC right now, only PocketSync for Mac. I havent used DM before. I will install it on my brothers laptop, no problem there. My question is how does the backup work? I just connect the Curve and voila? A backup is created on the computer and when plug in the Storm everything will be put onto that?
    Plug in device>Open DM> Backup/Restore>Backup and save it somewhere that you remember and is easy to get to. When you get the Storm, plug in device>open DM> backup/restore>Restore> and thats it.

Edit: you really need to get into the habit of backing up your information.
    11-17-08 09:41 AM
    Thanks, Crucial. I never really thought of backing up my Blackberry for some reason...I mean, I do it everyday for my computer, I guess it never really crossed my mind!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-08 10:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD