Hello all, I had a few questions for you Storm 1 owners. I currently have a tour, but am considering purchasing a 9530. Based on your experience with the device, would you recommend it? I know I'm going to go down in memory, but I like the design, and the screen feel of the 9530 better than I do the 9550. How about the dust issues under the screen? Have those gotten any better? All the help in the world would be appreciated

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-10 08:33 AM
    go with a storm 2, you will get used to the screen quickly. its a better device overall than the first gen
    03-13-10 08:44 AM
    go with a storm 2, you will get used to the screen quickly. its a better device overall than the first gen
    I had a Storm 2, and had many issues with it, especially with the un-eveness of the screen, it was just a few quirks, but like I said, I especially like the design of the 9530...

03-13-10 08:50 AM
    My last phone was the Bold. I switched to a Storm2 about four months ago. I couldn't have taken a better decision IMO. I really like the Storm2 - and I've had zero problems with it after I updated the OS to .451.
    Never used the Storm1, so can't compare, but other posters here seem to feel that Storm2 is a huge improvement.
    03-13-10 09:10 AM
    Hello all, I had a few questions for you Storm 1 owners. I currently have a tour, but am considering purchasing a 9530. Based on your experience with the device, would you recommend it? I know I'm going to go down in memory, but I like the design, and the screen feel of the 9530 better than I do the 9550. How about the dust issues under the screen? Have those gotten any better? All the help in the world would be appreciated

My .02 (and that's about all it's worth).

I had a Storm 1 and aside from the memory leaks, it worked fine. No dust; mine looks as pristine as the day I bought it (anyone want to buy it?) I didn't load a lot on it, so I had plenty of memory. I did a Meterberry reset it every day and a battery pull once a week and it seemed to help keep things running pretty well. Once VZW released the latest S1 update, it helped things tremendously, e.g., almost completely eliminated my memory leak issues. On my phone, the S1 accelerometer wasn't too good, and the screen dimming did drive me nuts.

Storm 2 is a better phone as far as speed goes, faster accelerometer, less screen dimming, more memory for more fun apps. I still reset everyday, but I can't remember the last time I did a battery pull. Music player performs pretty much the same, my games and programs run close to the same (S2 may be a little faster), call quality was the same, browser is the same (I'm not using Opera mini), buttons are fine, etc. It kind of depends on how much you need out of your phone, what the price is (I would hope that you are getting an awesome deal on the S1), etc. Whatever the differences in the screen, I got used to my S2 quickly. I'm not Uber-picky and while I liked my S1, I like my S2 much better because I am comforted by more memory and having the newest model of something.
    03-13-10 09:25 AM
    My .02 (and that's about all it's worth).

I had a Storm 1 and aside from the memory leaks, it worked fine. No dust; mine looks as pristine as the day I bought it (anyone want to buy it?) I didn't load a lot on it, so I had plenty of memory. I did a Meterberry reset it every day and a battery pull once a week and it seemed to help keep things running pretty well. Once VZW released the latest S1 update, it helped things tremendously, e.g., almost completely eliminated my memory leak issues. On my phone, the S1 accelerometer wasn't too good, and the screen dimming did drive me nuts.

Storm 2 is a better phone as far as speed goes, faster accelerometer, less screen dimming, more memory for more fun apps. I still reset everyday, but I can't remember the last time I did a battery pull. Music player performs pretty much the same, my games and programs run close to the same (S2 may be a little faster), call quality was the same, browser is the same (I'm not using Opera mini), buttons are fine, etc. It kind of depends on how much you need out of your phone, what the price is (I would hope that you are getting an awesome deal on the S1), etc. Whatever the differences in the screen, I got used to my S2 quickly. I'm not Uber-picky and while I liked my S1, I like my S2 much better because I am comforted by more memory and having the newest model of something.
    Well, glad to hear that it works fine. I was thinking about purchasing a new one on eBay for 375, but hey, if you're selling your pristine one, they I'm interested

03-13-10 09:29 AM
    ok this is not to be an ***, but

you have to be completely stupid to pay 375 for a storm 1
    and you cant be serious to pick the storm 1 over the storm 2 when both are available to you. You have no clue about what you are doing.
    03-13-10 11:34 AM
    I like my Storm 1 and am running Tank's hybrid, and haven't had to do a battery pull in awhile. I replaced my Tour with the 9530 (bad trackball) and still look at it and wonder if I should reactivate it for a little while (I did eventually replace the trackball), but have stuck with the Storm and generally like it. I don't do a ton of email/texting so I pick the larger screen over the physical keyboard.

That being said, I'm assuming that you're thinking $375 for a Storm 2 and about $125ish for a Storm 1.
    03-13-10 11:42 AM

and you cant be serious to pick the storm 1 over the storm 2 when both are available to you. You have no clue about what you are doing.
    If you would read my post, I said that I like the design and feel of the Storm 1 over the Storm 2, so I DO know what I'm talking about. Just because I don't want the latest and greatest, does not mean that I don't know what I'm talking about.

03-13-10 01:00 PM
    I like my Storm 1 and am running Tank's hybrid, and haven't had to do a battery pull in awhile. I replaced my Tour with the 9530 (bad trackball) and still look at it and wonder if I should reactivate it for a little while (I did eventually replace the trackball), but have stuck with the Storm and generally like it. I don't do a ton of email/texting so I pick the larger screen over the physical keyboard.

That being said, I'm assuming that you're thinking $375 for a Storm 2 and about $125ish for a Storm 1.
    Well, I'm going to purchase the device off the internet, not on a contract price, and I don't want a damaged device so my best bet is just buying a brand new one, unless anyone knows where I can get a nice mint condition used one?

03-13-10 01:03 PM
    Well, I'm going to purchase the device off the internet, not on a contract price, and I don't want a damaged device so my best bet is just buying a brand new one, unless anyone knows where I can get a nice mint condition used one?

If you're buying a brand new device without a contract, price obviously isn't your main concern. It is the only reason I went with a 9530 ($139 used). The main things I wanted in the S2 were WiFi and some extra speed. As far as the screen feel goes, that falls into muscle memory so quickly that you won't even notice one way or the other after a week, maybe two at the most. Whatever you do, if you're buying new, make sure they've got a liberal return policy so you have a good amount of time to decide it's for you.

Just my $0.02. I could be wrong.
    03-13-10 02:16 PM
    wow! well I would sell you my storm 1 ( but I still need it for 3 more months ) until I can do the annual upgrade.... Still checking a S2, or possibly the next hottest phone... still loving BB though
    03-13-10 04:41 PM
    LOL...admit it, you're being an ***!!! But only 'cuz you beat me to it .

The S2, especially with the new/improved updated, screen (devices made on or after 02/2010..see all the threads), plus the increased memory, support of OpenGL, blah, blah, blah, is SUCH a better device than the S1 (and I owned and loved my S1 for a year before upgrading).

Yep, he'll most probably have dust, complain about memory leaks, etc., but hey, to each his/her own!

03-13-10 05:09 PM
    LOL...admit it, you're being an ***!!! But only 'cuz you beat me to it .

The S2, especially with the new/improved updated, screen (devices made on or after 02/2010..see all the threads), plus the increased memory, support of OpenGL, blah, blah, blah, is SUCH a better device than the S1 (and I owned and loved my S1 for a year before upgrading).

Yep, he'll most probably have dust, complain about memory leaks, etc., but hey, to each his/her own!
    Memory leaks not a big deal to me. I own a TOUR I have horrid memory leaks

03-13-10 06:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD