Out of curiousity, how many digits was your order number on the replacement?? I think I wrote mine down wrong because it says there's no record when I check order status.. thought it was only 5 digits.
    mine too....but my shipping email from them has a tracking number for fedex...but it doesnt track on vzw.com
    12-04-08 09:24 PM
    mines 6 had to reorder because someone messed up the first replacement order, both started with 2xxxxx
    12-04-08 09:24 PM
    all i know is i repeatedly said i wanted a new phone in a new box sealed lol 8 times to be exact was on the phone with the guy for about 40 minutes said he had to get supervisor to accept it who knows lol, i still wanna know what happened to my first replacement order i placed yesterday lol

also yesterday i ordered thru a tech dude, today it was just a CS rep
    12-04-08 09:27 PM
    also is everyone being charged the 250$ until they get ur old phone or replacement whichever u decide to send back?
    12-04-08 09:31 PM
    Well....got mine yesterday and they are sending me another one out
    I stressed that I did not want a refurb. She said I would get new due to it being within the 30 days. Mine was 1 day old Just glad they are willing to take care of it. Darn, now I have to wait for the replacement....She said new ones would be in the original box with all the stuff inside just like I got originally. Hm......
    12-04-08 09:39 PM
    Out of curiousity, how many digits was your order number on the replacement?? I think I wrote mine down wrong because it says there's no record when I check order status.. thought it was only 5 digits.
    mine too....but my shipping email from them has a tracking number for fedex...but it doesnt track on vzw.com
    Its a 6 digit number. I had to verify it the second time I called cause the lady that I talked to the first time missed a number and only gave me a five digit one.

Shiff, the email you got should have the correct order number. I think the website is messed up though cause my order number doesn't work either.
    12-04-08 09:43 PM
    Font think thats reson for the delay I ordered my rep. On monday and it arrive today and it was a full package

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-08 09:44 PM
    So when you "return" the thing... Do you have to ship it back to them or can you simply take it back to a store?
    12-04-08 09:52 PM
    You all are just falling for BS. MOST of these VZ reps/managers either dont know what they are talking about, or they are lying.

http://purchasing.state.nv.us/Wireless/Verizon_CC.pdf

This is an offical Verizon document on PDF. Open it an do search for "FRU"

This is what you will find.

"Subscribers with an eligible handset experiencing an electronic malfunction or manufacturer
    defect during the allotted Defective on Arrival (“DOA”) time period (the handset fails within
    the first 30 days of date of purchase) may receive a new handset in exchange for the defective
    handset.
    After the initial 30-day DOA time period has expired, Verizon Wireless will assist the
    subscriber with the manufacturer’s warranty process. However, if the equipment is defective
    after the initial 30-day return period, but before expiration of the manufacturer’s one-year
    warranty, the subscriber may, in Verizon Wireless’ sole discretion, receive a refurbished Field
    Replacement Unit (FRU)
    in exchange for the defective unit at no charge."

I will go with the offical documents over some CS rep that is trying to get you through the first 30 days.
    12-04-08 09:54 PM
    Man, I just checked my tracking number, and the replacement is being shipped from TEXAS! I'm in NYC! What's up with that? I thought they had multiple factories?
    Yea, they have a lot of warehouses...mine shipped from PA, and I live in Long Island!
    12-04-08 09:57 PM
    Its a 6 digit number. I had to verify it the second time I called cause the lady that I talked to the first time missed a number and only gave me a five digit one.

Shiff, the email you got should have the correct order number. I think the website is messed up though cause my order number doesn't work either.
    The order number you got from the telephone rep will not work on the 'check order status" on the website. The check order status on the website is only for those orders placed via the website; but who cares just track the package with the number, fedex
    12-04-08 09:59 PM
    Yea, they have a lot of warehouses...mine shipped from PA, and I live in Long Island!
    Mine shipped from TX, I live in MD. I got the refurbished junk. I guess TX is the refurbished warehouse. Was your phone from PA in a new box?
    12-04-08 10:01 PM
    Well, after all the misinformation from verizon, I am beginning to get pissed. I called on Monday to get a replacement phone, no problem, it will be there on Wednesday. No phone on Wednesday, called, oh it will be there Friday. Thursday night, no tracking number, called again...the PHONE IS ON BACKORDER. You will receive it on or before the 15th.

BS
    12-04-08 10:21 PM
    The phone is 2 weeks out how could they possibly have refurb available? We are getting new phones. Ok so someone got the phone on day 1, 11/21, and sent it RIGHT back, then they refurbished it, and send it back out? How did they have time to do that? Remember there was a major holiday in there too. The math just don't work. We are getting new phones, they are just packaging them as FRUs.

Ok for FRU means Factory Replacement Unit, which does not HAVE to mean refurbished, but it COULD once they get our bad phones fixed and THEN in months or more from now send them out as FRUs. There is just no way they would have time to recieve bad phones, refurbish and fix them and send them out? Like I said the math don't work.
    12-04-08 10:30 PM
    The phone is 2 weeks out how could they possibly have refurb available? We are getting new phones. Ok so someone got the phone on day 1, 11/21, and sent it RIGHT back, then they refurbished it, and send it back out? How did they have time to do that? Remember there was a major holiday in there too. The math just don't work. We are getting new phones, they are just packaging them as FRUs.

Ok for FRU means Factory Replacement Unit, which does not HAVE to mean refurbished, but it COULD once they get our bad phones fixed and THEN in months or more from now send them out as FRUs. There is just no way they would have time to recieve bad phones, refurbish and fix them and send them out? Like I said the math don't work.
    refurb does not necessary mean that its origin has to be a consumer returned unit
    12-04-08 10:51 PM

yes it was, 6 digits.
    12-04-08 10:56 PM
    , receive a refurbished Field
    Replacement Unit (FRU)
    in exchange for the defective unit at no charge."[/I]

I will go with the offical documents over some CS rep that is trying to get you through the first 30 days.

FRU stands for Field Replacement Unit (see your quote). They put the work refurbished in front because after 30 days you will get a refurbished version of the FRU. No where in there does FRU mean refurbished (or it owuld be RFRU per above).

The FRU concept is not a Verizon invention - been around in consumer products for decades. Just because it is an FRU does not mean refurbished - in fact it can be either. Verizon states you get a new one within 30 days and may get a refurb after 30 days.
    12-04-08 11:20 PM
    i used to be a product safety engineer and the UL marking you see on the label means that the product meets all safety standards. UL's requirement for refurbished units, is that is has to be clearly labeled "REFURBISH" or "REMANUFACTURED" OR "REFURBISHMENT". You can't even use the word "REFURB". The requirement is very specific. So if the label where the UL marking is located does not have the words I specified above, it is not a refurb. Its brand new.

The manufacturer will allocate field replacement units without cables, batteries, etc etc because its more cost efficient. They can't re-use the battery you sent back with the broken phone even if nothing is wrong with it. The battery is considered a used part now and can not be shipped with a new, field replacement or refurb phone.

Trust me, I went through these types of specific issues. I work for a company called Applied Biosystems and we manufacture biotech equipment. We wanted to start refurbing instruments 7 years ago and I was responsible for investigating the requirements, confirming them, revising our processes/procedures to comply, marking up our engineering drawings and obtaining the UL certification
    Last edited by Jaw Knee; 12-04-08 at 11:24 PM.
    12-04-08 11:21 PM
    I have dead pixels on my phone, I called VZW and they said to go into a store, and get a new phone in store. I called the store and they have NOTHING, and they are not getting any in for a few days. I called VZW again, and relayed that message, and the tech said, "Well I am sorry, nothing I can do." So, I hung up with him, and called right back, got someone else and they said they would hunt around and call me, told me to drive to Miami to get one. LOL @ that. But then I called again, and they are going to ship me out a phone to replace it. They said a BRAND NEW phone, but I guess I will find out when I get it...
    12-04-08 11:39 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD