I taped a 1hr meeting using my BB storm Voice Notes. The tape sounds great on my BB. When I use Media Manager to transfer the .amr file to my PC it automatically converts it to a MP3 file and the playback on my PC is double or triple speed. I've converted the MP3 file to WAV and the same thing occurs. What is going on here and how can I transfer it as an .amr file and then hopefully convert it to a WAV file that I can store and listen to? Thanks in advance for someone's help.
    07-26-09 04:33 PM
    I'd like to put this problem "in play" once again, as I've gotten no replies. I can't use Voice Notes on my BB Storm like I would like to use a tape recorder. The recording quality is great...but in playback mode I can't "fast forward" etc. I also can't transfer the file to my computer in order to do that. If, on my computer, I convert the file to a .mp3 file, it plays back so fast that I can't understand it. If someone would help I'd be most appreciative.
    08-05-09 04:33 PM
    Perhaps don't use Media Manager? Just drag and drop the file from your Storm onto your PC and use a different program to do the mp3 conversion. Google "convert .amr to mp3" for a veritable cornucopia of free file converter links.
    08-05-09 11:20 PM
    Here's an even better question.

What genius at RIM thought it was a good idea to use a proprietary format instead of just recording in MP3 or even WAV like 100% of all other digital voice recorders do? Seriously RIM, WTF?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-09 11:28 PM

What genius at RIM thought it was a good idea to use a proprietary format instead of just recording in MP3 or even WAV like 100% of all other digital voice recorders do? Seriously RIM, WTF?

Good question, but based on my quick Google for an answer to the OP's question it appears the .amr format is quite widely used for portable voice recording ... I'm going to go out on a limb and guess there are 2 reasons for this format ...

1. file size stays small because the codec only allows recording within a narrow audio band coinciding with the range of the human voice.

2. noise reduction is more easily obtained, again because of the narrow range of the audio band.

I'm going to challenge my own theory this weekend ... I will use the voice recorder to record a full-spectrum music source and then use my SoundForge software to analyze the wave form of the resulting .amr output to see if the codec is indeed restricting range which would justify its place in the pantheon of file formats because it is designed to do a specific job ...
    08-06-09 12:04 AM
    Re "Perhaps don't use Media Manager? Just drag and drop the file from your Storm onto your PC and use a different program to do the mp3 conversion." (How do I put earlier comments in a separate box?)......I hate asking what is probably a simple question, but how does one "look at" the BB files on a computer without using RIMs Media Manager? When I go to My Computer in Windows XP Pro I don't see my BB as a separate drive, i.e. I don't see it at all. I do see files on jump sticks and a digital tape recorder using this same USB port. Thanks in advance for this help.
    08-08-09 09:31 AM
    Perhaps don't use Media Manager? Just drag and drop the file from your Storm onto your PC....
    Will someone tell me how to "drag and drop files" from a Storm onto a PC without using Media Manager? I can't find a way to "see" my BB files on a PC to drag them. Thanks.
    08-08-09 02:40 PM
    Will someone tell me how to "drag and drop files" from a Storm onto a PC without using Media Manager? I can't find a way to "see" my BB files on a PC to drag them. Thanks.
    A CrackBerry Master in another thread answered my question. I did not have Mass Storage Mode Enabled with Connected. After enabling this, I was able to transfer the file to me PC, convert to .mp3, and listen on my PC. I will not be checking this thread again. Don't know if I can turn this thread off or not, but I'll try.
    08-08-09 09:21 PM
    Glad you got it worked out Ted. Was away for a few days and was unable to check the Forums. Threat of instant death from the wife if I didn't take a "technology break" ... LOL
    08-11-09 05:10 AM
    RIM just makes no sense. Must be a Canadian thing.

Ha!!! No argument there ... the Help Desk that takes the calls for the company I support is in Canada ... and they send many of the trouble tickets they open to my group.

Many times I have wished for a Canuck to English decoder ring trying to make some semblance of sense out of the scribbling presented ....

Wait, does iPhone have an app for that?!
    08-11-09 05:14 AM

Totally agree with you. This has been frustrating as **** for me. I like to email messages (with the sound memo attached) to myself so I can work with them at home on a PC. A competing program (VR+) allows me to do this.
    Last edited by BorealHiker; 08-13-09 at 05:26 PM.
    08-13-09 05:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD