Is there an adjustment for the power...when I turn off the storm it seems to be going into a standby. When I turn it on it's fast....I know it's not completely shutting off...I can find any info on how to change that setting. I do not have the phone set to auto shut off....
    12-26-08 01:47 PM
    are you holding the hungup button down?
    12-26-08 01:50 PM
    Yes and i have also tried the power off icon...
    12-26-08 01:52 PM
    If you hold the power off button for about 4-5 seconds, you will see the screen fade to shut off. I never had this problem so I Cant answer the ops question sadly.
    12-26-08 02:13 PM
    Blackberries are not designed to do a full power shutdown when you hit the power button. If you want to do a full power cycle do a battery pull (full keyboard berries have a keyboard shortcut for it, don't think Storm does though)....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-26-08 02:20 PM
    Thats right, its going into standby, not actually shutting down. I loaded a free app named 'softreset' to use when I want to reboot. But even that doesnt shut down the phone, it simply reboots it so it will come back on.
    12-26-08 02:22 PM
    Hitting the physical power button or icon puts the storm to sleep; that is the normal operation. Pulling the battery (or having the battery die on you) is the only way to completely turn it off. This is the reason you see "battery pulling" so prevalent here. That is the only way to completely turn off or reboot the phone.
    12-26-08 02:24 PM
    I don't have my Storm yet, but if i have to do battery pulls all the damn time, i'm gonna be returning it.

12-26-08 06:18 PM
    I don't have my Storm yet, but if i have to do battery pulls all the damn time, i'm gonna be returning it.

I've done 1 battery pull in over a month (and that was by choice to see what it would do, not because I had to).....not sure why people are pulling their battery every day...... My app memory has been hovering around 30mb. I just make sure I close all apps when finished, and I'm not running any memory bleeding apps all the time.
    12-26-08 06:32 PM
    So if you hit the 'hard' power button or the power button on the menu, i understand that this just puts it into stand by but can people still call me and my phone still ring in the semi off or stand by mode which happens when you press the power off button?

Tom.
    12-26-08 06:38 PM
    So if you hit the 'hard' power button or the power button on the menu, i understand that this just puts it into stand by but can people still call me and my phone still ring in the semi off or stand by mode which happens when you press the power off button?

Tom.
    Being in standby Mode almost puts the phone to act like its off, but its not nessicarly off. Its like a Laptop in Stand By. It puts it in somewhat of a "Sleep" mode.
    12-26-08 06:59 PM
    Being in standby Mode almost puts the phone to act like its off, but its not nessicarly off. Its like a Laptop in Stand By. It puts it in somewhat of a "Sleep" mode.
    I understand this but I was asking about the fact that can some one still call you and your phone still ring in this semi off position?

Thanks.

Tom.
    Last edited by magico563; 12-26-08 at 07:06 PM.
    12-26-08 07:04 PM
    Magico, when you use the power button or power icon the phone is in a powered down stand-by mode (like a laptop) and will not be receiving calls or anything, it is using a very small amount of battery to keep the RAM active, everything else is off.

Tumaz, the blackberry OS is a very stable platform so battery pulls or hard resets are not needed often (think of Linux vs windows). Some OS versions do have memory leaks but those are typically the beta ones, official releases are normally very solid. For instance I have only had to do a hard reset once in the last 6 weeks and I never turn my phone off. hope that helps!

12-26-08 07:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD