When something bumps the send key (lower left) the phone screen appears.
    When it bumps the send key again, the last number dialed appears.
    Then it bumps it a third time and my phone is dialing out.

Is there a way to disable this functionality?
    03-17-09 12:26 PM
    Just lock the phone. No, you can't disable this, it's a normal function of pretty much any cell phone.
    03-17-09 12:30 PM
    Alas, I'm used to cell phones that flip shut, allowing them to be cradled without being removed from their cases and having all the buttons on the inside when flipped shut.

Right now, locking the storm does nothing because the same object that's capable of hitting the send button is capable of unlocking the phone. I could go as far as requiring a password to dial the phone but that has so little appeal to me that it's not funny.

I'm starting to think I made a poor choice in phones. This might be a great phone if I used a holster (or even wore pants when I'm not at work) and it had API calls to a number of things the software can do (such as the light that's used by the video camera) but it seems there's always a new way this phone finds to frustrate me.
    03-18-09 04:45 PM
    OK, what is this object that's capable of hitting send also capable of hitting the lock button? What, you thow this phone into your purse or something?
    03-18-09 04:59 PM
    Actually, I throw it in my pocket. The same place where my keys, my wallet, my badge for work, some spare change, and my Canon often end up. In summer it's the pocket of my pants or, more frequently my shorts. In winter it's the pocket of my coat. When camping or hiking, it's my backpack. When going to the pool it ends up in whatever is holding my glasses, usually a backpack. At night camping, it goes into a tent pocket next to my glasses, wallet, etc.

Doing this hasn't been a problem with other phones, cameras, palm pilots, a Zaurus and a host of other electronic devices, some of which have similar form factors but come with either methods to disable functions or sliding or flip covers that prevent accidents but still allow docking.
    03-19-09 09:57 AM
    1. Get a case or cover for the phone so whatever is in your pocket won't press any buttons.
    2. Stop putting it in your pocket.
    3. Stop putting other stuff in your pocket.
    4. Get a flip phone.
    03-19-09 10:10 AM
    5 - take the small monkey that likes to push buttons out of your pocket.
    03-19-09 10:28 AM
    Right now, locking the storm does nothing because the same object that's capable of hitting the send button is capable of unlocking the phone. I could go as far as requiring a password to dial the phone but that has so little appeal to me that it's not funny.
    I'll second this, I ended up putting a password on my phone. I've never had a 'bar' style phone with a one key unlock, it's just plain stupid. All the Nokias I've had required two keys pushed one after the other in a specified time frame to unlock the keys. Just allowing something to rest against a button for a second to unlock everything is plain stupid.
    Then again my parent's Samsung flip phone can be locked and closed yet if you toggle the outside speakerphone button enough it will start dialing the last called number in the call log.
    Last edited by bp22_ca; 03-19-09 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Fix quotation
    03-19-09 10:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD