CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Poor reception and dropped calls

Reception at work has always been marginal. My prior phone was a MotoKrzr and the reception and call quality was exceptional. I always gave my partner, who had several BB's over the years, a hard time because he was always dropping calls , running out of his office to get better reception, etc... My MotoKrzr, although a "dumb" phone, was an excellent phone. Not a single dropped call, no missed calls (people sent to voice mail without the phone ever ringing), the call quality on both sides of the conversation was phone line quality. The Storm on the other hand is just terrible, numerous dropped calls a day, poor call quality both sides, all of which unfortunately make this phone almost unusable as a phone.

Other than poor reception areas (that I remember from my old LG phone days) the Storm phone quality is at best acceptable and no where near as good as the KRZR. I have had the Storm since original release date last year and running official 75 OS. Any chance future OS upgrades will fix the poor reception / call quality problems or are BB's in general just not very good at being phones. ....and I am now running into my partner as we both run down the hall trying to find that sweet spot in order to carry on a conversation.
    Last edited by krm728; 03-21-2009 at 08:42 PM.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    304e36dc

i to am in the same boat as you. i love the phone so long as i don't have to talk on it. wife is mad about this to. she said you spent how much and it sounds like that. well i am going to wait for the next patch, i hope before i hit the 1 year mark, and see how it performs. and the battery life is crap to.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Have you tried updating your Pros? *228 send.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

PRLs not pros. Damn suretype.

CrackBerry User

Can u hear me now?!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

LOL, could you repeat that....you're breaking up.

Thanks Stormsrackers, I have updated the prl's in the past (and recently)with no improvement.
    Last edited by krm728; 03-23-2009 at 09:28 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    180 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stormcrackers View Post
    Have you tried updating your Pros? *228 send.

That will do nothing but update your roaming capabilities. It will not improve your reception.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    PIN
    No Way

Never had a problem with verizon service, especially on the storm, since 11/21/08! I even get service in my basement!
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    3100B153 <---- ADD

Quote Originally Posted by mbroi View Post
    Can u hear me now?!
    lol.........Good
    : PIN:3100B153 : ADD ME : follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/Dyzrv
    Rbaird91 is me
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    140 Global Posts

I know that my Telus Storm has dropped many more calls than my motorolla Razr V3 had. I'm using it in the same locations and driving the same roadway (on handsfree of course ) The majority of the time I'm getting 3 bars where my Moto had full bars. I'm hoping that there is some way to fix this... software or physical hardware alteration/modification I'm up for if it works
    Thanked by:
    lesterpoitier (06-23-2011) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

I paid the price to end my service with Sprint early.
    I liked the Sanyo flip phone I had. The sound was crisp, and
    reception was excellent.
    The first thing I noticed when I got the Storm is that the sound quality is sub-par. VERY disappointing! Also, reception is weak in places they were strong. Sprint's customer service has gotten unbearably awful. I really wanted out anyway, but as much as I love the phone, I really dislike the sound and reception from Verizon. That's just me. I'm sure others have been satisfied, and I applaud you. I'm hoping for improved quality soon.
    CrackBerry User

I get better reception then i did with my previous 2 phones (a motorola Q and the LG phone before the envy)
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

I am using the storm in the same places and on the same network (verizon). I know signal indicators vary on different phones so I always check actual signal strenth readings in dBm.

With my old KRZR the signal strength would never go below -105 dBm in my office. The storm signal strenth jumps around a lot and will go as low as -110 dBm. The KRZR could make/receive calls with no problem, with exceptional call quality even at -105 dBm whereas the storm needs at least -100 dBm to avoid drops. With the storm I sometimes never hear the phone ring (people go straight to voice mail) and if I do receive a call, the call quality is terrible, and if I stay in my office I will eventually drop the call because the signal strength jumps around so much.

I am hoping that after seeing varying radio quality with different leaked OS's, that a new OS will help. If not, I will need to find a phone that works as a phone... I hope that doesn't happen because I really like the "smart" phone capabilities.
    Last edited by krm728; 04-05-2009 at 09:09 PM.
    CrackBerry User

I also have had problems with the reception on my Storm. Even in my house when I am stationary the signal strength will go from 4 or 5 bars to ZERO. When this happens while I am talking to someone, they can barely hear me and their voice gets crackly. I am on my fourth Storm and they have all been exactly the same with the reception problem. Shouldn't excellant cell reception be one of the higher priorities of a smart phone? I work at home and rely on my phone to have excellant reception. It is embarrasing when talking to a client perfectly fine one second and then can't hear them the next. PLEASE fix this problem RIM!
    CrackBerry Newbie

I am a new Blackberry Storm 9530 user. My carrier is Verizon. I've only had the phone for about 2 weeks and have had to make several calls to customer service concerning downloading ring tones and have also had to go to the actual store where I purchased the phone from twice on different issues to speak with a tech. I've been with Verizon ever since I've been using cell phones and would like to remain with them but I'm very upset. I had a Samsung alias gold prior to this phone and it worked great. I really enjoy the many features of the blackberry and the touch screen is way cool which is what attracted me to the phone in the first place but what good is it to have a phone if you can barely talk on it????
    My reception is the WORST ever! My cell phone bill is close to $300.00 right now and if I'm expected to pay that amount of money for services I should get my money's worth don't ya think? I feel it is unacceptable to have to settle for terrible phone reception when paying that amount of money. Are these phones still in Beta stage? Have they been released to the public too soon? What's going on??? I'm normally not a crabby person but I am so frustrated over this that I'm making myself physically ill. I'd have to say that 90% of the time I'm talking on the phone, I either lose connection or have broken conversation. Would someone please explain to me what the deal is with these phones?? Helpppppppppp!!!!
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,123 Global Posts

My MOTO Q had the best reception of any phone that I have ever owned. BB is good but the Q was the best.
    CrackBerry User

Default Pretty bummed.

I've wanted the storm since it's unofficial(and official) release. I rode out the wave of bugs, slanted/dust screens, etc etc, and waited to see if Rogers would get the storm1 OR 2 But alas, no.. So I worked a bunch of hours and scrounged up enough to buy a used Telus 9530.

Firstly - I love everything about this phone, the screen releastate, the browsing experience(opera 5 beta), the messaging, and even im adjusting to the typing! But the biggest issue is........... Signal, reception and calls.

I never made alot of calls, (im a heavy data user) but when I did .. it would say "call failed". Okay, I will re-try - "Call failed". So I gave it a day thinking it was just that number, but almost EVERY call I make fails, i'm so frustrated and sad at the same time, I wanna love this phone but if it can't do the basic function, what do I do?

I have searched countless forums and sites and everyone seems to relate to the same problem, and as I am with Rogers(not telus) I can't do the "*23 something or other" dial-out.

I would like to also report that these are my currect statistics:

Signal: -75 dBm(Is that good - bad???)
    I am running V5.0.0.323
    It is an UNlocked phone
    My Network is "ROGERS"
    Network Mode Selection "Automatic"
    Network Technology "Global"

Also my EDGE differs almost every second to edge, and GPRS(what is GPRS??)

I can be in my room and no singal, and sometimes it works fine. I once was up at 5am and tried to call online banking, it would go about 30 seconds into the call and end it - and its doing that now everytime.

I did recieve a "Registered account" message from the Rogers verification, so I don't know if that means anything.

I'm not a total noob but not totally savvy technology-wise, so please go easy on me if there's alot I should know,

Please, if anyone could help with solid solutions or advice, I honestly would appreciate it alot. I was selling my curve 8900 on kijiji for this device, but now I may have to reconsider, please if anyone from Crackberry could help me?

Thanks in advance, I await any replies.
    User & Abuser. Crackberry - sentenced for L.I.F.E
    Second Device: IPhone 3GS
    My BlackBerry Tops:
    App: BeWeather, Poynt, BeBuzz, QuickLaunch, TwitterGenius
    Game: FierceTowers
    Phone(ToDate) Storm 9550
    RingTone: The Kids Aren't Alright- OffSpring
    Case: BlackBerrys Red Silicone Skin, simply works.
    Site: CrackBerry
    CrackBerry User

Anyone have any solutions at all?
    My BlackBerry Tops:
    Phone(ToDate) Storm 9550
    CrackBerry User

Mmm, I will still wait patiently,...Yep..
    My BlackBerry Tops:
    Phone(ToDate) Storm 9550