I have a car charger adapter that accepts any usb cable. I plugged the cable that the storm came with into it today and now I have a dead black screen and it won't turn on. When it's connected to the computer the red light is on, but still will not turn on.

Can I somehow wipe the phone and start over? Will I be able to wipe the phone if I can't see a display?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    12-15-08 04:08 PM
    will it connect to dm? or will your pc see it when plugged in?
    12-15-08 04:15 PM
    Do a search. If I wasn't on my phone I would help you more

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-08 04:16 PM
    It connects, to DM but I keep getting the tone signal over and over like it's connected then disconnected. I tried running the backup, then reinstalling the OS and it said Fatal Error after it went through.

I've done a search and I am trying to avoid relaunching the OS
    12-15-08 04:22 PM
    there may be other ways than wiping and reinstalling the OS, some of the vets on here might be able to help. Other than that these are about the only ways to get it going that I know of.

go to part 2 of the first link

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...l_cmder-53502/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ckberry-32322/
    12-15-08 04:29 PM
    You could have fried it with that non-standard charger you used.

I still don't know why people insist on using non-certified chargers with their phones.
    12-15-08 04:34 PM
    I have a car charger adapter that accepts any usb cable. I plugged the cable that the storm came with into it today and now I have a dead black screen and it won't turn on. When it's connected to the computer the red light is on, but still will not turn on.

Can I somehow wipe the phone and start over? Will I be able to wipe the phone if I can't see a display?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    If its is not a standard BB car charger, then I may have to agree with JRSCcivic that you may have fried your BB.
    12-15-08 04:39 PM
    You could have fried it with that non-standard charger you used.

I still don't know why people insist on using non-certified chargers with their phones.
    I received a universal car charger from the vz store.

I was worried at first but it seems to work fine

12-15-08 04:45 PM
    OK, you didn't brick your phone. I don't like to lie but for you OK.

J/K
    It's tuff to assess, usually thats why they make specific car chargers for your phone. As sometimes the power regulators on other devices chargers can fluctuate current. But even then it's highly unlikely, if it happened exactly when you plugged into it. Then most likely yes. Whether theres a simple fix? I can't say, I would take myself back every step before this happened and try the opposite. But anything you try is 50-50 meaning your either s4#t out of luck or lucky to reverse what happened.
    12-15-08 04:46 PM
    sorry to post a semi-irrelevant question, but i have a car charger for my magellion gps which is also micro-usb, my friend used to use it to charge his sidekick lx and now his g1 when he's in my car... would i be putting my storm at risk if i use this charger for it?
    12-15-08 04:58 PM
    sorry to post a semi-irrelevant question, but i have a car charger for my magellion gps which is also micro-usb, my friend used to use it to charge his sidekick lx and now his g1 when he's in my car... would i be putting my storm at risk if i use this charger for it?
    I use my vehicle charger that I purchased for my 7130e/8830 to charge my Garmin. I didn't experience any problems there. I don't know if I would have tried the reverse though. I think it pays to buy accessories meant for the device you are using when it comes to cell phones.
    12-15-08 05:02 PM
    It's fried. I've fried two of them using Motorola chargers. My brother fried his with a standard micro usb car charger as well. Call VZW data support and they should give you replacement.
    12-15-08 05:12 PM
    I'm using the Verizon micro-USB car charger and I haven't had any issues with it.

12-15-08 05:57 PM
    Wow, I was thinking of using a universal adpater like that but decided to get the 12V cord from Verizon instead. Glad I did! Sorry, I have no advice, but I hope everything works out!
    12-15-08 06:59 PM
    What is funny about all of your responses is that when I first bough the phone on release day, I was complaining that accessories such as car chargers and cases were not available yet.

ALL of the replies I got in that thread were telling me to quit complaining and use the usb it came with and an adapter.

Now, what I did just a second ago was try to reconnect to DM, reinstall .75 over the current version on the phone and voila, problem solved.

Thanks for all your help and DO NOT use an adapter to charge in the car!!!

Lesson learned.
    12-15-08 08:33 PM
    glad you got it goin' bud. I got mine on release day as well and there was no accessories available in store at all.
    12-15-08 11:09 PM
    What is funny about all of your responses is that when I first bough the phone on release day, I was complaining that accessories such as car chargers and cases were not available yet.

ALL of the replies I got in that thread were telling me to quit complaining and use the usb it came with and an adapter.

Now, what I did just a second ago was try to reconnect to DM, reinstall .75 over the current version on the phone and voila, problem solved.

Thanks for all your help and DO NOT use an adapter to charge in the car!!!

Lesson learned.

just to test the thoery..

I just tried my iPhone connecter that has a "usb" to standard car plugin works great charges turns on not a problem..

it could have been a defective unit

the truth is a USB connector should technically supply the same amount of power as a USB on a computer.. if its used for the same purpose..

some electronics expert help me with that one

I am just saying that it might not be true.. and may have just been some defect..

keep in mind the one I used to test was the one certified for use by apple with the iPhone so I trusted the company who made it as well.

yes it wasn't certified for the storm but I took my chances..
    12-15-08 11:18 PM
    When i got mine they told me not to charge it with the car charger they gave me for at least the first week....why?
    12-15-08 11:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD