I downloaded and installed the new 5.0 upgrade last night, and as soon as the device backlight timer goes black, it never comes on until I do a battery pull. I see the new blackberry startup progress bar, it comes up again, then the display is out. I downgraded to 4.7.0.148 and it was working fine, then tried upgrading and it came back. Anyone have any ideas on this? I haven't seen this in the forum searches.

Thank you
    10-26-09 09:31 AM
    I'm not joking here--did you try to rotate the screen to force a change from landscape to portrait or vice versa?
    10-26-09 09:39 AM
    i have the same problem, and it's very annoying. i either have to make sure the display does not go black, or do a battery pull every time that it does. happened only after i installed the new software, and now, until the issue is resolved, my storm is essentially useless. please help!
    10-26-09 09:42 AM
    I'm not joking here--did you try to rotate the screen to force a change from landscape to portrait or vice versa?
    i tried rotating it, pressing buttons, pressing the screen, changing display settings.
    10-26-09 09:43 AM
    That's weird...mine did that right after I installed the new software. I had to do a battery pull a few times but then it worked normally.
    10-26-09 09:44 AM
    I tried rotating, tried a few pulls, and even dialed the phone to see what happened. Stayed black.
    10-26-09 09:56 AM
    I had same with mine found out i had themes changed that i down loaded third party. I had downloaded to change the icons so i had to go back to the old BB theme. might help check ur themes.
    10-26-09 10:00 AM
    I don't have any other theme besides the standard theme. I don't really even have too many apps either as I became a stickler with the memory over the last few months. I am reinstalling 5.0 now.

I do notice one other thing - upon reconnecting to my device after the upgrade, on the new Blackberry loading screen with the progress bar, it hangs for a bit longer than normal right above the "back" key while it is sitting in the dock on my desk. It will eventually complete and load up, but not too long the problem starts. I am going to try a bunch more battery pulls to see what happens.

Any other thoughts? Thanks all...
    10-26-09 10:12 AM
    Yeah, mine kept doing the same thing, but it was going to an "all white" screen. switching it from landscape to portrait and back seemed to fix it though...
    10-26-09 10:26 AM
    Pulled the battery 5 times now - rotating does nothing. The LED status light blinks, but there is nothing on the screen - just darkened out. Anything else to try?
    10-26-09 10:46 AM
    my install came through fine, but my wife's finished with a blank white screen. it went from that to a blank black screen after rotating to landscape and pressing the power button to cycle the power off then on. a batt pull seemed to fix the white/black blank screens, but then there were several java exception errors. I reloaded the entire thing from the install file and it seems to run fine now, but i'm still skeptical.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-26-09 10:48 AM
    Im in the same boat. i can click the screen and the bottom buttons will light up but no screen. done a few pulls and nothing. going to downgrade.
    10-26-09 10:51 AM
    Same here - going to downgrade and leave it. Obviously, this was not ready yet but Verizon had to rush it to band aid people over Storm2 coming out. I'm hoping this issue expands and they release another OS and FAST.
    10-26-09 10:58 AM
    The same thing happened to me when I tried upgrading. I wasn't able to reload 4.7 though. I had to take it in to Verizon and they said they also couldn't get it working after they downgraded my OS. They had to replace the phone.
    10-26-09 11:05 AM
    Same problem here. If I don't keep the the phone awake, the screen will stay dark. It is getting power (took it into a dark room and could see that it was not off, merely blank). Very frustrating indeed. I've done over a dozen battery pulls, no luck.
    10-26-09 11:48 AM
    One thing I didn't mention, is that I am using Windows 7. I am using BBDM 5.0 and there are no compatibility issues as far as I know. I'm debating installing the service pack, and then trying 5.0 again - but I doubt it's worth the effort. Has anyone else seen this in another thread or site? Is it really just a select few of us?

Thanks!
    10-26-09 02:01 PM
    i have the same problem, and it's very annoying. i either have to make sure the display does not go black, or do a battery pull every time that it does. happened only after i installed the new software, and now, until the issue is resolved, my storm is essentially useless. please help!
    As I said before, same thing here... I just took my phone in and they asked practically no questions and swapped the phone out. My camera quit working months ago, but I didn't want to go through the hassle of getting a replacement. My wife had the exact same display problem on her second Storm and is on her third Storm. This is my second. About as reliable as the Xbox 360, as far as I can see.
    10-26-09 08:04 PM
    ok i downloaded the new solfware and like i have a theme from crackberry and it dont work on the side view
    10-26-09 08:17 PM
    how do yu go back to the old version
    10-26-09 08:18 PM
    One thing I didn't mention, is that I am using Windows 7. I am using BBDM 5.0 and there are no compatibility issues as far as I know. I'm debating installing the service pack, and then trying 5.0 again - but I doubt it's worth the effort. Has anyone else seen this in another thread or site? Is it really just a select few of us?

Thanks!
    Sounds similar to an old problem. Put the storm back in your case and move it out slowly. May have to repeat the process 2 or 3 times. This usually gets the screen out of sleep mode. I had. A similar problem. Some have reported that the problem is caused by some themes

10-26-09 09:39 PM
    Sounds similar to an old problem. Put the storm back in your case and move it out slowly. May have to repeat the process 2 or 3 times. This usually gets the screen out of sleep mode. I had. A similar problem. Some have reported that the problem is caused by some themes

Thanks, tried it yesterday with no luck. I also haven't had a theme on here in a few months and have wiped the device since then.
    10-27-09 09:34 AM
    I'll be darned if the last posting didn't work for me. I've been rebooting (always works) and turning the phone on and off over and over (sometimes works). I holstered/unholstered and on the 3rd time, the screen "woke up". Why??? Still a pain, but thanks to Roadbiker for at least a fix which may work a little better.

Maybe I just need to put a giant electromagnet next to it and zap it once in awhile...
    10-27-09 12:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD