Hi, I did a search and didn't find anything really concrete on this.

Does PINing (or Blackberry Messenger) use the data plan? I'm pretty sure it doesn't use SMS.

One of my friends is planning to cancel his data plan on his Blackberry (he got it for free, just uses as a phone). I presume after he cancels his data plan, he will not be able to PIN.

Can someone elaborate on this?
    03-31-09 12:40 PM
    bbm uses data, not txts

bottom line no data=no bbm(OR REAL REASON TO OWN A BB)
    03-31-09 12:42 PM
    and PIN messaging just piggy backs on top of BBM.

yeah, i tried explaining why you need data to use blackberry.
    03-31-09 12:44 PM
    Yes it uses a small amount of data, but as you correctly pointed out it does not count against your SMS/MMS allotment.
    +1
    10 char
    The only thing that uses SMS/MMS credit is the sending/receiving of SMS/MMS messages. Everything else, unless it explicitly states otherwise, uses data.
    lol just read i wrote, didnt mean to sound rude or nething. my bad
    03-31-09 12:46 PM
    Great. Thanks. I just wanted to confirm it before I tell him (and his GF) the correct/wrong info.
    03-31-09 12:46 PM
    lol just read i wrote, didnt mean to sound rude or nething. my bad
    No, it's completely understandable, lol. I told him there are plenty of advantages of using the data plan. He's not very technical savy. He just really uses the phone just to call. We (his GF and I) finally got him to start texting and AIM'ing (and PINing) so hopefully he'll keep the data plan, lol.
    03-31-09 12:48 PM
    Ya it uses data... But why have a bb if your only going to use the phone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-09 12:55 PM
    i don't think his GF/fiance gave him a choice. lol.
    03-31-09 01:10 PM
    He's not on Verizon is he?
    03-31-09 01:27 PM
    i don't think his GF/fiance gave him a choice. lol.
    *hears a whip cracking in the distance*
    03-31-09 01:34 PM
    well this certainly helps me out. I was afraid to start bb messaging on my phone worried it would take up my text messages that I have so I guess I should be good to go then huh?
    03-31-09 01:39 PM
    So if you're travelling and you use BBM, do you get data charges up the ying yang?
    03-31-09 01:52 PM
    So if you're travelling and you use BBM, do you get data charges up the ying yang?
    Yup... That would be correct...
    03-31-09 01:56 PM
    well this certainly helps me out. I was afraid to start bb messaging on my phone worried it would take up my text messages that I have so I guess I should be good to go then huh?
    Yup, your good to go... Since I got my BB I very rarely sms anymore even though I have unlimited... BBM is so much better.
    03-31-09 01:58 PM
    For a long time, I had a pay-as-you-go data plan with my Treo (which is no longer available or the VZW rep tried to sell the data plan to me). Then when I upgraded to the Storm, I was told that if you want to have a Blackberry on your account, a data plan is a required feature and you cannot remove the data plan with a Blackberry on your account.

But who knows, those words came from a VZW store rep.
    03-31-09 02:07 PM
    Yup, your good to go... Since I got my BB I very rarely sms anymore even though I have unlimited... BBM is so much better.
    Awesome, I haven't tried it out yet so I'm interested to see how well it works.
    03-31-09 02:24 PM
    I believe the data plan is required. It's in the contract that your buddy signed. Hope he like it, cuz he's stuck with it or I suppose he could sell the phone and change his plan. (starting the contract over again and being further entrapped in verizon's web)
    03-31-09 02:45 PM
    If the guy's GF/fiancee is making him give up the BB data plan, it seems he needs to exert a little more yang. I doubt he's getting much yin, either.
    03-31-09 02:57 PM
    he's on tmobile. they go through some asian run shop where they use loopholes to cut the best deal for customers.

but anyways, it's not that his gf/fiance is making him give up the BB data plan, he just doesn't want to pay $25/month for it. we're trying to get him to use text/aim/pin so he'll want to pay the $25/month for it. lol.

oh, sorry, i have a verizon storm. they have the blackberry curve (two of them). i figure i could ask a PIN question in here anyways, lol.
    03-31-09 03:22 PM
    no bbm doesnt use that much data but you will get charged, according to whatever international charges apply
    03-31-09 03:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD