Anybody else having problems with pictures that were taken with the storm being sent sideways/upside down (via sms, or two myspace/facebook). I tried rotating the pics and still no luck. I did a search and couldnt find this being addressed, if i missed it, my apologies. Im thinking it may be have to do with the orientation of the phone when originally taken ( I hope not as this would be pretty fustrating). It rotates automatically when viewing the picture on the phone, just not when it is sent out.
    12-29-08 11:24 PM
    the storm is set up to take pix in landscape only. if it is taken in portrait it automatically rotates it.
    12-29-08 11:26 PM
    Yea, I have had the same problem and I think your right. I think the way the phone was positioned when taking the picture plays a part in it unfortunately..hopefully I am wrong...in any case, hope its fixed with the next update.
    12-29-08 11:26 PM
    Just like Rooster stated.....its set up to take pictures sideways in Landscape mode. The other way will make your pictures come out sideways.
    12-29-08 11:33 PM
    Yeah, it just so happens that the orientation of the phone when the picture is taken determines the size and shape of the picture you're taking. Pictures taken when the phone are horizontal are 1536x2048 and in the vertical position they are 768x1024.
    12-29-08 11:35 PM
    Which landscape mode is correct? Call and End buttons to the left or right?
    12-29-08 11:43 PM
    Which landscape mode is correct? Call and End buttons to the left or right?
    To the right. Right handed configuration basically (meaning you'd hit the back / end / menu buttons with right hand). Also keeps the right side shortcut key on top this way, use to snap the photo.
    12-29-08 11:48 PM
    This seems odd - if I take a photo on my phone in portrait, it'll display properly in portrait. If I take it in landscape, it'll display properly in portrait also - just smaller, only filling the screen entirely when I change the orientation to landscape.

Interestingly, however - and also annoyingly - pics sent to me as MMS from anyone ALSO insist on rotating out of proper orientation.

Any fix for this?
    12-30-08 12:58 AM
    sosai x has a point, why does it rotate it when its right to begin with? sems like a bug.
    12-30-08 01:01 AM
    This seems odd - if I take a photo on my phone in portrait, it'll display properly in portrait. If I take it in landscape, it'll display properly in portrait also - just smaller, only filling the screen entirely when I change the orientation to landscape.

Interestingly, however - and also annoyingly - pics sent to me as MMS from anyone ALSO insist on rotating out of proper orientation.

Any fix for this?
    Just rotate the picture once you get it.
    12-30-08 02:08 AM
    Just rotate the picture once you get it.
    Isn't that only an option if you choose to save it? What if it's something I don't wish to save?

Ideally, RIM will fix this (minor, but annoying) problem.
    12-30-08 02:57 AM
    I've had people comment on me sending them pictures and they always ask me why its rotated. I tell them its not. I guess I was wrong all the time. I've taken pictures with my Dare and it was always sent to them upright no matter which way I took the pic. Whether it is in landscape or portrait it was always sent the way it was taken. I think this should be fixed.
    12-30-08 03:06 AM
    I've had people comment on me sending them pictures and they always ask me why its rotated.

I've had the same experience - regardless of sending from my Storm to a "normal" cell phone or any other Storm. It's always sideways.
    12-30-08 03:31 AM
    It's not a bug, read your book that came with the phone...hold the phone with the call buttons to the RIGHT so it looks like a camera with the shutter button on top. If you take in portrait mode, it will save it in that orientation. Also, maybe tell your friends to rotate their phone so they can see the pic correctly?
    12-30-08 03:43 AM
    It's not a bug, read your book that came with the phone...hold the phone with the call buttons to the RIGHT so it looks like a camera with the shutter button on top. If you take in portrait mode, it will save it in that orientation. Also, maybe tell your friends to rotate their phone so they can see the pic correctly?

Okay, first off - yes, taking a photo in portrait mode saves in that orientation, but taking one in landscape saves in landscape. Sending a photo taken in either orientation always ends up with the recipient seeing it turned sideways.

Second, the "shutter button" is also the BUTTON ON THE SCREEN. Can't imagine RIM would have included that if they'd meant for everyone to use solely the right convenience key.

Third, what if my friend has a Storm? When they rotate - guess what happens, seeing as their phone has an accelerometer that tries to always display what it senses as "up," up?

So much for making others turn their Storm to see a received photo correctly.

Look, fact of the matter is this HAS to be a bug - why else would the Storm take photos in both landscape and portrait if the intent was to only see them in landscape? Or turn photos sent by others on their side as well?
    Last edited by Sosai X; 12-30-08 at 04:35 AM.
    12-30-08 04:01 AM
    Okay, first off - yes, taking a photo in portrait mode saves in that orientation, but taking one in landscape saves in landscape. Sending a photo taken in either orientation always ends up with the recipient seeing it turned sideways.

Second, the "shutter button" is also the BUTTON ON THE SCREEN. Can't imagine RIM would have included that if they'd meant for everyone to use solely the right convenience key.

Third, what if my friend has a Storm? When they rotate - guess what happens, seeing as their phone has an accelerometer that tries to always display what it senses as "up," up?

So much for making others turn their Storm to see a received photo correctly.

Look, fact of the matter is this HAS to be a bug - why else would the Storm take photos in both landscape and portrait if the intent was to only see them in landscape? Or turn photos sent by others on their side as well?
    First & third points, correct on one...but that would happen with any phone w/a camera depending on the orientation of how it was taken. My gf & I both have Storms and send/share pics...sometimes while sitting right next to each other. Haven't had the issue of me taking it one way and her not seeing it as intended. So, but if its a bug its a bug for you...I don't recall any other posts concerning the camera that included this issue.

Second point, also correct...there is a shutter button on the screen meaning sure, use this as well...however, the convenience key is dedicated as the shutter when the phone is in camera mode. You can change it to be nothing (as I did w/mine to prevent unintended pictures of the inside of my coat) but it is still first and foremost the shutter key for the camera, camera being held landscape like a camera. Why push the screen when there is a button? Makes no sense to me.
    12-30-08 06:00 AM
    Second point, also correct...there is a shutter button on the screen meaning sure, use this as well...however, the convenience key is dedicated as the shutter when the phone is in camera mode. You can change it to be nothing (as I did w/mine to prevent unintended pictures of the inside of my coat) but it is still first and foremost the shutter key for the camera, camera being held landscape like a camera. Why push the screen when there is a button? Makes no sense to me.
    I push it when i am holding it in portrait mode cause my thumb rests right on it. and thus when I sand it in a MMS, it is turned sideway even if it is something that is "working as intended" I feel there should be at least an option in MMS to be able to rotate the picture. and I am pretty sure I have seen other posts about this, I just don't think it's everyone biggest problem some users are having with the camera and thus not getting tons of attention.

edit: I also wanna add that a lot of people I think changed the convenience key. I personally didn't, but I mean there is a button on screen for a reason and it should work just as well.
    Last edited by Vacuus Dilectio; 12-30-08 at 06:54 AM.
    12-30-08 06:51 AM
    I push it when i am holding it in portrait mode cause my thumb rests right on it. and thus when I sand it in a MMS, it is turned sideway even if it is something that is "working as intended" I feel there should be at least an option in MMS to be able to rotate the picture. and I am pretty sure I have seen other posts about this, I just don't think it's everyone biggest problem some users are having with the camera and thus not getting tons of attention.

edit: I also wanna add that a lot of people I think changed the convenience key. I personally didn't, but I mean there is a button on screen for a reason and it should work just as well.
    That makes sense, and if it works for you then cool. Most of the camera / picture / video posts have been about lag, etc. Honestly haven't seen the pic orientation issue though. Are you running .85?
    12-30-08 07:06 AM
    yes I am running .85 an my camera is very good. not so much lag anymore (sometimes when mem is running a little low) but that is what most of the posts are about. I used to have the freezing issure as well with video but that's gone for me.
    12-30-08 07:26 AM
    yes I am running .85 an my camera is very good. not so much lag anymore (sometimes when mem is running a little low) but that is what most of the posts are about. I used to have the freezing issure as well with video but that's gone for me.
    Did you disable the image stabilization? If not, totally makes the camera snap much faster.
    12-30-08 07:38 AM
    +1

I've uploaded pictures on flickr and they constantly rotate so my pictures are sideways. Has anyone figured out how to change this yet?
    01-07-09 01:17 AM
    LOL... how come whether I take pictures in landscape OR portrait, they turn out exactly how I thought they would, and when I send them or upload them they also turn out exactly how I thought they would?
    01-07-09 05:30 AM
    To the right. Right handed configuration basically (meaning you'd hit the back / end / menu buttons with right hand). Also keeps the right side shortcut key on top this way, use to snap the photo.

weird it feels much more natural for the buttons to be on the left... and i am a righty...
    01-07-09 08:32 AM
    This is very annoying. If I upload to any site, I have to go rotate the pictures. No matter what orientation I take them in. Pics I send to anyone via email, MMS, facebook, or BB Messenger are always sideways.

Not a deal breaker for taking pics with the storm and .86 has drastically improved the camera for me. Still... it's annoying.
    Last edited by Pelvir; 01-16-09 at 10:09 PM.
    01-16-09 09:59 PM
    I am having the same issue with my Storm. I had the issue with the Verizon approved OS and I still have the issue with 4.7.0.90. If I take the picture in either landscape or portrait mode, it is always sideways.

It is really a pain when I want to send the pic to someone, twitter a photo or post it to flickr.

Anyone else found a way around this??
    01-23-09 02:59 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD