Well today is the day! I'll be heading over to Best Buy later to pick up my new addiction, but I was wondering if there's anything I should know before I go.

I've never bought from Best Buy mobile before and I have no clue what the major differences are from picking it up at a corporate store. I will be signing a new 2 year contract, and will be getting the 29.99 BB plan.

Would I be getting a better deal at VZW insurance/price wise? I've heard that Best Buy has a better replacement policy, which might be good since this is a new phone and will likely see it's fair share of unexpected glitches/defects over time.

Any input appreciated!
    11-24-08 09:51 AM
    Great! in and out in 30 minutes.
    11-24-08 09:53 AM
    It was good for me but they had no clue on the phone. like you will need to buy a new car charger old one doesnt work.
    11-24-08 10:15 AM
    Great experience. Best Buy is always da bomb!
    11-24-08 10:16 AM
    Let me preface this by saying that I'm a Best Buy Mobile Wireless consultant so I may be a bit partial

The main difference in BBYM over corporate or direct stores is straightforward pricing. We don't hassle with mail-in rebates and 99% of the time, our pricing is lower than what you would pay at the direct store.

Example: The Storm at the Verizon store is $249.99 with a $50 Visa card mail-in rebate with a new 2 year activation or qualified upgrade. Our price is $199.99 UP FRONT with no rebates.

The insurance options are identical if you want to go with the carrier insurance. Same price, same coverage. The main difference in our insurance versus the carriers is 2 things. 1) NO deductible to replace a handset. If we can't fix it, we'll give you another one free of charge. 2) If your phone is out for repairs, we'll give you a loaner phone to use for free until yours comes back from the shop. However, our insurance does not provide for a lost or stolen phone, so if that is a common occurrence for you, i would recommend the carrier insurance. Otherwise, the BBY Black Tie Protection will be best.
    11-24-08 10:18 AM
    Great experience, though I wish I could have used my NE2

all in all a great experience though, considering people waited for hours and many didn't even get a phone at local vzw stores.
    11-24-08 10:30 AM
    I was the first preorder at my best buy so I had to deal with the vzw computer issues. Not much info about the phone from reps. They couldn't do my ne2 but all it took was a call to vow and they gave me the credit.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-08 10:36 AM
    one thing you should know. if you have not been in contact with bb to let them know you still want the phone, it may noy be there.

i bought one yesterday from bb (not in nj) and after telling me they were sold out, the mobile manager said there was one pre order that had not been picked up. since it had been 2 days and they had not heard from the person, she sold it to me

they are getting more tomorrow, though.
    11-24-08 10:38 AM
    No issues here. I'm so happy w/ this device.
    11-24-08 10:43 AM
    So far not good for me, but i just spoke with online help and they are escalating the matter. So I should have an answer in 12 hours and shipping in 24.
    11-24-08 10:44 AM
    my visit went great. guy had a little problem with the registers but he was in no way aggrevated to find a register that works. just make sure you say something like "is that free bt headset still included" just to remind them you get one.
    11-24-08 10:45 AM
    no issues I picked mine up friday at 300pm and had no wait. In and out in less that 30. I am so glad I pre-ordered mine becuase I did not want to have to wait at a VZW store in a line and then maybe not get one. All in all great experience, I also got the BB plan instead of the VZW one I think it would be much better.
    11-24-08 10:50 AM
    PERFECT. Even price matched my VIP discount so i paid $150.00 They had a verizon employee there so it went quick. I even downgraded my BB plan and voice plan. Saved 30 a month. Got it at 10:10 out by 10:30 thumbs up
    11-24-08 11:09 AM
    Just a heads up (this is my first post, but i've been checking the site often)...I went to Best Buy yesterday with little hope of getting a Storm, but to my surprise they had one left. Once I realized the deal (199, free bluetooth, no mail in rebate), I thought it was a great deal. Anyways I was told they couldn't process my order because I'm on a corporate account and they can't access my account. So just a warning to anyone expecting to pick one up with a corporate account, they won't fulfill the order.
    11-24-08 11:27 AM
    Great -- got it for $199 and got the free bluetooth headset.

Only drawback was that it took them 2.5 hours!! to activate my account and my wife's (she got the voyager) and transfer our phone #s from AT&T
    11-24-08 11:31 AM
    Is there supposed to be a free bluetooth headset with the storm at all Best Buy? I didnt get one and it didnt look like anyone else who did at that location got one either.

I had a good experience at BB, the employee who handled my sale was super nice. The only bad thing was that the computers were down for over an hour so I had to wait. They also didnt have enough units to cover the preorders so they were a couple short. They activated the phone in probably less than 20 minutes. I'd buy a phone from them again.
    11-24-08 11:56 AM
    Also got my new BB friday @ 1130 was in and out in 20 min. Was really surprised when they gave me the bluetooth. Glad I pre-ordered thru Best Buy.
    11-24-08 12:00 PM
    Picked up my BB storm on Friday as well. Although my representative had no clue what he was doing as far as activating the phone, I was happy with the service and the pre-order initiative. They also threw in the Bluetooth headset which was quite a deal considering I walked out the door by renewing my contract for only $169 after taxes.

I stopped by the local Verizon store prior to my 9a pickup at Bestbuy and VZW was sold out within 45 minutes of opening.
    I also ended up having to take my BB storm to the local VZW store to have them transfer my data/phonebook from my Treo to the BB Storm, so you may want to stop by a local verizon store just to double check your plan and any other options that you may come across at the Verizon store.
    11-24-08 12:05 PM
    With the exception of being delayed a day, my experience was awesome. The lady took care of me in about 20 minutes, got a bluetooth headset with it. Didn't need it, but never hurts to have another one. Was the first time dealing with the Best Buy Mobile section. How many people got the BB insurance? Now thinking about it, I think I'm going to sign up for it. I destroy phones. They're telling me that verizon doesn't cover broken screens because it's a touch screen?? that true?
    11-24-08 12:22 PM
    Our GSBTP(Geek Squad Black Tie Protection) covers essentially everything but loss of the device itself. No deductible either. Anything within reason is covered.

If you didn't add the GSBTP at the time of the sale, no worries, you have 30 days from the original purchase date to add it.
    11-24-08 01:01 PM
    Is there supposed to be a free bluetooth headset with the storm at all Best Buy? I didnt get one and it didnt look like anyone else who did at that location got one either.

I did -- but I had to ask about it ... I don't think they would've offered it unless I asked about it (they didn't mention it the first 1.5 hours I was there)
    11-24-08 01:11 PM
    How much is that GSBTP? Is it a monthly fee, or an upfront kinda thing.
    11-24-08 01:12 PM
    "The insurance options are identical if you want to go with the carrier insurance. Same price, same coverage. The main difference in our insurance versus the carriers is 2 things. 1) NO deductible to replace a handset. If we can't fix it, we'll give you another one free of charge. 2) If your phone is out for repairs, we'll give you a loaner phone to use for free until yours comes back from the shop. However, our insurance does not provide for a lost or stolen phone, so if that is a common occurrence for you, i would recommend the carrier insurance. Otherwise, the BBY Black Tie Protection will be best."

One major difference is Best Buy (if phone is not repairable) will replace it with a brand new phone whereas the carrier insurance will replace it with a "refurbished" one if available, if not then and only then will you get a new one.
    11-24-08 01:20 PM
    Ok, anybody know the price of the BB Black Tie Protection.
    11-24-08 03:22 PM
    My exp. went great!! Was actually the first one to buy from my local Best Buy. They only received 6 there. Had a 10am app. was out by 10:30am.

They had no clue as to how to work the device. Which turned out good because the last thing I wanted was other time and other dirty fingers spent on "MY" new storm.
    11-24-08 03:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD