Verizon Wireless to launch its own Samsung Ubicell - Engadget Mobile

have your own cell site

[edit] it appears they don't allow data, so not really that exciting or worth it unless you can't make calls, sorry
    Last edited by sarky; 10-25-08 at 06:55 PM.
    10-25-08 02:09 PM
    Sorry, but I would rather pay an extra $100 upfront for WiFi in my device than to have to buy this. You are going to have to pay for the device, and then add on ANOTHER Verizon monthly fee. It will probably be almost exactly like Sprint does it, but since it's Verizon, it will probably cost you more money. WiFi is a simple, cheaper solution. This thing is another money draining experience.

Sprint AIRAVE review - Engadget Mobile

That is Sprint version. Prices are listed on the bottom.

EDIT- I would also never pay for this because if you have bad service in your area, your carrier should be trying to improve it, buying this just gives them more money and makes them lazier with improvements (Why should they improve their service area when they can make an extra $14-$40 a month from people using this thing?).
    Last edited by avt123; 10-25-08 at 03:57 PM.
    10-25-08 03:50 PM
    i just posted it because it looked like a solution people may want if they get the storm. i can see your point on the price.

no use to me personally, wrong continent.
    10-25-08 04:08 PM
    i just posted it because it looked like a solution people may want if they get the storm. i can see your point on the price.

no use to me personally, wrong continent.
    Yea I saw O2 as your carrier. I know you were trying to be helpful, and I'm sure some people will probably buy it.
    10-25-08 04:12 PM
    My only question is this does it act like wifi so i can connect to my computer through this device or is it just like having a skype type setup?? when using the skype handsets?

And I agree that I am using my internet I am paying for to make phone calls so why do I need to pay more than the 4.99 a month for unlimited calls. And as for the unlimited calls that would be the only benefit as long as it is inexpensive.
    10-25-08 05:06 PM
    I know tmobile brought out that HotSpot @Home stuff to 1. improve areas of wifi connections and 2. Its another excuse to not upgrade / expand towers. It allows customers to have perfect reception on wifi. But then again ita just VOIP. (Or similar to it)

I have yet to have any majorbissues with verizon service.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-08 05:11 PM
    My only question is this does it act like wifi so i can connect to my computer through this device or is it just like having a skype type setup?? when using the skype handsets?

And I agree that I am using my internet I am paying for to make phone calls so why do I need to pay more than the 4.99 a month for unlimited calls. And as for the unlimited calls that would be the only benefit as long as it is inexpensive.
    i believe its supposed to be an actual mini cell tower so it could be used by any verizon phone as it uses cdma no wifi, it's only just gone through the fcc so there is no information on pricing. i would expect that as it uses you phone line you should get unlimited calls as part of the plan you have to pay for it.
    10-25-08 05:23 PM
    Wait, wifi doesnt matter for calls on VZW. You can only make calls on their CDMA network. So the only need for Wifi is so you can use data faster? REV A is very fast...and if you dont have that near you, then you have REV 0 which is still very fast. Stop complaining...everyone.
    10-25-08 06:19 PM
    Wait, wifi doesnt matter for calls on VZW. You can only make calls on their CDMA network. So the only need for Wifi is so you can use data faster? REV A is very fast...and if you dont have that near you, then you have REV 0 which is still very fast. Stop complaining...everyone.
    I don't think anyone was really complaining. Just a discussion about a in home cell site.
    10-25-08 06:47 PM
    I don't think anyone was really complaining. Just a discussion about a in home cell site.
    Oh ok, just wanted to make sure everyone was informed lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-08 07:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD