So I'm being sent to Kadena, AB in Okinawa Japan; I just signed a contract with Verizon a few months ago and got a Storm, knowing that I may need to make use of its "global" capabilities. So I have a couple of options I suppose: unlock the sim and use a local one - and getting a local number, or getting international roaming and keeping my number.

Primarily my calls will be to US numbers though, which is my problem. As I gather, Verizon's international roaming is pretty ridiculously expensive. If I show them my orders I can cancel my contract with them whenever I want without the cancellation fee, so that won't be a problem.

My other problem is that, when/if deployed, I have to wonder (if I get a local sim) how I'd make calls since my guess is that it's unlikely to there'd be many options if any for providers in the middle east.

Any input would appreciated,
    Thanks

Edit: I know it may be blasphemy, but should the Storm not workout for my needs, and since I don't know as much as I'd like to about international frequencies, would this phone work almost worldwide? I think it would atleast work with Tmobile in the US and supports a variety of frequencies...
    Last edited by Tyorik; 03-08-09 at 09:08 PM.
    03-08-09 08:48 PM
    There are a couple of sites and forums dedicated to the needs of folks stationed in Okinawa. That might help you get the best info on how to use your mobile. There's a reasonable chance that NTT DoCoMo has coverage there on the 2100 (3G W-CDMA) band. You can try to cross-reference these two maps:

time2pcs.com/images/maps/okinawa%20japan%20(military%20bases%20shaded).jpg

nttdocomo.co.jp/english/support/area/kyushu/foma/map/kyushu_okinawa.html

Otherwise, you may be out of luck with your Storm, since VERIZON does not have a roaming agreement with Au/KDDI, Japan's CDMA provider.
    03-09-09 12:26 AM
    So I'm being sent to Kadena, AB in Okinawa Japan; I just signed a contract with Verizon a few months ago and got a Storm, knowing that I may need to make use of its "global" capabilities. So I have a couple of options I suppose: unlock the sim and use a local one - and getting a local number, or getting international roaming and keeping my number.

Primarily my calls will be to US numbers though, which is my problem. As I gather, Verizon's international roaming is pretty ridiculously expensive. If I show them my orders I can cancel my contract with them whenever I want without the cancellation fee, so that won't be a problem.

My other problem is that, when/if deployed, I have to wonder (if I get a local sim) how I'd make calls since my guess is that it's unlikely to there'd be many options if any for providers in the middle east.

Any input would appreciated,
    Thanks

Edit: I know it may be blasphemy, but should the Storm not workout for my needs, and since I don't know as much as I'd like to about international frequencies, would this phone work almost worldwide? I think it would atleast work with Tmobile in the US and supports a variety of frequencies...
    This phone is a true world phone it has all of the frequencies that are being used around the world in it. Verizon won't cancel your contract but they will suspend it for the length of your orders and hold your number for up to 2 years while it is suspended. Your best bet would be to have them unlock the phone allowing you to use local SIM cards for local calling while you are over there. As far as calling back to the US I would recommend setting up Skype accounts for yourself and the primary people that you would be talking to back in the US. Skype to Skype is free worldwide. The only downside is that you need to have a broadband internet connection around with a PC to use the cheap versions of it. They have some phones that are basically VoIP that don't require the PC but they are a little pricey.
    03-09-09 12:34 AM
    This may sound dumb but, since you said most of your calls are back home, IF they are verzion customers too, can't you just ask a verizon rep "Hey my calls back here are free right?", And hope for the best.

I already know the answer is going to be no, but it wouldnt hurt to ask right?
    03-09-09 01:08 AM
    This may sound dumb but, since you said most of your calls are back home, IF they are verzion customers too, can't you just ask a verizon rep "Hey my calls back here are free right?", And hope for the best.

I already know the answer is going to be no, but it wouldnt hurt to ask right?
    It would be good for a laugh at least.
    03-09-09 01:11 AM
    Yes, a VOIP would be the best advice I could give for your international calls.

As for your Verizon contract, I know it's dirty, but Verizon plays dirty just like all the other phone companies...

What I do when I need to cancel my contract for any service provider is, I call them and tell them I'm PCSing. They will, of course, initially say that they can suspend your service for up to two years. As you know, a PCS may last for more than that, so I tell them that isn't good enough. They then ask for a copy of my orders, which are completely confidential...

So, I then white out over all of the information other than my name (including the dates and gaining and losing bases) and send them a copy via fax and they cancel my service without any penalty whatsoever.

Legally, they can't stop you and they can't ask for any more information. Your case is legitimate, and there are laws to protect them from taking advantage of you and penalizing you for serving your country. So if you follow the directions there, you should be fine...

And if you need further clarification, feel free to PIN me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by stillborn86; 03-09-09 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Spelling errors
    03-09-09 01:17 AM
    Yes, a VOIP would be the best advice I could give for your international calls.

As for your Verizon contract, I know it's dirty, but Verizon plays dirty just like all the other phone companies...

What I do when I need to cancel my contract for any service provider is, I call them and tell them I'm PCSing. They will, of course, initially say that they can suspend your service for up to two years. As you know, a PCS may last for more than that, so I tell them that isn't good enough. They then ask for a copy of my orders, which are completely confidential...

So, I then white out over all of the information other than my name (including the dates and gaining and losing bases) and send them a copy via fax and they cancel my service without any penalty whatsoever.

Legally, they can't stop you and they can't ask for any more information. Your case is legitimate, and there are laws to protect them from taking advantage of you and penalizing you for serving your country. So if you follow the directions there, you should be fine...

And if you need further clarification, feel free to PIN me.

I have nothing against Verizon. I am in the service. When I got deployed I faxed them a copy of my orders, they suspended my contract at no charge, when I came home for R&R i called them they turned my phone on for those 2 weeks and the suspended the account right after I went back and reconnected once I got home for good. All the while I was able to keep the same phone number. The only thing I paid for in that year in a half was the prorated charges for those 2 weeks.
    03-09-09 01:29 AM
    I have nothing against Verizon. I am in the service. When I got deployed I faxed them a copy of my orders, they suspended my contract at no charge, when I came home for R&R i called them they turned my phone on for those 2 weeks and the suspended the account right after I went back and reconnected once I got home for good. All the while I was able to keep the same phone number. The only thing I paid for in that year in a half was the prorated charges for those 2 weeks.
    I don't have anything against Verizon either. They've always been good to me too. The only thing here is, he sounds like he wants to take his phone away from his contract and bring it to Okinawa. Verizon will try to charge him for breaking his contract which is what he will have to do in order to use the phone over there.

VOIP will probably be the easiest and cheapest way to go for international calling. So my suggestion would be to fax over your orders and CANCEL your contract, get a new phone with WiFi once you're over there, and set up a VOIP connection.

Just don't forget to send me the Storm before you leave. I'll even pay for S&H if you want.
    03-09-09 01:44 AM
    I have a question along the same lines. I am headed to Okinawa as well. I knew they would suspend my service for 2 years and then longer if I call in and request it after the initial two years. I am due for an upgrade right before I leave and wondered if I purchased the 9630 (Niagara or whatever its going to be called ) would Verizon unlock it so I could use it in Okinawa? It looks like Docomo has had a couple problems with their Bold and they are selling the 8707h for $300 USD so I expect the Bold to be a good junk of change (when they resume sales 4/10). Has anyone done this? Thanks.
    04-08-09 10:07 AM
    Okay take this for what it is worth i am a Marine that has spent 9 years in okinawa yes you can take the phone and use a local sim card and it will work just fine there are many options there for that. You in my opinion are better of suspending verizon service and getting one of the many world phones that they have over there and trust me they are cheap to have an international package on like only pennies to the dollar for international rates when calling the USA.
    04-08-09 10:15 AM
    Okay take this for what it is worth i am a Marine that has spent 9 years in okinawa yes you can take the phone and use a local sim card and it will work just fine there are many options there for that. You in my opinion are better of suspending verizon service and getting one of the many world phones that they have over there and trust me they are cheap to have an international package on like only pennies to the dollar for international rates when calling the USA.
    Yeah I have a friend over there who pays $30 a month for a cell phone with free calls to the US. I am being a brat, I admit, and want a Blackberry but would rather get my Verizon upgrade then pay Docomo for a new Bold. I guess it will depend on whether the 9630 is a world phone (with a SIM card) since my 8330 is not.
    04-08-09 10:35 AM
    dont go with docomo they are fairly expensive for over there. definitly do not use AU they are a big ripoff my sugestion is to use softbank they are cheap and have some kickas$ phones.
    04-08-09 10:43 AM
    Thanks for the tip- hopefully they will take my unlocked Verizon phone Docomo is the only carrier offering a Blackberry right now from what I have been able to find.
    04-08-09 10:47 AM
    SoftBank | SoftBank

this is the link to the softbank website they may not offer a BB but they do offer an Iphone 3G 8Gig for like 25 dollars a month with 2 year contract. phone cost included.
    04-08-09 10:53 AM
    SoftBank | SoftBank

this is the link to the softbank website they may not offer a BB but they do offer an Iphone 3G 8Gig for like 25 dollars a month with 2 year contract. phone cost included.
    iPhone=Blasphemy I just can't do it. And I really hope I don't have to eat those words.

Do they have a store on one of the bases? It doesn't look like any are on the island.

Thanks for the link.
    04-08-09 11:11 AM
    Why won't an unlocked storm work in place of the iPhone option?

Btw orders require faxing, but "death" requires no proof... ask any supervisor in the company...well keep asking until you get a consensus response
    04-08-09 11:55 AM
    As far as calling back to the US I would recommend setting up Skype accounts for yourself and the primary people that you would be talking to back in the US. Skype to Skype is free worldwide. The only downside is that you need to have a broadband internet connection around with a PC to use the cheap versions of it. They have some phones that are basically VoIP that don't require the PC but they are a little pricey.
    Yes Skype is best I believe. If you have a webcam you can chat face to face which is priceless when you are away from friends and family. Something to think about. In any event good luck.
    04-08-09 12:06 PM
    You should cancel your contract and pick a phone from over there. They are way ahead of times for technology over there and you will find a better phone. I was stationed there for 4 years and when I came back to the states listening to everyone all excited about the Camera phone I laughed because I had already had one there for a bit. The plans are cheap and the phones arent to bad. You will be calling your friends there in Japan more than calling back to the states and everyone has there japanese cell phones.
    04-16-09 07:09 PM
    Get a phone over there, they have some sick phones, and I think their 3G network is much more advanced..they might even have 4G already!

04-16-09 08:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD