Strictly for curiosity if someone stole my storm and its password protected, is there anyway to get around it ? To make it usable or do they do this for people to have more reason to return it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-10 06:09 AM
    Strictly for curiosity if someone stole my storm and its password protected, is there anyway to get around it ? To make it usable or do they do this for people to have more reason to return it?

If they figure out the password, then they can use it. If not, they have ten tries before the device automatically wipes itself.
    01-22-10 06:11 AM
    The password protects your data, not your phone, and not your phone service. A thief won't be able to access your personal data, such as friends' and family's pictures, phone numbers, and addresses, but after the security wipe, the password is reset and the phone is usable. If it's stolen, you still have to report it to prevent the thief making expensive calls on your account.

A password CAN help you get your phone back, though. My lock screen displays a toll free number to call if you find the phone. I lost mine in the Washington DC Metro. Because it was locked with a number to call if found, I had it back in four hours. It was found by an honest person, not stolen by a thief.
    01-22-10 06:19 AM
    Thank you for clarifying that. How did you get your phone to display the toll free number? And do you have to pay for this service?

01-22-10 10:08 AM
    Put your name and the number to call in the Owner field and it'll be displayed when the phone is locked. The number I display is my IT Help Desk. The service is provided by my employer.

01-22-10 10:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD