I'm going to be traveling overseas this summer. If I bring my Storm, but want to use it only for e-mail and internet, will that work? Will that be covered by my VZW wireless plan? Or will I get hosed somehow?
    04-06-09 12:49 PM
    No, it will not. I have asked them the same thing since I too am traveling over seas. They told me that there are special rated for overseas data usage aswell as vioce. it all depends on the country that you are traveling to, but in any case it is very pricey, something like .65 a minute for voice and dats is over a dollar a meg from what i was told. I am looking at unlocking my storm and getting a prepaid sim for when I am in Germany. I think that will be much cheaper...I hope anyway.
    04-06-09 12:57 PM
    For an extra twenty five dollars onto your current data plan you can have unlimited foreign data services

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-09 01:06 PM
    They didnt tell me about that. I guess they wanted my "per" usage charges.... That sounds much better. And since you can change the plan at any time, I could do it just for that month that I am gone... Thats good info.
    04-06-09 01:09 PM
    For an extra twenty five dollars onto your current data plan you can have unlimited foreign data services

If the country you are travelling to is listed under the $65 GlobalEmail plan (on the Verizon International site) then you are covered. It is not just an 'Email' plan as it might imply. You have full internet/email access. I am currently on that plan.
    Last edited by francob; 04-06-09 at 01:18 PM.
    04-06-09 01:10 PM
    how about voice? does that $65 global plan cover your calls? if not, how much is that?
    04-07-09 10:14 AM
    The $65 replaces your current data plan ($30 BIS or $45 BES), and call costs depend on country, as well as SMS. When I was in Thailand, it was $1.99/minute and .50 per text sent AND received.

04-07-09 10:18 AM
    The $65 replaces your current data plan ($30 BIS or $45 BES), and call costs depend on country, as well as SMS. When I was in Thailand, it was $1.99/minute and .50 per text sent AND received.

Also, so you know, VZW will pro-rate that $65 monthly data plan for only the days you are on that plan. I just did this in Mexico and it's very nice to have unlimited data for email, web, IM. It's only a few bucks a day. However, there WILL be charges for taking and placing calls, and sending and getting TXT's. Just don't answer any calls that come through.
    04-07-09 10:33 AM
    can I put another country's sim card but use VZW data plan???
    04-07-09 11:25 AM
    I'm going to be traveling to the US Virgin Islands (St Thomas), and although it is a US Territory, my voice calls will be charge 1.99/min.

However, DATA useage is covered under the normal Unlimited BB nationwide plan. Go figure!

So i'll still have access to emails/web, but will not be using the phone (or buy a prepaid AT&T/T-Mobile SIM)
    04-07-09 11:42 AM
    I'm going to be traveling to the US Virgin Islands (St Thomas), and although it is a US Territory, my voice calls will be charge 1.99/min.

However, DATA useage is covered under the normal Unlimited BB nationwide plan. Go figure!

So i'll still have access to emails/web, but will not be using the phone (or buy a prepaid AT&T/T-Mobile SIM)
    Maybe Skype will be out for the Storm by then and then the data plan will take care of calls.
    04-07-09 11:47 AM
    can I put another country's sim card but use VZW data plan???
    CDMA is not available internationally, that's why the Storm was built with a SIM card at all. You will need to unlock the VZW SIM card to use the International Data Plan, and it will connect using the SIM. If you want to make calls using a local SIM card, you will need to take out the VZW SIM and put in the local SIM. To get back to using VZW data, you need to take out the local SIM and put back the VZW SIM. A PIA if you ask me, but well worth it for the rates they charge for international roaming. I just didn't use my phone or SMS while I was travelling. BBM works over data so that was an easy way to communicate for no additional cost (other than the upgraded data plan of course).
    04-07-09 12:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD