, but ask my wife... she hates it.
    My wife hates mine cause i am playing on it all the time. I have stopped myself from playing on it when the family is around because I was starting to annoy myself. I use my phone as a business phone, BES, tons of email, and it works well for me. But keep in mind; it is my first blackberry so i have no comparison.
    03-16-09 05:11 PM
    Patience, laddy, patience.
    So many ppl on here hated their Storm the first few days they had it, then come to eventually love it, then come eventually to be addicted to it and can't put it down.

See how you feel about it after living with it for two weeks.
    I felt the same way at first. It does take some getting-used-to.
    If you can't do that, then trade it in and get a Curve. That's what I'd do.
    03-16-09 05:18 PM
    Press and hold 1 has been standard v-mail call for Verizon phones for awhile. RTFM on setup. All your complaints are easily fixed with a search instead of a post. Perhaps a simpler phone is in order, one that only makes calls.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-09 06:20 PM
    actually if you go to the screen/keyboard option in the options menu you can change the default portrait keyboard to Multi Tap so it will resemble an older phone style of typing.

Also the simple solution and the common sense solution is to flip the phone and type in full querty landscape view.

2nd when you have a voicemail you can hit the menu button at anytime and select dial voice mail. or you can just push the send key, bring up the dial pad and hold down "1" which is the universal number for voicemail.

If you guys went through the manual you wouldnt have these issues.
    03-16-09 06:54 PM
    Could just add your voicemail to your contacts list under voicemail, for Verizon it is *86.

I don't sweat some of the minor stuff and just factor it in to having a new phone and either learning it or learning the work arounds.
    03-16-09 07:00 PM
    I guess I am a little bit confused. By your original post it sounds like the issue is with your wife's phone, not yours, but then you rant as if you are having the problem.

Either way, if she either doesn't like the device or it is indeed having software issues, the earlier you return it the better. Then she can trade out for something that she might like better.

The Storm isn't for everyone and some people don't have the patience to wait for an update that may or may not fix the particular issues they are having.
    03-16-09 07:17 PM
    actually if you go to the screen/keyboard option in the options menu you can change the default portrait keyboard to Multi Tap so it will resemble an older phone style of typing.

Also the simple solution and the common sense solution is to flip the phone and type in full querty landscape view.

2nd when you have a voicemail you can hit the menu button at anytime and select dial voice mail. or you can just push the send key, bring up the dial pad and hold down "1" which is the universal number for voicemail.

If you guys went through the manual you wouldnt have these issues.
    I've done those things. In contacts search it makes no difference what your setting is. And contacts only work in portrait mode so you cannot turn it sideways. Thanks for those common sense solutions, which don't address the problems. What is it that seems to make so many people self righteous about all this. You would have thought I spoke out against the pope or something.

I will be doing an OS upgrade and see if that fixes things, but even that is way more crap than anyone should have to go thru. And they wonder why so many people hate these phones.
    03-16-09 07:17 PM
    want a wham burger my friends how bout some french crys hahahaha you get a phone like my grandmother ine with big numbers and very loud... just to make calls thats all but you would probably still complain
    03-16-09 07:20 PM
    want a wham burger my friends how bout some french crys hahahaha you get a phone like my grandmother ine with big numbers and very loud... just to make calls thats all but you would probably still complain
    And people say I am harsh sometimes LOL!
    03-16-09 07:23 PM
    Thanks for those common sense solutions, which don't address the problems. What is it that seems to make so many people self righteous about all this. You would have thought I spoke out against the pope or something.

And they wonder why so many people hate these phones.
    self righteous? i don't get it. first you start going off like a rant than you say its not a rant and then people try to help you and then you call them self righteous? Most people when they have issues or problems they kindly ask "does anybody know how to do...." and some one would help u. But my friend you went at it all the wrong way and the ones that were still kind enough to try to help u in the mist of all your whining, you call them self righteous. honestly 75% of all the problems you are talking about are easily solved if u knew how to use the phone, but I guess your not interested in learning cause you would rather rant and act like you were the first person in the world to use this phone and let us know all its problems like we dont already know, instead of actually trying to get some of those problems solved.
    Last edited by holladay42; 03-16-09 at 07:49 PM. Reason: s
    03-16-09 07:47 PM
    What is it that seems to make so many people self righteous about all this. You would have thought I spoke out against the pope or something.

I will be doing an OS upgrade and see if that fixes things, but even that is way more crap than anyone should have to go thru. And they wonder why so many people hate these phones.
    You want an answer to why people here take offense to what you say, and then for good measure, you say it again. Are you asking for help or just trying to alienate your fellow Storm users?

I am like most people on here: I love my Storm. Is it an easy to use phone that comes right out of the box being great? No. Does it require some time to get used to how it operates and how to tailor the functions to suit the user? Yes. Personally, I know just as many people who own iPhones and are just as upset because it's difficult to use. I'm a devout Mac user and I chose a Storm over an iPhone because I wanted a Blackberry, not a toy.

Back up, change the way you approach this forum, and you'll find the people on here can be of great service and can answer just about any question asked. Use it as the resource it is; the resource it is intended to be.

::climbing down off my soapbox::
    03-16-09 07:47 PM
    I've done those things. In contacts search it makes no difference what your setting is. And contacts only work in portrait mode so you cannot turn it sideways. Thanks for those common sense solutions, which don't address the problems. What is it that seems to make so many people self righteous about all this. You would have thought I spoke out against the pope or something.

I dont know what the heck is wrong with your storm because i just sat here and did exactly what i just told you and it works on my phone. i go to my contacts and when i search for a contact it comes up as multitap and not to mention that you CAN use contacts in landscape mode because i just did it two seconds ago.

So either your wives phone is faulty by default or you dont know what the heck you are talking about.
    03-16-09 07:50 PM
    I dont know what the heck is wrong with your storm because i just sat here and did exactly what i just told you and it works on my phone. i go to my contacts and when i search for a contact it comes up as multitap and not to mention that you CAN use contacts in landscape mode because i just did it two seconds ago.

So either your wives phone is faulty by default or you dont know what the heck you are talking about.
    Both of them work the way I described, and like you, I just checked again. My guess is that you're not using .75 but that I am.
    03-16-09 08:07 PM
    I would seriously consider doing an update. 90 and 109 worked very well for me, and now the 113/114 hybrid is working great. Quite obviously, Blackberry is putting a lot of time and effort into bringing the OS up to the same level as the hardware. Patience is required here. When the first "official" OS upgrade comes out, it will undoubtedly fix a number of flaws and inconsistencies.
    03-16-09 08:18 PM
    Both of them work the way I described, and like you, I just checked again. My guess is that you're not using .75 but that I am.
    I am using .75

I would suggest removing the batter for 1min to completely reset the phone first so that everything is fresh.

Then go to Options -> Screen/Keyboard
    Scroll down to the option "Portrait View Keyboard" set it to multitap
    Push the Menu button and click "Save"

From there anytime you are in a Portrait Viewed application it will come up as Multi-Tap.

Also when you turn on your phone turn it to landscape mode. from there click on Contacts. your Contacts app will then be in Landscape mode.

You dont have to do it that long way but it just ensures that it comes up in landscape mode.

Also try making sure that when you leave an application you hit the menu button then close because if you have alot of applications running at the same time it could affect how well your phone runs therefore preventing it from turning to landscape mode correctly or at all.

If you want i can take screenshots/make a video to prove my point.
    03-16-09 08:18 PM
    Sorry for the Double Post

Here is the Video.

zSHARE - Storm.mov

the reason everything is flipped is because i videoed it on my MBPro so it flips the image but you still can see and understand whats going on
    03-16-09 08:26 PM
    Thanks very much for that video. That's certainly much different than I get. Are you using Verizon? After more searching I think I might see the problem with the contact list. I've been going to the contact list via the phone dial panel. In that view it stays in portrait mode no matter what you do.

I have installed 114 hybrid and now at least I can get a full keyboard in that view. I haven't tried the other problems yet. The buttons respond better now that I've upgraded too.

Again, thanks for the video.
    03-16-09 09:46 PM
    Yup. Anything you access through the phone application is portrait mode only. No landscape when it comes to the phone! Contacts, call log ... all in portrait.
    03-16-09 10:00 PM
    Thanks very much for that video. That's certainly much different than I get. Are you using Verizon? After more searching I think I might see the problem with the contact list. I've been going to the contact list via the phone dial panel. In that view it stays in portrait mode no matter what you do.

I have installed 114 hybrid and now at least I can get a full keyboard in that view. I haven't tried the other problems yet. The buttons respond better now that I've upgraded too.

Again, thanks for the video.
    Yea im on Verizon running .75
    03-16-09 10:04 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD