EDIT: This method is for full two-way syncing of email between your Blackberry and Yahoo account

I am a new Blackberry user and thought it would be simple to sync my Blackberry with Outlook using BIS but I was wrong. You must sign up to BES in order to get native OTA syncing with Outlook.

Over the past few days I have looked all over for a way to OTA sync my email with my Blackberry and I finally found a way to do it. All you need to do is sign up for a Yahoo email address and download Zimbra Desktop (a desktop application that will sync with your online Yahoo mailbox)

Step 1: Sign up for a Yahoo email address (free or premium, doesnt matter)
    Step 2: Forward email to your Yahoo email address
    Step 3: Download Zimbra Desktop
    Step 4: Install and run Zimbra Desktop, follow on screen instructions to add your new Yahoo email address.
    Step 5: Log into BIS and add your new Yahoo email address and make sure to check the sync checkbox when setting up the email.
    Step 6: Enjoy OTA syncing of your email.

I am pretty sure you can get your calendar/tasks/contact info synced this way also but I haven't tried it yet. Now you can read an email on Zimbra Desktop, on Yahoo.com, or on your Blackberry and everything will be synced including read/unread status.
    Last edited by jbburgos; 12-11-08 at 06:30 PM.
    12-11-08 05:21 PM
    You must mean contacts/etc? OTA sync for email is sort of the whole point of BIS...
    12-11-08 05:38 PM
    Are you talking about just outlook or an exchange server? You can sync email with exchange via outlook web access.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-08 05:41 PM
    BIS does not offer OTA syncing of email or anything else for that matter, only BES does. This post is only for BIS users who don't have an Exchange Server/OWA
    12-11-08 06:01 PM
    BIS does not offer OTA syncing of email or anything else for that matter, only BES does.
    You are mistaken my friend. Yes it does. BIS does not offer OTA syncing of calendar/tasks, but does do OTA syncing of email.

You don't need an exchange server.

See here (View Document)
    12-11-08 06:07 PM
    You've got your terms confused. OTA is Over The Air. Everything on a BlackBerry is done that way. BIS will not sync contacts or calendar.

What you mean to say is BIS doesn't offer immediate push email for regular email accounts. Gmail and Yahoo are true push as is your vzw.blackberry.net account.

Your email will be sent to your BB on non-push accounts generally within 5 minutes.
    12-11-08 06:09 PM
    BIS does offer ONE WAY syncing of email, but one way syncing is not very useful. What I posted offers two way syncing of email which is what BES offers.

No, I meant to say it does not offer OTA syncing of email, at least not two way.
    12-11-08 06:25 PM
    BIS does offer ONE WAY syncing of email, but one way syncing is not very useful. What I posted offers two way syncing of email which is what BES offers.

No, I meant to say it does not offer OTA syncing of email, at least not two way.
    BIS offers two-way syncing of email (to include read/unread/delete) for OWA, exchange, Notes, Yahoo, and general IMAP.

There is currently partial support for Live, AOL, Gmail, and others.
    12-11-08 06:33 PM
    And don't misunderstand me... as a Gmail user I'm hoping RIM implements full two-way OTA syncing for Gmail soon.
    12-11-08 06:35 PM
    Me too, can't wait for Google to come up with a good Blackberry solution.

BIS does not offer full two-way syncing with general IMAP though, for some reason RIM decided not to utilize IMAP to its full potential. IMAP on the Blackberry will currently only sync with your Inbox folder, it won't sync with any subfolders.

EDIT: I just tried it and using general IMAP will not do a two-way sync of email. If you delete off your BBerry it will delete off of your Outlook/Webmail but if you deleted off Outlook/Webmail it will not delete on BBerry hence making IMAP on the BBerry almost useless.
    Last edited by jbburgos; 12-11-08 at 08:03 PM.
    12-11-08 07:26 PM
    There are services out there for $10.00 per month that will sync mail, contacts, and calendars. I think that they work similar to Mobile Me for a subscription fee.
    12-11-08 07:46 PM
    There are no services out there for $10 a month that will do what you said, if you find one please tell me and everyone else here.

You can pay around $10 a month to get a hosted Exchange server. Then you still need to pay another $10 a month to add on a BES package and then pay Verizon an extra $15 a month to use it.
    12-11-08 08:04 PM
    12-11-08 09:28 PM
    That's even a nickel short of 10 bucks!
    12-11-08 10:14 PM
    Try this, MailStreet Exchange 2003 Hosting, Email Outsourcing using Microsoft Exchange 2003 Server. Outsource Corporate Email with MailStreet Hosted Exchange 2003 Email
    Like I said before, 9.95 per month for the Exchange server, 9.95 per month to get the BES addon, and $15 per month to Verizon to add BES to your account.

EDIT: Plus they charge 39.95 to activate your phone on there BES server. The free activation they are offering now is only for a limited time.
    12-12-08 04:18 PM
    thinkpost.net is $4/month and does OTA contacts, tasks, calendar, and notes. Works great for me.
    12-12-08 04:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD