I've had my first smart phone now for a month. I really like the storm. I've read about how other uses (and abusers) talk about their phone as well. It's the same where ever you go. 100 reasons for and against the phone.

I know how to navigate a computer very well, (not an expert by far) and so learning the BB is very similar. Still reading new threads about how to navigate. So my question is simply this. When an official release of an OS comes out for OTA, will the BB Storm keep all your 3rd party apps and will any themes you have purchased.

v4.7.0.75 (platform 4.0.0.94)

p.s. would like to learn how to try a leaked OS. MY catch is understanding what steps I'm doing.
    03-12-09 11:30 AM
    Get another burger and keep reading more before you do anything else.
    03-12-09 11:32 AM
    my question is how many people are going to ask when an official release of an OS is going to come out... NOBODY KNOWS!
    03-12-09 11:34 AM
    Ya Think?
    JRSCCivic98-we all started somewhere...
    03-12-09 11:35 AM
    Official release just came out for the 9500. Maybe next release is for the 9530!!!
    03-12-09 11:36 AM
    03-12-09 11:37 AM
    Yeah Thanks chuk1005. I've read the forums. but seems like everyone has there own way of understanding how to do it. What works for one doesn't work for the other and so on and so forth. And I do take in consideration the user. My intent is not to put anybody down it is simply to try and understand the best methods.
    03-12-09 11:42 AM
    His question wasn't when is the official OS getting released, it was when it's released will the OTA update keep your apps and such......

Sorry I don't know that answer.
    03-12-09 11:45 AM
    delete delete
    Last edited by UCLAJAY; 03-12-09 at 11:51 AM.
    03-12-09 11:47 AM
    My intent is not to put anybody down it is simply to try and understand the best methods.
    Really?...
    Ya Think?
    JRSCCivic98-we all started somewhere...
    Hummm.... you want to rephrase that first part about putting people down?

Anyway, my statement above wasn't intended as a short rate answer. It was that if you continue to read more and more, you'll soon realize who on here is giving "proper" procedure suggestions and who's not. Then you'll have a better understanding who to listen to and who to not. If you visit the FAQ/HELP forum and read about OS upgrade procedures, you'll see that there's a basic and advanced process to do so. I suggest you go the basic route UNTIL you run into issues. The advanced (wipe first and clean install) isn't needed for the general user and most people get a placebo effect thinking this is the only way to do it. Of course, reading more threads on the subject would have provided you with this synopsis.

Enjoy your stay with us. Remember there's a wealth of knowledge here, but some of it is not from very reliable sources... choose carefully.
    03-12-09 11:48 AM
    I've been wndering tha myself. Even with the betas do you still keep your apps?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-09 11:49 AM
    There are a lot of threads on how to DL a leaked thread. My recommendation is that you follow it step by step. I would recommend 109 as it has been very stable and very fast for me. Good luck.
    03-12-09 11:50 AM
    Yeah Thanks chuk1005. I've read the forums. but seems like everyone has there own way of understanding how to do it. What works for one doesn't work for the other and so on and so forth. And I do take in consideration the user. My intent is not to put anybody down it is simply to try and understand the best methods.
    Check this thread out it has worked for me the last 3 times I have used a beta and everyone I know uses it.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...eta-os-122851/
    03-12-09 11:53 AM
    A official update is coming in 5 mins... Check for it...

03-12-09 11:54 AM
    I've been wndering tha myself. Even with the betas do you still keep your apps?

Yes you do if you do it through the Blackberry Desktop Manager, it back the files up. Not sure about an OTA update though. Maybe when some of these other guys get over their ego's they can answer.
    03-12-09 11:55 AM
    The biggest thing when doing a beta upgrade is to make sure you back up your stuff before you start dont depend on the program to do it for you. This way if you do screw something up, you can always restore after you get it working. imo.
    03-12-09 12:07 PM
    my question is how many people are going to ask when an official release of an OS is going to come out... NOBODY KNOWS!
    is this one of those rhetorical questions i heard about :}
    03-12-09 12:09 PM
    Perhaps the moderators should make it a sticky since so many people are asking the same question every day.

03-12-09 12:13 PM
    Ask steve jobs. He probably knows just as much as we do.
    03-12-09 12:25 PM
    Thanks to all, especially JRSCCivic98 and bmtenny.
    03-12-09 12:52 PM
    What is sticky???
    03-12-09 12:53 PM
    You're welcome.

Sticky is a post that's "pinned" to the top of each forum... so it doesn't go down.
    03-12-09 12:53 PM
    Thanks to all, especially JRSCCivic98 and bmtenny.
    No problem glad to help

03-12-09 12:56 PM
    I do not do beta os updates. They change too much for me and I am likely to end up bricking my phone. I only do the official released os. I would guess we will see it towards the end of this month from Verizon. As for the applications, from using the BB desktop manager, it did keep all of my app's in the same location I had originally put them. Not a single issue with that.
    03-12-09 01:38 PM
    The new, official release is being rumored to come out after Verizon ends their current promo on the storm, which is March 31st, so I'd start looking for the official update (which will hopefully be .109) on April 1st.
    03-14-09 09:02 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD