Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question OS 6.0 for Storm 9530?

Ok, so its been long since an OS update has come for my Storm 9530. And I thought I should finally ask WHY!
    Recently I saw the promo advertisement for Blackberry OS 6 and I was so damn impressed. So here is my question - Do you think that the OS 6 will ever come for the Blackberry Storm 9530? And if it doesn't, is there a way we can mold the OS of Storm2 and install it in storm1, considering that both the phones are nearly the same, leaving a few advanced features here and there.

I know there are people like Lyndrical who make amazing Hybrids, so is there a possibilty that they can create a hybrid of OS 6 for the storm - including features like Image zooming by pinching etc...?

Please say yes!
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    30FBB031

The storm 2 will get the blackberry 6 update but I don't think the storm 9530 will get it because it doesn't have enough internal memory or processing power to run the new OS.
    Yungcrum (pin:322F56C2)
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    904 Global Posts

No. The storm barely has enough to run OS 5.0 with many apps, there is no way it can run OS 6 and actually have available memory.
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best."
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

What a discouraging reply!!!!
    Don't you guys think that the people who create hybrids and all can do something about it????
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,078 Global Posts

Hybrid creators will be able to take some of the OS 6 files and add them to an OS 5 based hybrid, but you wont see the newly integrated features, things like webkit browser or rss feeds or anything of that nature coming through on a hybrid.

Unfortunately, the device just doesn't have enough memory or processing power as stated above to properly run this new OS. This is why new devices (Bold 9650) have 512mb internal memory.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    30FBB031

The people who create the hybrids can't help because it's a hardware problem. Hybrids are software.
    Yungcrum (pin:322F56C2)
    CrackBerry User

Solution:

Get a better more capable phone. I am, once this darn Verizon New Every 2 kicks in...the 9530 is done, old news.
    Finally I Got My 9550!!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,802 Global Posts
    PIN
    What's that?

The S1 only has 128 MB of RAM. If you look at the OS6 videos and screen shots it appears that OS 6 takes up around 200 MB. That means that even if us S2 owners get it we are going to have to go very light on the apps because we only have 256 MB of space. I am hoping we will be able to shrink it quite a bit, but it would still be well over what the S1 can take.

As far as a hybrid goes, nobody knows yet what files will be interchangeable. I'd be willing to bet though that the good stuff isn't going to work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckH0308 View Post
    The S1 only has 128 MB of RAM. If you look at the OS6 videos and screen shots it appears that OS 6 takes up around 200 MB. That means that even if us S2 owners get it we are going to have to go very light on the apps because we only have 256 MB of space. I am hoping we will be able to shrink it quite a bit, but it would still be well over what the S1 can take.

As far as a hybrid goes, nobody knows yet what files will be interchangeable. I'd be willing to bet though that the good stuff isn't going to work.

I'm thinking it most likely won't be worth upgrading to OS6 for the Storm2 since it will deplete so much of the memory. This is the one thing causing me hesitation in upgrading to the 9550 from my 8330. I hope OS6 drops before my upgrade in September so I can see if I will really care if I have it or not. I would prefer the Storm2 over the 9650 if the 9650 didn't have the memory advantage to handle OS6 properly.

Maybe the Storm3 will surface not too far from my upgrade date and I can wait for it.
    7250 -> 8703e -> Curve 8330 -> Storm2 9550 -> Bold 9930 -> Z10 10.2.1.2122|16GB Playbook
    CrackBerry User

maybe the Storm 3 will be released as well..ya never know.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by skynny70 View Post
    I'm thinking it most likely won't be worth upgrading to OS6 for the Storm2 since it will deplete so much of the memory. This is the one thing causing me hesitation in upgrading to the 9550 from my 8330. I hope OS6 drops before my upgrade in September so I can see if I will really care if I have it or not. I would prefer the Storm2 over the 9650 if the 9650 didn't have the memory advantage to handle OS6 properly.

Maybe the Storm3 will surface not too far from my upgrade date and I can wait for it.
    My sentiments exactly. I have my 9530 and wanted to upgrade to the S2. My VZW every 2 years is due in November. I was going to make the switch to the S2, but im really more interested in keeping up with the official OS upgrades rather than new phones. I dont want to leave the Storm brand (probably one of few). So im hoping the Storm 3 comes with that 512 MB of internal memory. Then I'm on it.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    661 Global Posts
    PIN
    E TREES SMELL NICE

The 9530 won't be able to handle OS6...no way...no how!

Verizon is done with the 9530...it is a confirmed end of life device...there is:
    A. No room for os6 on 9530
    B. Verizon isn't going to waste time developing or dumming down an os for a phone that is being phased out
    C. The 9550 is going to be like the 9530 with 5.0...the 9530 will slow to a crawl...IF it will even work at all
    D. Just look at the biggest selling BlackBerry of all time (the curve). Verizon is still on 4. whatever..that example will apply here as well.

Stick a fork in her...she's done. Your only hope for a new os are the asian carriers now...sorry. I feel ur pain

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    349 Global Posts

July 15th can't get here fast enough
    CrackBerry Genius

Default NE2 - Early Upgrade??

Many of you mentioned waiting for your NE2 upgrade date later in the year. Verizon has announced that with the DROID X Verizon is going to allow anyone with a NE2 date anytime in 2010 to upgrade a little early during this promotion. But in reading the Promotion Flyer, it says it is good for any smartphone... not just the DROID X.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/ver...etails-488822/

So you may want to call or go by Verizon in a couple of weeks and see...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,803 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scalemaster34 View Post
    Many of you mentioned waiting for your NE2 upgrade date later in the year. Verizon has announced that with the DROID X Verizon is going to allow anyone with a NE2 date anytime in 2010 to upgrade a little early during this promotion. But in reading the Promotion Flyer, it says it is good for any smartphone... not just the DROID X.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/ver...etails-488822/

So you may want to call or go by Verizon in a couple of weeks and see...
    Yes it's for ANY smartphone and yes there's no way that the S1 will be able to support OS 6. It barely handles 5.0. The S2 I also doubt will support OS 6...you could try...hopefully you don't have many apps and games installed...
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    PIN
    306D2EEB

when os6 comes out,,its juz time for a new phone....
    OS v5.0.0.886 Hybrid
    CrackBerry Newbie

i dont understan how all you guys have no memory on your storm 9530. i have about 20 or so apps installed on my storm along with 5 different themes. and my phone works fine still leaving me with about 26mb of free memory.. so i dont understands what u guys do with your phone. lol
    CrackBerry User

storm 9530 will probably, sadly, get only 5.2
    thank god im getting a storm 3 when my contract is up
    10 seconds away from my BlackBerry=withdrawls
    CrackBerry User

how?!?! i reeeely need to know lol
    10 seconds away from my BlackBerry=withdrawls
    CrackBerry User

gonna go android by end of year. verizon will have their LTE network up by November 15. No announcements yet on the first set of 4G phones on verizon, but i won't be surprised if its an android-based overclocked snapdragon processor, or possibly utilizing the new ARM Cortex-A9 dual core processor + Nvidia's Tegra2 = Amazing!

I made a fatal mistake assuming that RIM would continue to support the the Storm 1, but they kinda bailed out on us upon release. Minor tweaks, but it seems as though they jumped straight to OS 6.0 development without maintaining OS 5.0 phones.

Surprising to see RIM still the #1 handset maker in the U.S. (due to enterprise/B2B sales most likely), although their marketshare is increasingly getting smaller due to Android/iOS.

For those on the fence, what phone will you all purchase next?
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    No PIN needed, enjoying life

Go Android! RIM has a habit of ignoring past customers. My 9530 is barley over a year old and OS6 will not work on this phone and the Storm2. Wishing for the Storm3 is like asking to have the rope pulled while standing in the *** kicking machine.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,629 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aohus View Post
    gonna go android by end of year. verizon will have their LTE network up by November 15.
    Are you sure about this? From what i've read they are going to start in very select areas but it will not be nationwide till late 2011 and 2012.
    4.7.0.148 --> 5.0.0.328 --> 5.0.0.419 --> 5.0.0.797 --> 5.0.0.973 --> 5.0.0.1041

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" Adam Savage
    CrackBerry Genius

We may not see any LTE phone until next year...

And many of us may not see 4G coverage until as late as 2012, so waiting for a LTE phone maybe a long wait. Might be better to go ahead and upgrade now, and then in with NE2 or with an early upgrade get a 4G phone.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,149 Global Posts

This has to be the lamest post I've seen in .... well, two days, at least. This is your FIRST post and you quote stats that nobody else comes near? Really...try baiting somewhere else. JUST the multiple themes alone would suck up a bunch of free memory, let alone the apps. When I had my S1, with roughly 15 apps installed and TWO themes, I carried 17MB at boot up.

And DuckDickz (interesting name, lol), I agree....just resign ourselves to the fact that if we want OS6 AND we want it to run smoothly, it's gonna take more memory than the 2 provides. Unfortunate, but not surprising. I'll probably be getting the 3 when it's released unless I'm hearing some strong rumors about the 4 coming out in the first quarter of 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by GohawksGo View Post
    i dont understan how all you guys have no memory on your storm 9530. i have about 20 or so apps installed on my storm along with 5 different themes. and my phone works fine still leaving me with about 26mb of free memory.. so i dont understands what u guys do with your phone. lol
    This is a smart phone, it is JUST a smart phone. If it were meant to be anything more than a smart phone, we would have been issued further instructions on where to go and what to do and computers would have no place in our lives.

::: A man of independent mind, he looks and laughs at all that :::
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by EnergyPlus View Post
    And DuckDickz (interesting name, lol), I agree....just resign ourselves to the fact that if we want OS6 AND we want it to run smoothly, it's gonna take more memory than the 2 provides. Unfortunate, but not surprising. I'll probably be getting the 3 when it's released unless I'm hearing some strong rumors about the 4 coming out in the first quarter of 2011.
    Which is why I think either the rumors are false, or that the hoped for S3 (but now S4) may not be seen until much later in 2011. Just don't see RIM producing and VZW going through the effort to stock a "refresh" of a phone that is not seeing much movement in the store these days. To only release it's replacement a few month later???

This whole OS6 not running on 256MB devices and "refreshing" existing devices... just does not sound right. Either we are being led astray, or RIM has really dropped the ball.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast