hello all... first off, i'm a brand new crackberry user and boy have i been missing out. i'm coming from the a windows mobile (i loved that os) and the palm os (i've hated that pos ever since it came out in the 90's) - and i have to say, i don't think i'm going to move off of blackberry for a long time.

i've been lurking here for some time, reading whatever i can, trying to understand whatever i can. however, i still can't seem to get my head around this whole memory thing with my storm.

i've followed some of the tips that i've found here. but i have a few questions:

- do i have to delete the actual "icons" on my home screen to free up memory? does "hiding" it do anything at all? does it count if i move the icons all into one folder? or is that the same as having all of the icons on the home screen?

- i read about these battery pulls. i've installed quickpull and it seems to do a good job of putting my memory back to the same amount as a battery pull. i'd much rather not be constantly clicking that back cover on and off to pull that battery if possible, so is the quickpull a good alternative to that?

- i currently have 10 icons on my home screen, and after a battery pull or quickpull, it goes up to a measly 22-24mb. what am i missing? i've installed the quickpull, and a few others but i've deleted them (and then they reboot), i'm still on the original .75 os and i've removed those items that i know for sure i don't need. what could be keeping my memory so low?

- and finally, initially, i was able to use the media manager and was able to move a couple of my movies over for me to watch on a flight out. but now, for some reason, that button is greyed out and i can no longer use it to convert the movie into mp4 file which is what it seems to like best. any ideas?

any help with information or links to faq (i've read those that i can find here - either i'm not doing something right, or i'm reading it wrong - which is the same thing)

i apologize in advance for these n00b questions... as a veteran member on other forums i'm sure i'll get the inevitable use the search button answer. unfortunately, b/c i'm such a n00b, i don't even know what the right "word" would to be search for certain things so any help (and flames) would be greatly appreciated. no joke. i need to learn, i'll take the flame along with any help members will provide,... i'll pay my dues here.

but i gotta say,... aside from the ridiculous accelerometer lag (seems to be only vertical for me - it flips to the horizontal position quick), i absolutely love this thing. it does everything i want and need it to and does it well.
    01-15-09 07:58 PM
    hello all... first off, i'm a brand new crackberry user and boy have i been missing out. i'm coming from the a windows mobile (i loved that os) and the palm os (i've hated that pos ever since it came out in the 90's) - and i have to say, i don't think i'm going to move off of blackberry for a long time.

i've been lurking here for some time, reading whatever i can, trying to understand whatever i can. however, i still can't seem to get my head around this whole memory thing with my storm.

i've followed some of the tips that i've found here. but i have a few questions:

- do i have to delete the actual "icons" on my home screen to free up memory? does "hiding" it do anything at all? does it count if i move the icons all into one folder? or is that the same as having all of the icons on the home screen?

You cannot delete icons unless you delete the applications. Yes hiding icons will speed up your device but wont gain you any memory.

- i read about these battery pulls. i've installed quickpull and it seems to do a good job of putting my memory back to the same amount as a battery pull. i'd much rather not be constantly clicking that back cover on and off to pull that battery if possible, so is the quickpull a good alternative to that?

yes, quickpull is the same as a batt pull.

- i currently have 10 icons on my home screen, and after a battery pull or quickpull, it goes up to a measly 22-24mb. what am i missing? i've installed the quickpull, and a few others but i've deleted them (and then they reboot), i'm still on the original .75 os and i've removed those items that i know for sure i don't need. what could be keeping my memory so low?

Depending on what you 3rd party apps you have installed, that range of memory seems fine to me.

- and finally, initially, i was able to use the media manager and was able to move a couple of my movies over for me to watch on a flight out. but now, for some reason, that button is greyed out and i can no longer use it to convert the movie into mp4 file which is what it seems to like best. any ideas?

any help with information or links to faq (i've read those that i can find here - either i'm not doing something right, or i'm reading it wrong - which is the same thing)

i apologize in advance for these n00b questions... as a veteran member on other forums i'm sure i'll get the inevitable use the search button answer. unfortunately, b/c i'm such a n00b, i don't even know what the right "word" would to be search for certain things so any help (and flames) would be greatly appreciated. no joke. i need to learn, i'll take the flame along with any help members will provide,... i'll pay my dues here.

but i gotta say,... aside from the ridiculous accelerometer lag (seems to be only vertical for me - it flips to the horizontal position quick), i absolutely love this thing. it does everything i want and need it to and does it well.

Please find the answers I could answer in your quote.
    01-15-09 08:16 PM
    Rooster you have no life. You're definitely a crackberry addict. Your posts just pop up everywhere. LOL

Anyway, personally I think hiding the icons benefits just cleaning up the screen. There's plenty of memory on the Storm to run apps. These apps for the BB are small and don't use a whole lot of memory. If you are constantly losing memory, then you have a memory leak somewhere in one of the apps. If you are running the standard .75 os, you shoulldn't have that problem. Don't install any leaked updates as they may contain memory leaks and cripple some other apps. They are still buggy. Wait for the released versions. Don't install too many additional apps that you don't need. Check to make sure you allowed your phone for mass storage mode so you can move movies and stuff to your memory card.
    01-15-09 09:40 PM
    Not to mention, if you're berry gets bricked on an un-official upgrade and it's found out...warranty fail.
    01-15-09 09:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD