Ok so before anyone starts bashing on me I would like to say I have tried researching this the best I can and have found no solutions so I thought I would make a thread to see if anyone else knows what to do.

I know SMS stands for short messaging service but I have a girlfriend and friends who has an iPhone and can't receive mms. Being in college sometimes I can only text and the limit on the Storm with Verizon is a problem for me. I know email and stuff but really I'm looking for a solution with texting. I was hoping you guys could help me out so is their anyway to unlock this feature like my old curve on att or no?
    12-10-08 11:30 PM
    No way around it as of now. Yes, it's been discussed.
    12-10-08 11:31 PM
    small

SMALL
    12-10-08 11:31 PM
    small

SMALL
    Last I was aware it was SHORT message service

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-08 11:36 PM
    It's NOT a Storm thing and it's NOT even a Verizon thing. SMS is from the pager days of yore, when 160 characters was a considerable amount of text to send.

Have you considered, I don't know, just picking up the phone and calling your friends/girlfriend? Or if you want to keep it impersonal, you do have a device from one of the world's premier email device companies. The Jesus Phone should be able to handle that.

Also, I'm reasonably sure it's Short Message Service, but not that small changes the meaning of it in any significant way.
    12-10-08 11:37 PM
    I'm in college and play football. Sometimes I can't talk if its the professor teaching or the 100 guys yelling around me sometimes I am unable to text. Wish I could call people when ever I want buy my responsibilities do no allow me to. I can't set up the ladies email because her password doesn't have the charectors on the iphone. Believe me I have tried to find a way of posting on here and getting cut down all the time
    12-10-08 11:42 PM
    It's NOT a Storm thing and it's NOT even a Verizon thing. SMS is from the pager days of yore, when 160 characters was a considerable amount of text to send.

Have you considered, I don't know, just picking up the phone and calling your friends/girlfriend?
    You mean people still call one another? Whoooa!
    12-10-08 11:42 PM
    the 160 limit sucks, i agree, for the time being your gonna jsut have to continue with a new text message like i do :P
    12-10-08 11:44 PM
    I don't know what the big deal is, WHY DO SOME PEOPLE JUST NIT PICK at small stuff like this??? TELL ME PLEASE...? My current 8330 is the exact same way and guess what my gf's lg-8550 is the exact same way too...
    12-10-08 11:45 PM
    Thank you for the people who actually helped. You guys are the reason I actually post on the boards and put up with the clowns haha
    12-10-08 11:50 PM
    it sucks cause on my Q you could type 600-700ch. if u wanted to and it would split the texts up for you. i hate having to write a text then stop and start a new one to finish a message....
    12-10-08 11:50 PM
    There is. Never has and never will be a way to
    send a single text longer than 160 characters. Unless every carrier worldwide decides to change that.

12-10-08 11:52 PM
    if you need to type longer...maybe use bb messenger
    12-10-08 11:54 PM
    Ok so before anyone starts bashing on me I would like to say I have tried researching this the best I can and have found no solutions so I thought I would make a thread to see if anyone else knows what to do.

I know SMS stands for short messaging service but I have a girlfriend and friends who has an iPhone and can't receive mms. Being in college sometimes I can only text and the limit on the Storm with Verizon is a problem for me. I know email and stuff but really I'm looking for a solution with texting. I was hoping you guys could help me out so is their anyway to unlock this feature like my old curve on att or no?

find out what there phone email is.. to do this you can have them send a SMS message to your email address

it will look something like

[email protected]

the number being there phone number..

then you can email there phone and it comes across as a SMS message or multiple SMS messages

Other than that there is really no other solution.. currently
    12-11-08 12:17 AM
    I don't know what the big deal is, WHY DO SOME PEOPLE JUST NIT PICK at small stuff like this??? TELL ME PLEASE...? My current 8330 is the exact same way and guess what my gf's lg-8550 is the exact same way too...
    NO. Your girlfriends LG VX8550 is not exactly the same way. Hey look, my Chocolate is sitting right next to me. Wow, I can type up to 7 pages full of 160 character messages to send.
    12-11-08 12:24 AM
    I had the env2 for a while before switching to the Curve and it allows you to type 160 characters over 7 different messages sending it in all, 1, fluent text. So yes, it is POSSIBLE. Not every carrier would have to change and all that blah blah blah...

Also, there was a thread on here a few days ago (which now could be lost forever in this Storm mess) with actual screen shots of a "mishap" on Verizon Storms that allow you do to the same thing. These posters said it glitched and allowed them to continue to type on a new set of 160 chara on 2/7 messages.

Maybe something in the future?? I would love it because i am also a college student and sometimes longs text messages are necessary.
    12-11-08 12:31 AM
    I'm in college and play football. Sometimes I can't talk if its the professor teaching or the 100 guys yelling around me sometimes I am unable to text. Wish I could call people when ever I want buy my responsibilities do no allow me to. I can't set up the ladies email because her password doesn't have the charectors on the iphone. Believe me I have tried to find a way of posting on here and getting cut down all the time
    If you're in a class, try paying attention to the lecture. If you're at practice or a game, maybe you should be paying attention to that. Otherwise, just keep your messages under 160 characters because this is not a phone or carrier issue.
    12-11-08 12:47 AM
    Is there a character limit for mms messages? If not just create one and don't insert a pic.

12-11-08 01:25 AM
    The 160 character limit I believe is a GSM/3GPP/ETSI standard. Some phones however will break a long text message (160+ characters) into multiple messages automatically, which is convenient. Shouldn't be too hard for RIM to do with its devices.
    12-11-08 01:53 AM
    I believe this is carrier based. I have had Motorola, Sony and Blackberry phones - all on ATT. All of them have allowed me to type in sms messages which are longer than 160 characters - yes these messages were parsed and sent in 160 character individual messages but I was allowed none the less to type the message(s) all in at the same time which is far more convenient. In addition my current phone when receiving sms messages greater than 160 characters combines them into one message.

For the record I am on ATT and have a blackberry pearl. And my current phone as well has worked this way in europe and south america on their networks using their sim cards.

So maybe this is a Verizon issue...
    12-11-08 02:46 AM
    If you're in a class, try paying attention to the lecture. If you're at practice or a game, maybe you should be paying attention to that. Otherwise, just keep your messages under 160 characters because this is not a phone or carrier issue.

this is semi untrue...

yes sms is limited to 160 however the storm does in fact allow for pages of sms messages.. and verizon pretty much blocks it

If you read around the forum I think there was even pictures of someone who unlocked and is using on tmobile or at&t who has multi pages on the storm.. 1/6 or something..

when it hits the other phone I believe it comes as multiple messages..

so its kind of a carrier issue.. but sms itself is 160 the phones have just made it possible to use more by having pages of 160..
    12-11-08 03:09 AM
    i still dont understand why you dont just use email? becuase of the characters? i dont get it.
    12-11-08 03:45 AM
    i still dont understand why you dont just use email? becuase of the characters? i dont get it.

because some people aren't even aware that there phone has a email.. common with dumb phones.. so a persons phone number comes in with a sms and when you hit reply it replys as a SMS

there email never hits your phone.

its not that people aren't willing to use email its that there a a billion people with cell phones and a large portion of those users use dumb phones..

so when you have a bunch of people that you gave your number to they don't necessarily know your phones email..

I lived with the iphone for a while without having MMS and I tried switching that out using email.. it was a pain in the but to figure out the emails of all the phones that I sent them to..

so this is not a solution or answer UNTIL every phone is a blackberry
    12-11-08 04:01 AM
    I also was able to send 7 pages of 160 characters each on my old vx9400 and now being limited to 160 is painful. Slowly getting used to it though and my smaller bill for text will reflect that.
    12-11-08 05:12 AM
    Last I was aware it was SHORT message service

Notice the person that said "small" is from Canada. It could be a translation issue.

if you need to type longer...maybe use bb messenger
    The iPhone doesn't have it

find out what there phone email is.. to do this you can have them send a SMS message to your email address...
    Good idea, but I've never had luck with it. I receive the message, but it truncates without sending me the remainder. Does it not cut off for you?

...So yes, it is POSSIBLE. Not every carrier would have to change and all that blah blah blah...
    What they meant was that the SMS 160 limit is a design limitation. Just that some phone makers have coded the firmware of the phone to automatically work around this design.

The poster said they couldn't configure her email on the iPhone, because she has certain symbols/characters in the username or password that they could not find to type in.

OP - it's been a while since I got rid of my iPhone. I know it has MMS issues (cannot send without a 3rd party app etc), but I do not recall if you can receive MMS on the iPhone without a picture (making it a text only MMS). That would allow up to 1,000 characters per message.
    Last edited by howie; 12-11-08 at 06:29 AM.
    12-11-08 06:27 AM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD