I ordered my first Verizon Blackberry (Storm 9530)yesterday and should have it today or tomorrow. Wish I would have found this site prior to ordering it, cause now im concerned........

How about a brand new owner "Briefing"?

-Whats all the talk about the OS? What should my storm have when it arrives .75 I'm guessing?
    -If it doesn't how do you update the OS?
    -Whats up with all the other OS's Im reading about .86 .88.93 .XX?
    -Whats a leaked OS?
    -Why all the returns for new units?
    -The screens "stick", leak lite?
    - Battery pulls every day to flush memory?
    -8 icons only on desk top to increase speed?
    -What's with the "9520" that will have WiFi? Is there one? When will it come out? I want WiFi so if there is a version coming out soon, I'll send this one back unopened and wait.

This site/forum is making me want to send the dang thing back as soon as it gets here and just keep my plain ol phone, it sounds like way to much work to get top performance out of. Maybe I should look at the iPHONE again.......
    01-21-09 03:14 PM
    That is a lot of questions. Most of which can be answered by simply browsing the forum and reading various topics. That would be my suggestion.
    01-21-09 03:18 PM

This site/forum is making me want to send the dang thing back as soon as it gets here and just keep my plain ol phone, it sounds like way to much work to get top performance out of. Maybe I should look at the iPHONE again.......
    Maybe... or maybe you should just use the phone for a few weeks and see how it treats you. I don't use this forum to reconfirm my somewhat jaded opinion of my Storm... I use it to help solve problems that I have and to assist others with problems they may have.
    01-21-09 03:19 PM
    I really think alot of it is people problems more than device problems, I would recommend that you leave the .75 os on the phone and try it for a while at least till you get a handle on the bb thing. I have not had the screen dust or click problems I did get phone exchanged a couple of time but by the time I got my third I realized it was user understandment the whole time, The phone does have bugs it a brand new product thats expected. The phones a computer if you don't shut it down once in a while it slows down I do a batt. pull every morning before my day starts. ( I shut down my computer everynite before I go to bed and its fresh in the morning). I really think if you give it a chance you'll be an instant cb bb addict like the rest of us. But it does take time to get in the swing of a new device. Good Luck and hope to see you back here.
    01-21-09 03:23 PM
    to be honest we cant tell you if to get a phone.. i've heard loads of people have had two or three of these and im still on my first and i love it...
    but its your choice at the end of the day
    01-21-09 03:25 PM
    I would tell you to just use it and make your own judgement call. I have had no problems with mine so far. But you have to keep in mind this is new and there is likely some bugs to get worked out. I read CB because it is a great site. Lots of information and lots of one sided view points also. Most people are reading that the screen click is having troubles then all you will do is focus on that issue until you read that it has something else.

STOP TAKE A BREATH AND JUST USE IT
    you will be better off that way
    01-21-09 03:25 PM
    Probably, the best thing you can do is, not read anything about it. Get it, use it, and decide for yourself. Don't let any of us influence your decision one way or the other.
    01-21-09 03:27 PM
    to be honest we cant tell you if to get a phone.. i've heard loads of people have had two or three of these and im still on my first and i love it...
    but its your choice at the end of the day
    Agreed, I've had mine since day one and have had no problems with hardware or software. You have to remember that most posts on forums are going to be about the negative side of things. You won't see too many posts about: "I LOVE MY STORM" etc....Try it out, if you don't like it return it.
    01-21-09 03:28 PM
    Hey, i'm relatively new to the blackberry scene but let me see if i can help you out.

1.) your storm should have .75 for an OS (it is the latest "official" OS)

2.) The other Operating Systems you are reading about are "leaked" which brings us to...

3.) a leaked OS is a Operating system that is still being "worked" on by the company, it is not official but sometimes can improve your experience and/or fix problems. I would not recommend upgrading to a leaked OS unless you somewhat know what you are doing and can back up your device.

4.) Many people are returning their storm for various reasons. A majority of the the users find it clumsy and slow. In my opinion, the storm is not quite there yet but i'm willing to give RIM some credit and let them work out their problems, fortunately from what i understand most of the problems, and most certainly the ones i'm facing are OS/Software based and can be hotfixed with an upgrade that is bound to be coming.

5.)The screen stick leaking light i'm not sure what exactly is meant by this but i'm assuming they mean that the touch screen leaks light out of the sides of panel. This is unfortunately true, who knows what the reasons are (engineering flaw? or perhaps it is to let the device "breathe" who knows). I dont really notice it unless i'm in the dark and even then it doesn't really bother me.

6.) Unfortunately when you turn off your blackberry device and turn it back on it does not reset the memory on the device. The only way to accomplish this to "pull" the battery out of the back of the device. Their are 3rd party programs available to do this without physically pulling the battery out (referred to as a soft pull). Also their is a keyboard shortcut to do this but i found that the 3rd party app does the job just fine and its free. (it is called Quickpull)

7.) On the "desktop" of the device are located by default all your pre-installed programs, etc. To increase your speed of your device it is recommended that you consolidate your icons into folders, much like you would on a computer desktop. Optimally you would want 8 icons, i personally run with 10.

8.) personally i haven't heard anything about a WiFi enabled storm coming out. Honestly, it might be a little nice but i am doing just fine without it. The verizon network has NEVER failed me, it offers great speed and great coverage. I think RIM did not include Wifi simply because if you have a good network and a little tiny bit of patience, you dont really need it.

I hope i answered some of your questions. If you need to learn more just troll the forums a bit, every question you could ever ask have been covered somewhere lol.

If your looking for an opinion, i spent a little longer than i would have liked to optimizing my Storm as much as i knew how. I found that it makes a huge difference if you just know a little of what you are doing. I am happy with the phone and i bought it knowing in full what i was getting myself into. I think if RIM stays on top of the updates the Storm will be worth keeping.
    01-21-09 03:32 PM
    I ordered my first Verizon Blackberry (Storm 9530)yesterday and should have it today or tomorrow. Wish I would have found this site prior to ordering it, cause now im concerned........

-Whats all the talk about the OS? What should my storm have when it arrives .75 I'm guessing?
    -Whats a leaked OS?
    -What's with the "9520" that will have WiFi? Is there one? When will it come out? I want WiFi so if there is a version coming out soon, I'll send this one back unopened and wait.

GO SLOW.......If you are new to BB just go slow. Don't get caught up in all the change this, change that stuff. Read the posts. There is a lot of help here. Unless you're in Canada don't worry about the 9520. you don't need WiFi with Verizon. Your phone should come with .75 OS. It's the latest official.

Get to know your phone and have fun. It takes a while to understand BB if you have had any other brand of phone. You will here a lot of complaining but there are more that have had their Storm trouble free from day one myself included. Apps are beginning to appear.

You have found the right place for help so stick around Crackberry and enjoy.

George
    01-21-09 03:36 PM

-Whats a leaked OS?

-since your new to blackberry, dont worry about the leaked os's.. but i believe someone has already explained those.

-the screen "stick" youre talking about is probably referencing the fact that some phones dont click well, or have a mushy or "sticky" click, usually above the physical keys or below the top panel. since you just ordered you will hopefully get a good clicking screen since its believed RIM has been fixing this for newer ones made. im only my 2nd storm (replaced the first because of a slightly mushy click) and it clicks consistently perfect.

-battery pulls are something youll do with any blackberry. consider the phone to be a computer, computers need to be shut down and restarted from time to time. this is what a battery pull acts like. when you first get your phone you should be around 55mb of application memory (found via options->memory), this will decrease throughout the day, or week, depending on what you have running (application wise--make sure you close out ones youre not currently using!)

-on the home screen you can set the amount of icons you want, it is said that if you have 8 or less it will increase speed (accelerometer wise, opening apps wise). i personally dont think you need more than 8, for if you go into your menu everything is there. i only use 4 on my home screen and thats more than enough.

-i think either bell or rogers has the 9520 with wifi. you really dont need it for the 9530 because 3g is very fast, IMHO. plus wifi tends to drain the battery.

-if you want to go for the iphone, try it. but be warned you cant multitask as well, cant change or pull the battery and i see and know a lot of people who complain about it crashing a lot. not to mention, no MMS, no customizable profiles for sms, email (as far as i know).. and a really REALLY unreliable network full of dropped calls.

im no verizon or storm fanboy, im just regurgitating what ive learned or heard.
    but if you decide to keep with the storm, stick around here and youll find everything you need.

good luck
    01-21-09 04:22 PM
    Maybe... or maybe you should just use the phone for a few weeks and see how it treats you. I don't use this forum to reconfirm my somewhat jaded opinion of my Storm... I use it to help solve problems that I have and to assist others with problems they may have.
    Exactly - when you get the device, use it for 2 weeks, then come back. That is if you are the type of person that wants others to decide for you. The Storm is a controversial device, and that is exaggerated in this forum.

Use it, Enjoy it, Love it.
    01-21-09 04:45 PM
    Dont waste your money!!!!
    01-21-09 04:47 PM
    I would suggest that you start with the 3rd Sticky Thread on the BlackBerry Storm 9530/9500 Forums. Its listed

*Popular Blackberry Storm Posts

From there alot of your questions can be answered.
    01-21-09 04:51 PM
    Agreed, I've had mine since day one and have had no problems with hardware or software. You have to remember that most posts on forums are going to be about the negative side of things. You won't see too many posts about: "I LOVE MY STORM" etc....Try it out, if you don't like it return it.
    Agreed 100%. Since its on the way, try it and make a decision for yourself. I am on my origional unit, got it on day 2. IT IS NOT a standard telephone, it is a Blackberry and a new OS with a new technology. Once you get the hang of it you will be fine. Remember you have a 30 day worry free from Verizon. If after a 2 or 3 weeks you realize it is not for you, Go back to Verizon and get a different phone.
    01-21-09 05:09 PM
    The info your're getting here is great. I am new to BB, received my first Storm Dec. 17th, and now on my 3rd. . My present Storm has been outstanding compared to my first 2. While some of the issues with the Storm have been software, or user quirks, mine was definately a device issue. (system crash on average 10-15 times a day, and sometimes during calls) I felt like throwing it away a few times, but didn't. After reading many of the post here, I could have become more discouraged and forfeited the chance to experience an innovation that is both fun and functional all in the same package. I am glad I stayed with it and am confident that Rim will continue to improve its performance.

I would take the advice and get the phone, try it and make your own assessment. Having no experience with anything other than the touch screen, I have nothing to compare it too, but I am happy with my Storm.

Dan
    01-21-09 05:18 PM
    I am on my fisrt Storm which happens to be my first BB as well. Thank whatever higher power you wish that you found this site. Crackberry has been a savior for me in learning about my Storm. I read a lot of posts on here before I even ordered my Storm and still decided I wanted one. I love my Storm! I have a few friends that have now gotten Storms as a result of seeing mine and out of five only one has had to send his back. I would strongly suggest that if and when you get a Storm that you read the posts on how to use it first. Should you experience what you deem to be a problem search the forums for that issue and see if there is a way to reslove it. I have not had any real issues with mt Storm that were not a result of me deleting something or adding something. This forum is full of information from a lot of very knowledgeable people as well as a lot of opinions from unhappy people. Make your own decision based on what you read both good and bad and try the phone. If you find it is too much, not what you expected, or are just not happy with it send it back and get something else. The only warning I will give you is that it is not called Crackberry for no reason! Both the BB and CB are addicting! Good luck with whatever decision you make.
    01-21-09 06:04 PM
    Coming from someone who never did figure out how to set the clock on a VCR and this being my first BB, I love it!

I got mine this month and have not had any major problems. I found that a battery pull helped fix the few minor things. The Desktop Manager that comes with the phone made transferring songs, ringtones and pics very easy.

After the first hour of owning it, I realised it was going to take a bit of time to learn about all the features and each night would read thru the posts here, learning, sitting with my phone in hand, learning the nuances and "how to" of the phone.

It's been great and this forum is a must. The folks have been very kind, helpful and have a great sense of humour.

Enjoy it. Learn it. Spend some time here after you get it.

Remember you have 30 days to return it if you find it's not for you.
    01-21-09 06:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD