So I cracked my screen. It was in my hoodie front pocket, and forgot it was in there when I took off my hoodie. I deserve to be whipped for abusing my baby... but I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make it right.

OK for the technical stuff... I got it in December with no warranty, and obviously the complimentary 3 month warranty is over ;_;. any ideas on what action I can take?

Is it even possible to buy a screen for myself and replace it on my own?

Thanks for any input/help.
    06-09-09 09:37 PM
    The screen is available, but who knows how easy or hard it is to be installed.

BlackBerry Storm 9500/9530 LCD/digitizer unit - Type 1- BlackBerry, Alcatel, NEC, Accessories Store, Acer, Panasonic, Nokia, BenQ-Siemen

you may be better off just buying a used one, there are some going for like $250.
    06-09-09 09:42 PM
    take to verizon store, they should still do the 50 dollar in store fru replacement for you.
    06-09-09 09:42 PM
    take to verizon store, they should still do the 50 dollar in store fru replacement for you.
    oh yea? Thank you sir I will call them tomorrow and ask about it, and post back here
    06-09-09 09:44 PM
    So I cracked my screen. It was in my hoodie front pocket, and forgot it was in there when I took off my hoodie. I deserve to be whipped for abusing my baby... but I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make it right.
    That could be the plot to the next great horror movie...
    06-09-09 09:46 PM
    That could be the plot to the next great horror movie...
    It does sound a little like what you would read on the back of a movie box lol
    06-09-09 09:54 PM
    do a insurance claim on it a get a new one
    06-09-09 10:19 PM
    did you even read beyond the first sentence?
    06-09-09 10:26 PM
    do you know how to read? He doesn't have insurance dur da dur.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-09 10:26 PM
    Dang it jcharris you beat me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-09 10:27 PM
    again: no insurance -.-
    Obviously if I had been smart enough to buy insurance, I would be smart enough to use it, instead of posting here.
    06-09-09 10:31 PM

Really? They will? For a cracked screen with no insurance?
    I hope they do.
    06-09-09 10:31 PM
    Really? They will? For a cracked screen with no insurance?
    I hope they do.

they should. we do it all the time for customers as long as its minor physical damage (cracked lcd isnt' consider major in the eyes of the manufacturers). The reason being is that it can have the screen replaced, any housings replaced and sent back out as another fru.

The only times most stores will turn you away is major physical damage where the screen is physically broken/shattered, the phone is in more then one piece (ie flip phone is broken in half) or there is water damage with corrosion in the charging port.
    06-09-09 10:37 PM
    they should. we do it all the time for customers as long as its minor physical damage (cracked lcd isnt' consider major in the eyes of the manufacturers). The reason being is that it can have the screen replaced, any housings replaced and sent back out as another fru.

The only times most stores will turn you away is major physical damage where the screen is physically broken/shattered, the phone is in more then one piece (ie flip phone is broken in half) or there is water damage with corrosion in the charging port.
    You've been most helpful, thank you
    06-09-09 11:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD