I've never used a touch screen before, and the size looked a little daunting on the video.

Can someone tell me if this will not be as 'one'haned' friendly as My Curve?
    09-15-08 07:37 PM
    Maybe, it'll probably take a little while to get used to though.
    09-15-08 07:39 PM
    How are any of us here supposed to know? Watch the video and decide for yourself. None of us have used the device, besides Crucial (maybe? idono). Since it's a touch screen, I'd assume that it'd be hard to operate one handed. Probably not impossible, but challenging. I don't even like using my Pearl one handed so I don't really have to worry about that though.
    09-15-08 07:50 PM
    I don't even like using my Pearl one handed so I don't really have to worry about that though.
    I dunno, it would be a little harder for me to drive if I have to use both hands on the Storm.

I realize we don't have it yet, so I suppose I was asking someone who may have used touchscreens.
    09-15-08 07:59 PM
    I dunno, it would be a little harder for me to drive if I have to use both hands on the Storm.
    09-15-08 08:11 PM
    I would think that in vertical portrait mode it would be pretty similar to a pearl. Which I do one handed while driving with out an issue. So far.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-08 08:33 PM
    without physical buttons you'd have to look while drive-texting

unless you can "sense" the locations via midichlorian connection
    09-15-08 09:37 PM
    I would think that in vertical portrait mode it would be pretty similar to a pearl.
    Good thought
    09-16-08 12:02 AM
    I would think that in vertical portrait mode it would be pretty similar to a pearl. Which I do one handed while driving with out an issue. So far.

People, please use the Vlingo application. Its perfect for driving and composing emails/SMS messages. Its MUCH safer for you and others on the road. CB did a great review on it last week. Try it, I'm sure you'll like it.

09-16-08 12:07 AM
    I would totally hold this thing with both hands because knowing me, I'd drop it and be sad face the whole day.
    09-16-08 01:05 AM
    It will not be as one-handed as the Curve. I sold my curve to try out the LG Dare so I can compare the qwerty of the curve with the touchscreen of the Dare.

It will be difficult to text one-handed. When in portrait mode, the keyboard will be a condensed keyboard, either a really, really tiny qwerty keyboard or, like the Dare, a regular sized standard T9 keyboard (Single press for the letter A, double press for the letter B, triple press for C, etc). To get to the full size qwerty keyboard, you need to turn the handset sideways making it difficult to type one handed.

The ohter big problem with touchscreens is that you do have to look at them to select items. You just cant feel where the buttons are. Even for speed dialing, which I could do without looking at my Curve. I have to look down at the Dare to see where I need to press. The front is flat so there are no buttons to help you orient yourself.

I like the touchscreen phones because it gives the phone a sleek appearance and allows you to have a bigger screen without having a giant phone.
    09-16-08 08:35 AM
    I really think the Storm is great. I maight be to attacht to my Curve (or thinking in the Bold) but, how will be typing in it?

09-16-08 08:58 AM
    Simple solution. It will probably, like most touch phones, be more two handed.

On the other hand, use Vlingo if you are driving like stated. You shouldn't text and drive, I don't care how good you are at either, you put not only yourself but other people at danger when you are doing that!

Man i'm sounding old but crap all the bad drivers now a days, throw texting at em to? No thank you!
    09-16-08 09:00 AM
    It will not be as one-handed as the Curve. I sold my curve to try out the LG Dare so I can compare the qwerty of the curve with the touchscreen of the Dare.

It will be difficult to text one-handed. When in portrait mode, the keyboard will be a condensed keyboard, either a really, really tiny qwerty keyboard or, like the Dare, a regular sized standard T9 keyboard (Single press for the letter A, double press for the letter B, triple press for C, etc). To get to the full size qwerty keyboard, you need to turn the handset sideways making it difficult to type one handed.

The ohter big problem with touchscreens is that you do have to look at them to select items. You just cant feel where the buttons are. Even for speed dialing, which I could do without looking at my Curve. I have to look down at the Dare to see where I need to press. The front is flat so there are no buttons to help you orient yourself.

I like the touchscreen phones because it gives the phone a sleek appearance and allows you to have a bigger screen without having a giant phone.
    Last I knew portrait mode is going to have a suretype keyboard like the pearl.
    09-16-08 09:09 AM
    Last I knew portrait mode is going to have a suretype keyboard like the pearl.
    your probably right. I was talking about the Dare and it has smaller T9 keyboard in portrait mode. Either way, typing one handed on a touchscreen on a suretype keyboard will be difficult. I found the Pearl difficult with Suretype hard keys which is why I jumped ship when the curve came out...

it will be interesting to see how the touchscreen works out...it is a lot different than a qwerty keyboard.
    09-16-08 02:01 PM
    To be honest with you. Before I got my blackberry curve, I owned a Voyager and an LG Dare. They are definatly NOT friendly one handed. You have to use both hands to really get the natural expierence of a touch screen. They were nice phones, but once I got the curve and got the little keys on it, it just seems like a much better phone and for some reason, I dont know if I really want to switch back to a touch screen. This Storm would REALLY have to show me something diffrent that would be eye bobbling for me to switch. Id rather wait for the BOLD if it comes to us on Verizon.
    09-17-08 08:42 AM
    Agree. The main things I like about the curve its it's one handed usability, due in part to the trackball...and of course the raised querty keys. I had a Samsung i730 (touchscreen) for years and it did everything...WIFI, Remote Control, etc. But needed 2 hands to really use it proper.

I am actually a little more excited about the Niagra.

To be honest with you. Before I got my blackberry curve, I owned a Voyager and an LG Dare. They are definatly NOT friendly one handed. You have to use both hands to really get the natural expierence of a touch screen. They were nice phones, but once I got the curve and got the little keys on it, it just seems like a much better phone and for some reason, I dont know if I really want to switch back to a touch screen. This Storm would REALLY have to show me something diffrent that would be eye bobbling for me to switch. Id rather wait for the BOLD if it comes to us on Verizon.
    09-17-08 09:39 AM
    i doubt it's easy to use one handed. probably impossible.
    09-17-08 09:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD