Do you think a new os might be available in 2008? Or are you not able to say that much? Remember I said might, so there is no right or wrong answer. lol
    12-06-08 02:47 AM
    I had the same message, and I deleted the V-cast app.That freed up enough space to start the download.
    12-06-08 03:19 AM
    I thought the phone had 128MB RAM and 1GB FLASH?

Civic is saying the phone has only 128MB Flash. Unless i am misunderstanding here.

is a blackberry not like, say, a cisco router?

the flash is Non-volital like all flash, and it stores the os rom, and files needed, etc.

then upon boot up of the device, the rom is run in ram along with all the current processes.

so wouldnt 128mb RAM and 1GB Flash be not so bad? Or is BB not like this?
    12-06-08 03:45 AM
    Do you think a new os might be available in 2008? Or are you not able to say that much? Remember I said might, so there is no right or wrong answer. lol
    we're supposedly getting another upgrade sometime later this month
    12-06-08 09:52 AM

Civic is saying the phone has only 128MB Flash. Unless i am misunderstanding here.

the flash is Non-volital like all flash, and it stores the os rom, and files needed, etc.

then upon boot up of the device, the rom is run in ram along with all the current processes.

Yeah, I think that's question. The media files stored on the device don't disappear after a battery pull, so how could it be volatile memory? If that's true, then what stops the gig of NAND Flash from being retasked via a major OS change?
    12-06-08 01:34 PM
    I updated through OTA and it did say that for mine as well. But it still went through it just said removing old stuff. And updated. Not sure what it did. Oh and .75 is not faster. Accelerometer still doesn't detect half the time. Still get lag when pressing keys. Browser even slower than before.
    12-06-08 02:00 PM
    Obviously, if you feel that way, you should take what you feel is a POS back.
    [IMG]http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r404/CrucialXtreme
    I misspoke. I didn't mean to say the entire device was developed poorly, but some of its components could be considered questionable. I really do love the phone.

CX, could you please please please post one more tiny tiny bit of information in regards to the next update? Pretty please?

/end groveling
    12-08-08 07:09 PM

It must be hard being in IT huh?

It's not like a Cisco Router because on a Cisco you can change the running config and not wr mem, then reboot and it's all back to the way it was. A BB does not function like this. There is one giant NAND Flash module in these new BBs (ever since the Bold came out). MoviNAND, made by Samsung. Currently there's 128MB of Flash for OS/System use and 1GB (8xxMB available) for user data usage, similar to a Memory Card, but onboard and non-removable.

The differences between a BB and a Cisco router is that on a BB, as it runs, it'll write to its own system Flash as needed for storage of app data and otherwise. I said this before in previous posts. It's how the Java OS works.

Picture a Cisco router that writes it's logs to the onboard Flash on a regular basis in realtime and you'll have a general understanding of how a BB works on the memory level. Now imagine if you didn't clear those logs and you tried to tftp that new IOS up to the router and you didn't have enough memory left... exactly, it wouldn't work. Same thing here. I hope that clearer.
    12-08-08 09:08 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD