People have been experiencing memory shortage issues when trying to do an OTA update because of the limited FLASH in the Storm. Who else thinks RIM made a mistake with only 128MB of FLASH?

CX, what say you?
    12-06-08 12:45 AM
    memory clean and soft reset it.

Yeash, you people will find ANYTHING to complain about.
    12-06-08 12:50 AM
    What kind of error? The flash memory shouldn't have anything to do with upgrading the OS. It should be stored on internal memory. It would make better sense if they were having memory shortage issues after installing the OS, and then running it only to find out that the new OS is running new services that the Storm cannot handle.
    12-06-08 12:51 AM
    memory clean and soft reset it.

Yeash, you people will find ANYTHING to complain about.
    lol, you post that like you're trying to help me or something. lol

128MB is what you're stuck with for OS, programs, working memory, AND OTA updates to process. Don't have enough free and it won't work. Still a valid complaint.

128MB of FLASH = SLOW performance and OTA update issues.
    12-06-08 12:54 AM
    It has to be a bug... I doubt RIM would release an update that would max out the System memory.

Edit- ****, why wouldn't they? The obviously designed the phone pretty poorly in the first place.
    12-06-08 12:59 AM
    This phone would be so much better with 256MB in the damn thing. Damn it RIM, why?
    12-06-08 01:02 AM
    This phone would be so much better with 256MB in the damn thing. Damn it RIM, why?
    I agree with the statement above.
    12-06-08 01:24 AM
    ^^^ All hail!

With your current knowledge, can the NAND memory 128MB/1GB be re-allocated to do 256MB with current hardware or not? And why for the love of Pete does only 8xxMB of that 1GB register? How big are the damn allocation units on the file system?
    12-06-08 01:34 AM
    lol, you post that like you're trying to help me or something. lol

128MB is what you're stuck with for OS, programs, working memory, AND OTA updates to process. Don't have enough free and it won't work. Still a valid complaint.

128MB of FLASH = SLOW performance and OTA update issues.
    somebody just got biotch slapped.

I've said this since the release. 128MB is going to be a problem. People want updates but they FAIL to realize this will be a BIG issue.
    12-06-08 01:35 AM
    One thing RIM needs to reconsider is allowing people to get rid of the bullisht preloaded pictures on the Phone if they wanted to. Some of those are over 100k in size. Heck, even some of the ringers are over 145k in size. That's rediculous. They had to trim the fat bigtime on OS4.5 for preloaded pictures and ringtones sizes... you'd think they would have applied the same mentality to the Storm's OS.
    12-06-08 01:38 AM
    One thing RIM needs to reconsider is allowing people to get rid of the bullisht preloaded pictures on the Phone if they wanted to. Some of those are over 100k in size. Heck, even some of the ringers are over 145k in size. That's rediculous. They had to trim the fat bigtime on OS4.5 for preloaded pictures and ringtones sizes... you'd think they would have applied the same mentality to the Storm's OS.
    stop being so hard on them civic give them 12 months they will figure it out ; )
    12-06-08 01:45 AM
    110% on this one Civic. They went the wrong way, bundling all the preloaded media together...
    WTF and then actually enabling the option to delete it all including ringers from the handset..
    Must be the same **** that left standby out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-06-08 01:46 AM
    It has to be a bug... I doubt RIM would release an update that would max out the System memory.

Edit- ****, why wouldn't they? The obviously designed the phone pretty poorly in the first place.
    Obviously, if you feel that way, you should take what you feel is a POS back.

^^^ All hail!

With your current knowledge, can the NAND memory 128MB/1GB be re-allocated to do 256MB with current hardware or not? And why for the love of Pete does only 8xxMB of that 1GB register? How big are the damn allocation units on the file system?
    Can't answer that Civic. Sorry.
    12-06-08 01:47 AM
    Obviously, if you feel that way, you should take what you feel is a POS back.

Umm cx, am I seeing a gif smiley blow himself up in a microwave?
    On a BB?
    Running .76?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-06-08 01:53 AM
    This is promissing... Oh if only RIM's reason for including 1GB onboard is for future allocation expansion on future OSs of the base memory. I'd be truly impressed if this was simply an allocation issue due to OS filesystem support. It would show some intelligence on their part. I will say this in regards to this issue. If the Niagra shows up with 256MB and OS4.7.1.x, then perhaps RIM might have a re-allocation option for the Storm if it releases a higher OS then 4.7.0.x... but that's wishfull thinking on my part.
    12-06-08 01:54 AM
    ^^^ All hail!

If the memory is being addressed in some capacity by the OS then I don't see why they can't use it for things other than storage of media files. It'll take a major change in the OS, so the question is whether or not RIM will take the time to do that. My guess is no. RIM seems to make some irrational choices with the use of their hardware. I guess we'll have to wait and see if OS 5.0 does anything about it.
    12-06-08 01:55 AM
    lol....256mb woulda been rad
    12-06-08 01:55 AM
    This is promissing... Oh if only RIM's reason for including 1GB onboard is for future allocation expansion on future OSs of the base memory. I'd be truly impressed if this was simply an allocation issue due to OS filesystem support. It would show some intelligence on their part. I will say this in regards to this issue. If the Niagra shows up with 256MB and OS4.7.1.x, then perhaps RIM might have a re-allocation option for the Storm if it releases a higher OS then 4.7.0.x... but that's wishfull thinking on my part.
    If you want 256MB, just go get the 8900.
    12-06-08 02:01 AM
    It's not CDMA and when the Niagra comes out, it won't have the pretty and big Storm screen on it. Besides, if my calculations are correct, RIM will find a way to take that 256MB or memory and provide the end user with about 60MB free. After all, it seems that the Storm OS is almost twice the size of an 8830 OS when loaded. I would be sorely dissapointed if the Niagra doesn't register around 176MB free of memory. This is taking into account Storm stripped is 48MB + 128MB additional base memory on the Niagra.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 12-06-08 at 02:09 AM.
    12-06-08 02:06 AM
    It's not CDMA and when the Niagra comes out, it won't have the pretty and big Storm screen on it.
    I has a big pretty screen. It's just not quite as big as the Storms. But the Niagara is diff from 8900. Anyways, as you said, the 95xx should have more regardless.
    12-06-08 02:09 AM
    Exactly, why didn't the testers of the Storm indicate memory size as a weakpoint and request a bump as part of development prior to release? That should have been done.
    12-06-08 02:12 AM
    I'll post it in your thread Civic, .79 is the latest I can post.
    12-06-08 02:12 AM
    you just opened a giant can of worms with that CX
    12-06-08 02:13 AM
    Yes he did
    12-06-08 02:15 AM
    you just opened a giant can of worms with that CX
    Lol, and that's only what I feel comfortable posting. Theres more.
    12-06-08 02:36 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD