Hello everyone, I am new to blackberries...... This storm is my very first blackberry.

OK, to my understanding, a hard pull/soft reset are the same thing and that we remove the battery while its on for 30 seconds, and then put it back in...

So just a few questions about it.

Does it delete my contacts?
    How does this fix anything?
    Why do some updates need this to happen?
    12-19-08 01:35 AM
    Nope it doesn't delete your contacts, people do this if their device is frozen/stuck. Not sure why you need to do this for updates cause I haven't had to but hopefully with more updates means less battery pulls. Hope this helps a little.
    12-19-08 02:15 AM
    Read up on the Lecture 101 Series, it will explain a LOT for you on the basics of using your new blackberry.

Welcome to the crack.
    12-19-08 03:28 AM
    Hello everyone, I am new to blackberries...... This storm is my very first blackberry.

OK, to my understanding, a hard pull/soft reset are the same thing and that we remove the battery while its on for 30 seconds, and then put it back in...

So just a few questions about it.

Does it delete my contacts?
    How does this fix anything?
    Why do some updates need this to happen?
    Its like rebooting a PC however you wont lose anything.

Basically blackberrys are always on type devices..

so turning them off isn't really turning them off. Everyonce in a while they need a reboot which the battery pull or quickpull does
    12-19-08 03:39 AM
    so how do you do a hard reset and delete all the contacts/calendar appointments/etc...
    12-24-08 03:15 PM
    so how do you do a hard reset and delete all the contacts/calendar appointments/etc...

Be absolutely positive you want to do this...

Goto Options/ Security Options / General Settings, then hit your BB menu button, and select wipe handheld.

Good luck.
    12-24-08 03:31 PM

Goto Options/ Security Options / General Settings, then hit your BB menu button, and select wipe handheld.

Good luck.
    Thanks! Its for my defective device that I have to send back to Verizon and I want to delete all my information first.
    12-24-08 04:17 PM
    Ok Good Luck Welcome To Crack
    12-24-08 04:22 PM
    Thanks! Its for my defective device that I have to send back to Verizon and I want to delete all my information first.
    VERY GOOD IDEA...there are some shady people out there...
    12-24-08 04:23 PM

so turning them off isn't really turning them off.
    my phone ran out of batteries completely once. trust me, it was OFF.
    12-24-08 07:41 PM
    Lol well I suppose when the phone doesn't have a power source to run off anymore, that yes, it would definitely be off off.
    12-24-08 07:45 PM

Good luck.
    Glad I read this, Im sending back my defective Storm and the last thing I want is for someone to have access to any personal information

*tanks*
    12-24-08 07:57 PM
    VERY GOOD IDEA...there are some shady people out there...
    yeah there are! identity theft... lol
    12-24-08 08:50 PM
    One of the main benefits I get from a battery pull/soft reset (I use the Soft Reset App) is memory recovery. Currently the Storm firmware, for many of us, leaks app memory (think of this like PC RAM) and when it gets low enough your Storm starts acting REAL funky (laggy, buggier that usual etc), and a pull fixes this and recovers the memory.

You will find the Soft Reset App (as well as a similar App called Quick Pull) in the OTA Apps Thread.
    12-24-08 09:50 PM
    You can also take your sim card out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-25-08 01:47 AM
    Nothing is stored on the SIM card by default.
    12-25-08 01:57 AM

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

i'll try that too. thanks!
    12-26-08 01:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD