Well, most of the screen still clicks.. But the lower, left-hand area, where you would normally click to delete a message, or click reply to a message, or click close on a menu, no longer clicks as of this morning when I woke up to my alarm. The rest of the screen clicks and works fine, this part of the screen will accept my touch and register a 'click' if I press hard enough, but it no longer feels like the screen is being depressed as a button on that area. Should I go straight to the Verizon store, complain and have em send me a new phone, or is it just me.

Would like to know if anyone else has had this happen.

No I haven't dropped the phone or abused it in any way, I'm one of the few people that absolutely LOVE my storm, and have yet to have any major problems, til today that is..

Thanks
    04-14-09 09:49 AM
    Either try one of the fixes on crackberry. or yes take it to the store.
    04-14-09 09:52 AM
    Apparently, the earlier releases of the phone had some problems with the screen clicking after a while. If you search the forums, I think there are some fixes out there.

But if you're like me, you don't want to rig a device that you paid good money for. If that's the case, I would take your phone to the Verizon store.

Usually, (to keep your business), if there is something physically wrong with the phone, they will issue you a new phone right in the store, and you can be on your way.

If you are taking this route, I would talk to a sales rep, or even the manager if you can get ahold of him/her. I would tell them that you are having problems with the screen.

Let us know what happens! And good luck!
    04-14-09 09:56 AM
    Apparently, the earlier releases of the phone had some problems with the screen clicking after a while. If you search the forums, I think there are some fixes out there.

But if you're like me, you don't want to rig a device that you paid good money for. If that's the case, I would take your phone to the Verizon store.

Usually, (to keep your business), if there is something physically wrong with the phone, they will issue you a new phone right in the store, and you can be on your way.

If you are taking this route, I would talk to a sales rep, or even the manager if you can get ahold of him/her. I would tell them that you are having problems with the screen.

Let us know what happens! And good luck!
    Thank you, yes I've looked around on the forum to reply to the other fella who responded. No such luck other than tighten/loosen the torx screws, which I will not do, and the business card trick, which doesn't work for my application.

As you said, You'd rather have something that just works, than trying to rig something up, I did pay good money for this phone, and I expected it to work.. that HTC Touch Pro is looking more and more desirable for some reason, the nearest REAL VZW Store is about 24 miles from me, so its sort of a hike is why I ask before I drive all the way up there to get disappointed and irate with someone.
    04-14-09 10:08 AM
    Thank you, yes I've looked around on the forum to reply to the other fella who responded. No such luck other than tighten/loosen the torx screws, which I will not do, and the business card trick, which doesn't work for my application.

As you said, You'd rather have something that just works, than trying to rig something up, I did pay good money for this phone, and I expected it to work.. that HTC Touch Pro is looking more and more desirable for some reason, the nearest REAL VZW Store is about 24 miles from me, so its sort of a hike is why I ask before I drive all the way up there to get disappointed and irate with someone.

I might try calling the store first, and ask them when the manager will be available.

I would always try to get in touch with the manager. Those sales reps have no idea what they are doing, and the managers are always FAR more superior. Plus, they are usually very busy, and want to get you out of their hair as quickly as possible. Providing you a new phone would be a quick fix for them. :]

As far as switching devices, are you unhappy with the Storm, other than the screen issue?
    04-14-09 10:11 AM
    I might try calling the store first, and ask them when the manager will be available.

I would always try to get in touch with the manager. Those sales reps have no idea what they are doing, and the managers are always FAR more superior. Plus, they are usually very busy, and want to get you out of their hair as quickly as possible. Providing you a new phone would be a quick fix for them. :]

As far as switching devices, are you unhappy with the Storm, other than the screen issue?
    Yeah I planned on calling the store, but the issue is.. they're not very helpful on the phone at this particular store from past experiences. This is also assuming they have one in stock.. but Ive also been thinking about the 8830 World Edition in Red.

I am happy with the Storm, its a great phone, but its overall performance, and Verizon and RIM's neglect in getting us a better, firmer, more stable version of the O/S is getting to the point where I'm losing faith. Then rumors of a 2nd version of the phone possibly being released later this year, not that it could hold up in court, but its kind of disheartening ya know?

Overall its a great phone, but having to do battery pulls, yes I use quick pull, but it still takes just as long to do so, just because of some crazy memory leak causing my phone to bog down from doing, well.. nothing really. All of the small stuff adds up to a slight unhappiness with the phone overall, and today was kind of a 'last nail in the coffin' for me. If they painlessly want to just swap my phone out for a new one.. great! But I wonder if they're going to want to let me switch out the memory cards etc.. so I do need to talk to them, which I'm actually going to do momentarily. I wanted to respond to you on here though with my thoughts on the phone.
    04-14-09 10:18 AM
    Yeah I planned on calling the store, but the issue is.. they're not very helpful on the phone at this particular store from past experiences. This is also assuming they have one in stock.. but Ive also been thinking about the 8830 World Edition in Red.

I am happy with the Storm, its a great phone, but its overall performance, and Verizon and RIM's neglect in getting us a better, firmer, more stable version of the O/S is getting to the point where I'm losing faith. Then rumors of a 2nd version of the phone possibly being released later this year, not that it could hold up in court, but its kind of disheartening ya know?

Overall its a great phone, but having to do battery pulls, yes I use quick pull, but it still takes just as long to do so, just because of some crazy memory leak causing my phone to bog down from doing, well.. nothing really. All of the small stuff adds up to a slight unhappiness with the phone overall, and today was kind of a 'last nail in the coffin' for me. If they painlessly want to just swap my phone out for a new one.. great! But I wonder if they're going to want to let me switch out the memory cards etc.. so I do need to talk to them, which I'm actually going to do momentarily. I wanted to respond to you on here though with my thoughts on the phone.

I know exactly what you mean about the OS instability. I assume you have upgraded to a leaked OS, however. If not, I would do that first! :]

As far as the store, I have the same problem. My local store has horrible customer service, and they never cater to my needs. They're very generic and never seem to really understand the problem I'm having. But you never really know until you talk to them.

The only advice I have for you about keeping the phone is that I think you should do what you feel is best for you. Eventually... eventually... eventually, RIM will release a stable, improved, official OS. I think we will be satisfied, but until that time, we can only make do with what we have.

Let me know how your talk with Verizon goes, however! I will be very interested to hear what they say! And good luck! :]
    04-14-09 10:25 AM
    If I were you I would just call customer service and not the store. Ask for a tech guy and describe your hardware problem. You will get a lot further with them than at the store. I am also having problems with the screen not clicking in the same spot. This is my second storm after I had my first one swapped due to dust getting into the screen. Like I said, steer clear of your local store and just call up a verizon tech guy as they will understand right off the bat what is going on and you will not have to wait forever in the store and watch 5 vzw reps scratch their heads and take canned air to your phone...lol good luck!
    04-14-09 10:26 AM
    I had the same problem on the bottom left side. I just returned it and got a new one. I don't think you should have to rig a phone to work when it should work out of the box.
    04-14-09 10:28 AM
    So, I got on the phone with VZW Tech support, and I have a new one shipping out for Thurs. Arrival.. we'll see. Its new not refurb, I pushed for that..

I really wish I didn't have to go through this mess.. its a pain in the **** and I mean, this isn't a cheap piece of hardware we're talkin about here. I'm gonna give it one more go, and if anything.. i mean ANYTHING severe goes wrong with it.. it'll be HTC Touch Pro/Diamond time.. or at least something comparable, I do love my Berry though.. we'll see.
    04-14-09 11:10 AM
    This same thing happened to me except my entire screen froze. I think its a problem with the clicking mechanism since mine got stuck down from normal use.

I went to a Verizon store and the genius working there had no clue what to do. He said he had never seen this before then told me the Samsung Omnea was a much better phone than the storm and that I should pay like 500 dollars for another new phone. Anyways, I they gave me a new phone and I'm about to return that one now.

You can also call Verizon support. They will mail you a new phone. The best part about that is I think the phone tech support is much more educated on the storm.

Make sure you back up your phone before you try to get it exchanged. I didn't do that and it sucked!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-14-09 11:18 AM
    This same thing happened to me except my entire screen froze. I think its a problem with the clicking mechanism since mine got stuck down from normal use.

I went to a Verizon store and the genius working there had no clue what to do. He said he had never seen this before then told me the Samsung Omnea was a much better phone than the storm and that I should pay like 500 dollars for another new phone. Anyways, I they gave me a new phone and I'm about to return that one now.

You can also call Verizon support. They will mail you a new phone. The best part about that is I think the phone tech support is much more educated on the storm.

Make sure you back up your phone before you try to get it exchanged. I didn't do that and it sucked!

Yeah I called support, and no they don't know more, at least I hope not.. He told me to do a battery pull, I said.. the screen isn't clicking in that area.. its hardware, not software.. he insisted that I do the battery pull, so to make him happy I did.. so we sat there in awkward silence for 5-7 minutes while the thing booted up.

If I do switch, if this berry goes bad.. I'll be going HTC, because I want a touch screen and I miss having a full keyboard somewhat.. like my LG Voyager had.. so we'll see.

Yes I backup all of my devices.. computers and my phone once a week
    04-14-09 11:22 AM
    I love the awkward silence on the phone with the Verizon reps when the phone is restarting.

Everytime I call I foray tell them what I have done already to fix it. I try the best I can to show them I know what is wrong. Then I make it seem worse than it is!

04-14-09 11:35 AM
    Don't you hate when you get the feeling you could do a better job than some of these support people?

It makes me sick. >.<
    04-14-09 12:48 PM
    Don't you hate when you get the feeling you could do a better job than some of these support people?

It makes me sick. >.<
    Yeah especially being an unemployed full-time student that could use a job with good benefits and bonuses like working for Verizon.. buttmunkys!
    04-14-09 12:49 PM
    Yeah especially being an unemployed full-time student that could use a job with good benefits and bonuses like working for Verizon.. buttmunkys!
    Do they really get it good: working for Verizon?
    04-14-09 12:59 PM
    Do they really get it good: working for Verizon?
    Im not an official source of that info.. but to my understanding they have good benefits and they get a good discount on Verizon products/service.
    04-14-09 01:01 PM
    Im not an official source of that info.. but to my understanding they have good benefits and they get a good discount on Verizon products/service.
    I'd really like to know, because if so.. Bleh. That's just garbage.

How many times have you walked into a Verizon store, and seen a sales rep or customer service rep holding a phone in their hands, flipping it over occasionally, taking the battery out, restarting the phone, and tinkering with various settings? All while the patient customer (usually older) stands by hoping for a fix for their phone.

And it never fails that the rep has a BRILLIANT idea, and takes the phone behind the counter. "Let me update your software to see if that fixes the problem."

WAH LA! After the software updates (takes between 5-30 minutes), the phone is magically fixed!

Tip when applying for Verizon customer service: Learn how to hook a phone up to a computer via USB and press "Start" on your trusty software updating application.

-.- Oh, and they are really good at heckling money out of everyone. ^.^
    04-14-09 01:12 PM
    I had the same problem on the bottom left side. I just returned it and got a new one. I don't think you should have to rig a phone to work when it should work out of the box.
    enough said! I had the same issue. They swapped it out no questions asked.
    04-14-09 02:36 PM

It makes me sick. >.<

Over the phone with the techies I don't have problems.. It is when you step foot in the store that the chaos begins....
    04-14-09 03:34 PM
    Issue is all better.. new phone on its way, like paulwright said.. no questions asked.. and i just got it on .113 and lovin it *sad face*
    04-15-09 11:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD