I have the Storm 9530 with Verizon. Previously I had the World Edition. I am familiar to blackberry and am confident using it, but I have no idea about OS upgrades and need help. A retail dealer advised me to upgrade to version 4.7.0.75, which I did. However I don't see much difference from what I had before, if not it may be slower. It feels like the phone is way to slow, specifically when switching orientations in the middle of an operation. Also when making a speed dial call it takes forever to register that I am holding a button down, and sometimes doesn't work at all, and it doesn't make the dialing sound that it used to. Also answering calls is awkward (as I have read in other posts) there are other annoying little bugs.
    My question is, should I download one of these leaked new operating systems and, does that void the warranty on the phone or my Verizon protection plan? And are these leaked OS versions better than 75, or fix any of the above complaints?
    All in all I love the device. I do not use it for business, but mostly just because I figure if I am stuck in a 2 year commitment, I may as well buy the coolest, best, and newest phone offered, and it is just fun to have. I'm sure all these bugs will get worked out someday, just want to know if it is worth downloading a leaked OS or waiting for Verizon or RIM to release one...
    Thanks for the advise!!!
    01-06-09 11:37 PM
    Its more of a personal choice. The next official fix may come out soon, and if staff discover that your using a leaked version and you screw the phone up they won't help you and if you ask for replacements you'll have to pay full retail price. So yeah wait for the official. I am using the latest official release and am willing to deal with it for a few more weeks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-09 11:56 PM
    Are you doing a daily battery pull? Your problems sound like the sort of thing that happens when the application memory gets low.

01-07-09 01:07 AM
    Are you doing a daily battery pull? Your problems sound like the sort of thing that happens when the application memory gets low.

Yep. Download Quick Pull from CB and you can schedule a once a day reset.
    01-07-09 01:11 AM
    I also just noticed after posting here that If I cleared all the browser history and cache it helped lots. I guess these are just things I didn't have to worry about with my Redberry (as my wife called my world edition) Thanks.
    01-07-09 01:55 AM
    check out ultimate-official-tips-tricks-only-100612/...it has a lot of tips for gaining memory and speeding up the device.
    you could try any specific search for that too in the thread or out in the forum.
    no it wont void the warranty...you can easily wipe the device and install the official version if you feel comfortable with it.
    hope that helps
    01-07-09 02:01 AM
    Upgrading your os with a leaked version won't void your warranty and even though it is not an official release it is still the same ad if it was.

01-07-09 02:03 AM
    Yep. Download Quick Pull from CB and you can schedule a once a day reset.
    how do you set it for daily reset?
    01-07-09 02:04 AM
    how do you set it for daily reset?
    When you launch it, you should see a schedule option in your first choices...

01-07-09 02:11 AM
    ... no idea about OS upgrades and need help...
    Hope this is what you are after... anyways, helpful to you and/or another one of us...

I have done this two different ways and the second method is how I do it now...

~~~~~

Includes some threads which add some specifics on the procedure:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...cations-53201/

Here's the way I used to do an upgrade:

I followed the JLcommander Wipe and deleting the vendor.xml procedure.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/prop...ocedure-53359/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...l_cmder-53502/

The way I do it now, quicker but more selections to make using CrackMem:

Do the aforementioned backup and 3rd party backup etc...

CrackMem... http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/cra...eleased-52044/

CrackMem you choose the delete Vendor.xml in the process.

Procedure for upgrades is:
    1. Uninstall the older version from the PC
    2. Install the newer OS to the PC.
    3. Change the theme on the device to carrier default.
    4. Run CrackMem, make desired changes: select the OS; omit the stuff you don't need; select delete Vendor.xml
    5. I had DM running in Background (don�t think you need to), plugged in my BB
    6. Click Wipe

During the upgrade, the device is wiped.

Afterwards, I reinstall the 3rd party apps file as per the http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...cations-53201/

Here�s the quote from tht specifically...

RESTORATION

1) After you've loaded the OS go back & run the Apploader & Select ADD

2) "Browse" to find the folder we saved with your PIN # and Double click on the file named yourpin.alx.

3) Your 3rd Party Apps should appear in the Apploader screen

4) Select Finish to load Apps to device

5) Now you may restore other data from a previous backup.

Last edited by PvT; 01-07-09 at 02:18 AM.
    01-07-09 02:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD