Just got a BB Storm for myself after being with the iphone for the past 2 years. I am completely stumped about almost everything here. I would really appreciate if the BB gods out here could help me out:

1. Is there any way to disable the auto rotate feature of the blackberry. Its annoying when the screen rotates when you dont want it to.

2. Any good GPS programs I can use that are free? I have a mac and i downloaded the amaze gps app. I have two files .alx and .cod. How do I install them on my phone?
    05-04-09 03:48 AM
    Just got a BB Storm for myself after being with the iphone for the past 2 years. I am completely stumped about almost everything here. I would really appreciate if the BB gods out here could help me out:

1. Is there any way to disable the auto rotate feature of the blackberry. Its annoying when the screen rotates when you dont want it to.

2. Any good GPS programs I can use that are free? I have a mac and i downloaded the amaze gps app. I have two files .alx and .cod. How do I install them on my phone?
    1. Not to date. There is currently no way to disable the accelerometer. And to do so would proably require RIM to add the feature. It can be disabled via software for applications but only for that application.
    2. You can install it via Blackberry PocketMac, I believe. I'm not familiar with Macs or the procedures dealing with 'berries. I do know that if you can boot a Win OS on your mac, you can use the Blackberry Desktop Manager to load the application that way
    05-04-09 03:56 AM
    I use Blackberry Maps. It works for me. Has a marker that shows you driving and it gives a Google Maps/Mapquest type of directions. I know a lot of people use Nav4All but I tried it and didn't like it. There's a stickied thread in the 3rd party apps subforum with a list of free apps with OTA download links. Might find a GPS app there. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Enjoy your new toy and addiction.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-04-09 04:15 AM
    Welcome!

I'm not sure how to install those on a mac either, but just wanted to say hi. Best advice for new users: upgrade the os (see the os forums) and give the Storm a few days. It's really frustrating when you first get it, but after a couple of days playing around with it, you get the hang of what's going on.
    05-04-09 04:50 AM
    Welcome to CB and congratulations on the storm. As the other two already said, you can use Pocketmac to install and sync with your device. After installing pocketmac, you can click on utilities on the top of the screen and select "Install Software to Device" to do it. A good program to use for GPS is google maps, you can get it from their OTA link.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-04-09 07:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD