Ok, I've searched and searched and cant find the answer to this so I'll ask it in here.

When I'm typing a text message I keep getting a "field full" message and it doesnt allow me to continue typing. I know that this means that im going on to a second text message but how can I continue typing? Do I have to send the first one and open up a completely new one? On my curve I could just keep on typing and on top of the screen it would indicate what number text I was up to. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks.
    01-15-09 09:15 AM
    Ok, I've searched and searched and cant find the answer to this so I'll ask it in here.

When I'm typing a text message I keep getting a "field full" message and it doesnt allow me to continue typing. I know that this means that im going on to a second text message but how can I continue typing? Do I have to send the first one and open up a completely new one? On my curve I could just keep on typing and on top of the screen it would indicate what number text I was up to. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks.
    Yep, same thing was an adjustment for me from a VX8600. Its just a quirk of the BB; not a good one obviously. You'll have to actually start a new text entirely to keep on keepin' on....
    01-15-09 09:19 AM
    or use a MMS
    01-15-09 09:20 AM
    It's just the way it works. I used to think it was a BB thing, but a friend has a Pearl on T-Mobile and it does this.

To my knowledge there is no way to make ours do this. My previous phone (BlackBerry 8830WE) also did the field full after 160 characters.

A way around this is to send a txt MMS instead of a txt SMS. The MMS will hold a lot more text than a normal txt message will.
    01-15-09 09:21 AM

To add to the other replies and to confirm, your vzw bb will not autosplit txt messages. If you could send a 161+ msg before, I'm guessing your previous curve was not with verizon.
    Last edited by 2020; 01-15-09 at 09:26 AM.
    01-15-09 09:24 AM
    All carriers have a 180 character limit on text messages. The blackberry enforces this limit. Some phones do have the ability to just send a 2nd message with the remaining characters over 180. The blackberry storm at this time does not. Just start a new message and keep typing.
    01-15-09 09:25 AM
    Question after i'm done typing an SMS message is there any easy way to send it or do i always have to hit the blackberry menu key, then hide the keyboard, then click send?
    01-15-09 09:26 AM
    Question after i'm done typing an SMS message is there any easy way to send it or do i always have to hit the blackberry menu key, then hide the keyboard, then click send?
    Theres a FAQ forum at the top of the main Storm page that has a lot of usefull stuff, including this gem:

When you're done hit the blackberry button twice. It brings up the menu and then selects send. Voila.
    01-15-09 09:28 AM
    As posted above you can send an mms. This will allow you 900 characters instead of the 160. You could also just send an email instead.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    All carriers have a 180 character limit on text messages. The blackberry enforces this limit. Some phones do have the ability to just send a 2nd message with the remaining characters over 180. The blackberry storm at this time does not. Just start a new message and keep typing.
    The limit is 160, not 180.....and no verizon blackberry has the ability to auto split the text message.
    Theres a FAQ forum at the top of the main Storm page that has a lot of usefull stuff, including this gem:

When you're done hit the blackberry button twice. It brings up the menu and then selects send. Voila.
    Will look there first next time. Thank you for the reply though!
    01-15-09 09:30 AM
    To add to the other replies and to confirm, your vzw bb will not autosplit txt messages. If you could send a 161+ msg before, I'm guessing your previous curve was not with verizon.

You are correct in that assumption, I had the Curve with ATT.\

So if I switch back to the curve on Verizons network, will I still have this issue?
    01-15-09 09:30 AM
    Budlight, one cool thing i learned from the tips and tricks thread is that when you are finished typing your text message, just run your finger from the top of the keyboard to the bottom and it closes the keyboard. There will be a send icon right at the bottom of the screen.
    01-15-09 09:33 AM
    You are correct in that assumption, I had the Curve with ATT.\

So if I switch back to the curve on Verizons network, will I still have this issue?
    Yes, if you switch back to the vzw curve, you will still be limited to 160 on txt messages.
    01-15-09 09:33 AM
    It has to be a carrier thing - my Vodafone UK 9500 is quite happy to let me ramble on. I think it allows for enough text for 6 smseses. Perhaps this is another reason the firmwares are kept separate.
    01-15-09 09:40 AM
    It has to be a carrier thing - my Vodafone UK 9500 is quite happy to let me ramble on. I think it allows for enough text for 6 smseses. Perhaps this is another reason the firmwares are kept separate.
    It's also a blackberry thing. Some if not all vzw phones (not bb's) will auto split.
    01-15-09 09:48 AM
    Easiest and fastest way to do this:

Swipe the keyboard down from the middle (hides the keyboard)
    Click the send button on the screen
    01-15-09 10:17 AM
    It's also a blackberry thing. Some if not all vzw phones (not bb's) will auto split.
    I believe they will only auto split IN NETWORK. We discussed this in another thread a few weeks ago. Someoen posted a SS of a Storm (may have been a 9500) that had a SMS screen up with a 1/8 at the top of the SMS field and, IIRC, they were unabel to exceed the 160 character limit but were wondering if the 1/8 (message 1 of [possible] 8) indicated that the limiation might be lifited in a later OS. I believe It came down to BB not supporting EMS

My wife & sister had LG phones that would split SMS into multiple messages in network, but truncate teh message at the 160 character limit.

here is the thread http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/onl...33/index2.html
    01-15-09 12:04 PM
    There are two kinds of software, the software we have and the software we wish we had. So, for example, you may use Microsoft Word to write a 1-30 page document. You probably would not use Word to write a whole novel, however.
    01-15-09 03:47 PM
    Easiest and fastest way to do this:

Swipe the keyboard down from the middle (hides the keyboard)
    Click the send button on the screen
    I believe hitting the Blackberry button twice, like mentioned earlier would be the easiest and fastest way to send the txt or MMS.
    01-15-09 04:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD