Hi everyone!
    New BB user here and, as usual, my very first post asks for help
    I have a 9500 Storm with a black display. It lights up (both the keys and the LCD backlight) but the display remains black. The phone function works, as in I can receive calls. Also the display responds to both touch and press (it lights up).
    The LCD is not cracked or anything like that. From what I can tell, it hasn't had any abuse.
    Now... Is there any way I can determine if it's a software related problem or should I just order a replacement LCD?

Also, I got the phone as is, so I have no ideea what OS version it's running or anything like that.
    I've done multiple battery pulls, left it over night with no battery - no result.
    Is there any other way of hard-resetting a Storm? Or blind resetting as is my case..

Hope I didn't bore you too much with the long post.
    Any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks!
    03-29-11 03:21 PM
    If you pulled your battery out that is pretty much a hard reset. Do you have desktop manager on your PC - plug in to the computer and see if the phone is recognized. If so you can reinstall the OSand see if that does any good..
    03-29-11 03:37 PM
    I have connected the Storm to the PC without having any software/drivers installed. It's recognised as 2 mass storage devices (I'm guessing the internal memory and the SD card).
    Also the PC asks for drivers (it recognises it as a BB).
    I have no CD so no drivers or software.
    Also I got lost in all the software versions available for download at the BB support site. What exactly should I install?
    Like I said, I'm a total n00b so bare with me
    I use Windoze XP SP3.
    03-29-11 03:48 PM
    download desktop manager from the BB site. I assume since you have no screen you have no data to worry about losing.....If you do back up your data with Desktop manager. When you plug into DM, you may get an "update" notice. If not, wipe the device and reload the OS. I dont really use hybrids OS's, I am on Verizon and just use the official .328. If you want more memory you can reload the OS by using Shrink-A-OS.
    03-29-11 03:58 PM
    OK Thanks.
    I've installed BB Desktop Software. The Storm connects fine to the computer.
    The installed OS is 4.7.0.173.
    I tried updating the device with no success; it tells me there are no available updates. However if I click on "View other versions" i can see a 5.0.0.841, but only available to BB service subscribers (I'm not one of them).

So I've wiped the device clean and re-installed 4.7.0.173.
    The LCD is still black as can be.
    Any other sugestion before I get a new display?
    03-30-11 09:50 AM
    Are you saying you dont have a data plan on the phone? What phone service are you with.
    03-30-11 09:55 AM
    That's right. I don't have a data plan on my phone.
    I'm on European Vodafone prepay card (no subscription).
    03-30-11 10:48 AM
    Well either way, should not mess up the screen. google vodafone blackberry software and download it the computer and see if you can get that version to load.
    madinterceptor likes this.
    03-30-11 11:51 AM
    Yup, I pretty much think it's a hardware problem.
    I don't really want to load a Vodafone software, since the BB is unlocked and I want to keep it that way. I plan on using it with an other data carrier if I ever get it fixed.

Anyway the OS seems to be loading just fine, I just don't see anything on the screen. I can receive calls, all the keys work, even the camera...
    I'll change the lcd and see what happens then.

Thanks for the support!
    03-30-11 12:41 PM
    OK well good luck.
    03-30-11 12:56 PM
    New issue..
    I've updated the OS to 5.0.0.1005 (the latest official?) and now it's locked on Orange.
    Now I can't even use it as a usb modem since I have a data plan with another operator.
    Any ideea how to unlock it?
    03-31-11 02:48 PM
    You need to get an unlock code. I don't even know what stuck on orange means.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-11 04:40 PM
    Did you change the led?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-11 04:41 PM
    My bad.. Orange is another European network, and after the OS update (actually wipe and clean install) the BB is sim-locked on Orange.
    The new LCD should be arriving next week.
    In the mean time i'm using BBSAK screenshot to see what the BB is displaying and blind-operantig the device. The touchscreen still works fine, i just have to guess where the buttons are.
    04-01-11 01:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD