Hi,

I'm new to this forum and also new to the blackberry storm 9500 and have a few questions.

Since a few weeks i have the storm 9500.
    Tech data :

Smartphone (3G)
    v4.7.0.65 (Platform for 4.0.0.76)
    Version of brand 1.0.120.3

Question 1 :

When i put in the vodafone card and start up the blackberry everything is fine. But after a few days the touchscreen gets sluggy i need to use the whole finger to light up a button and the battery is drained very rapid within 2 to 3 days.

When i don't put in the card so there is no connection to the carrier, the touchscreen is very responsive, (have everything on high) need only a finger tip to select and the battery life is after a week stilll around 60 %.

Any one a qlue what's wrong.

Question 2 :

Do i need to upgrade the OS software.

Question 3 :

Is it possible to leave some parts of the software out, like vodafone live i don't use..

Had another question but i can't remember is anymore..

Already many thanks to your responses.

Greetings, Anne
    04-04-09 03:45 PM
    04-04-09 03:48 PM
    Do you "NEED" to upgrade the OS, absolutely not. In fact, if you're new to blackberry I'd wait a few weeks before you know how to use things and are familiar with how to load things on your device first.
    04-04-09 03:51 PM
    Hi,

Will only update when it needed..

But what about question 1 and 3 any idea's anybody..

Greetings, Anne
    04-05-09 03:35 AM
    If you want the most out of your blackberry then yes upgrade! Its like a brand new phone! And because its a smartphone it has a lot of things to do and process and occasionally memory leaks so you need to do a battery pull which resets your memory and starts the phone fresh. A battery pull is recommended once a day to keep your phone running smoothly

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

04-05-09 06:31 AM
    Make sure that you close programs properly as they may keep updating information which uses up the bat. If you have data turned on all the time and you surf quite a bit the bat will only last a 2 days at best.

04-05-09 06:41 AM
    You really don't need to upgrade you phone to have it works fine. Upgrading depends on your knowledge of not only Blackberry but computers as well. I was very saavy with Computers and Win. Mobile devices before a switch to the Storm. Since I had flashed my XV6800 many times I had a little more confidence in what I was doing. I got my Storm with in the first seven days it was out and made the switch to .75 for the 9530 relatively quick.

I did not move from .75 until about a week ago and I went to .113 for the 9530. There are many nice things like speed however it has a bad memory leak. The memory leak gets worse depending on the theme I run. I still have the sluggishness you have because of the memory leak. Doing a battery pull is a much easier thing to do when you know the boot up time has shrunk to 3.5 minutes compared to the long 8+ minutes on .75 and .76. Doing the battery pull will get the storm running good again.

As for removing things from the software I am unsure on Blackberry. With Win Mobile this is done when they created new rom's. Blackberry are different and I don't think any has take the software and removed all the crap many of us would like to see gone.

Take time to read the upgrading thread in the OS subforum. Think long and hard if you are ready. I can say my two upgrades have come with ZERO issues. Have fun with your Crackberry.
    04-05-09 09:47 AM
    Hi,

I now alot of computers so that would not be a problem..

I will think hard and read alot and then will make up my mind what to do.. Thanxs for the advice...

Greetings, Anne
    04-06-09 03:38 AM
    Hi,
    I noticed you are on VF, so we are up to .78 for the official release of software, I was on .65 to start with, and it was rubbish, if you are in a decent 3G area, do the wireless upgrade, it worked really well on mine, was done within about 20 mins. Although i'm now running .113 as I got so annoyed with all the problems on .78 and the phone is working loads better, still a few issues, but the things I wanted resolving are now working.
    So might be worth you getting up to .78 via the official update release from vf.
    Sam
    04-06-09 04:37 AM
    Hi,

Yep. i have Vodafone... 3G recievement is not so superb here.. But don't use internet of email on the blackberry...

Where can i find the 78 software than... On the dutch website there is nothing to find about it..

Greetings, Anne
    04-06-09 05:04 AM
    Hi,
    If you go options>advanced options>wireless upgrade then follow the prompts in there, whatever version of software available to you, would pop up in there. (obviously assuming you have a network signal at this point)
    or alternatively, you can do this via your pc in desktop manager.
    hope this helps.
    Sam
    04-06-09 05:42 AM
    Besides Crackberry which is a wonderful site, there is another new BB site that just started, that is uk flavored you might want to check out...

Berry 365 - The UK's number one site for all things BlackBerry

Also I highly recommend you update to at least 78, but 113 would be my choice as it's quite good for a beta.
    04-06-09 08:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD