Hey everyone, I just joined the site and this is the first Blackberry/Smartphone I have ever owned. After many (MANY) reviews & articles read, I chose the Storm over the Omnia. I read that old BB users will not like it as much but for new BB users they will love it and I do. When I tested it out at Verizon I new it was the phone for me right away.

I do not physically have it right now, but it should be here any day this week. Unfortunately due to my mother being an employee of Verizon we cannot go to the stores because no employee is allowed to view another employees account, so it had to be ordered (but we do have some nice perks including good discounts on my line and accessories!)

All I am wondering is what to expect basically and what should be done when I get it as far as any OS updates and such. Will it have the most recent .109 that I've been reading about? What apps do you recommend, what is the best free radio app and app for hockey stats and such? can you recommend a good cover/protector that I can purchase that will protect my device but also allow me to use it without having to remove it.

I am legally blind but am still able to read it fine. Are there any themes out there that will allow the background to be a dark color with the text being white (that is the easiest on my eyes.)

I appreciate the help and look forward to learning my smarthphone and being a member of this site. I can promise I will recommend anyone I know with a BB to this site!!!

Take care,

Don
    03-10-09 08:17 AM
    The Storm owners will come in with the info you are looking for in a bit. I just wanted to wecome you to Crackberry and congrats on your new Storm! You will find lots of great stuff here to help you. Don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it. You will never go back to a regular phone again.

Post back when you get your BB and let us know how you like it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-09 08:24 AM
    Hey, welcome to the site. Verizon will NOT have .109 on the phone as .109 is a leaked version, not the gold code ( official release ). I recommend that you upgrade the phone. However, look around the storm forums and decide for yourself to see if you're willing enough to do an upgrade. Im not sure about hockey or radio apps since they are of no use to me. I do however have the seidio innocase II and holster, and do like and use both everyday. I know there are a few themes that have a good contrast and dark color. Once you have your phone you can also go to options > screen/keyboard and change the text and size of the text if needed. Good luck with your storm!
    03-10-09 08:28 AM
    Hey everyone, I just joined the site and this is the first Blackberry/Smartphone I have ever owned. After many (MANY) reviews & articles read, I chose the Storm over the Omnia. I read that old BB users will not like it as much but for new BB users they will love it and I do. When I tested it out at Verizon I new it was the phone for me right away.

I do not physically have it right now, but it should be here any day this week. Unfortunately due to my mother being an employee of Verizon we cannot go to the stores because no employee is allowed to view another employees account, so it had to be ordered (but we do have some nice perks including good discounts on my line and accessories!)

All I am wondering is what to expect basically and what should be done when I get it as far as any OS updates and such. Will it have the most recent .109 that I've been reading about? What apps do you recommend, what is the best free radio app and app for hockey stats and such? can you recommend a good cover/protector that I can purchase that will protect my device but also allow me to use it without having to remove it.

I am legally blind but am still able to read it fine. Are there any themes out there that will allow the background to be a dark color with the text being white (that is the easiest on my eyes.)

I appreciate the help and look forward to learning my smarthphone and being a member of this site. I can promise I will recommend anyone I know with a BB to this site!!!

Take care,

Don
    Ok....

Hockey.... i have "The Hockey News" on my phone....i'll have to dig thru the forums to find it....but i think you just have to go to The Hockey News Mobile | powered by Polar Mobile on your phone....and download from there....

as for "radio" apps.... Slacker, FlyCast, Nobex Radio Companion....all depends on what it is you are looking for.

enjoy yer new phone, once you get it...i love mine!!
    03-10-09 08:38 AM
    Glad to see I'm not the only new Storm user here!

I just got my Storm on Sunday, and I'm in love! I have had no issues with the phone so far.

Enjoy your new phone! I know I'm enjoying mine!
    03-10-09 08:45 AM
    Welcome noobs! I love my Storm too! I can also recommend a great RSS feed reader called Viigo it is a MUST have, lots of good sports feeds on it, like CBC, Yahoo Sports etc.

You you guys have any other questions or problems feel free to ask me here or via PM or email.
    03-10-09 08:52 AM
    Thanks for the replies so far! I really appreciate it and am very impressed by the willingness to help on this forum

Guitar2989: Do you know which version will be on my Storm by chance? It won't be the .75 I have read about will it? By the way, I play guitar too (I'm assuming you do.) I have an Ibanez RG2EX1 and I love it!

CreaseKeeper29: Thanks for the suggestion for hockey news! That is one thing I wish my "regular" phone could do...I don't miss a game and recently got my teams logo as a tattoo! GO PENS! As far as radio apps goes...I only listen to metal/hardcore/metalcore/rock/alternative/techno/trance/ and very little rap/hip-hop. I would also like to get a radio app that would allow me to listen to my local pittsburgh stations or one that I can listen to hockey games with.

Thanks!

PS - My mom just told me she emailed the "Employee Help," people and I am just waiting for them to return it, which should be today so hopefully it will ship out tomorrow and be here Thursday!
    03-10-09 08:54 AM
    Welcome noobs! I love my Storm too! I can also recommend a great RSS feed reader called Viigo it is a MUST have, lots of good sports feeds on it, like CBC, Yahoo Sports etc.

You you guys have any other questions or problems feel free to ask me here or via PM or email.
    Hey! Thanks for the info and opening yourself up for questions. I really appreciate it and will most definately be PM'ing you at some point after I get my Storm

But me being a newbie and an even bigger newbie to smartphones in general. Can you explain to me what an RSS feed reader is? I don't want to just "own," my Storm, I want to know it inside and out!

Thanks!

Don
    03-10-09 08:59 AM
    Welcome to CB!
    03-10-09 09:00 AM
    Hey! Thanks for the info and opening yourself up for questions. I really appreciate it and will most definately be PM'ing you at some point after I get my Storm

But me being a newbie and an even bigger newbie to smartphones in general. Can you explain to me what an RSS feed reader is? I don't want to just "own," my Storm, I want to know it inside and out!

Thanks!

Don
    RSS feeds are updates to web content that are generally available in a simple format, without too much in the way of pictures (although there ARE some pictures) The feeds are updated multiple times a day, so for example when the Habs coach was fired the CBC had a small article up about it within minutes and with Viigo we were able to read just the article without going to the CBC site. When you set up Viigo you pick the feeds you want it to retrieve for you, and they have MUCH more than just sports. Sports, News, Weather, Politics, Entertainment, and more! It is WELL WELL worth the download. You can find the Crackberry version of Viigo at the CB mobile site here....

http://m.crackberry.com
    03-10-09 09:06 AM
    I'll be picking up my new Storm Saturday from the Verizon store on my two year plan. I've never had a bb and look forward to start using it. You'll probably be seeing me here for some guidance. Thanks!!!
    03-10-09 09:10 AM
    Welcome new guys. Any thing i can help with just drop me a line.
    03-10-09 09:19 AM
    your phone will unfortunately come with .75 loaded since that's the latest OS Verizon 'officially supports'.

I'd also recommend pretty much every app Google makes for the blackberry. viigo is great, the wall street journal reader is good too. that's more business oriented though.
    03-10-09 09:32 AM
    [Quote].I only listen to metal/hardcore/metalcore/rock/alternative/techno/trance/ and very little rap/hip-hop.[Quote] Slacker radio that was suggested will allow you to create custom stations you will enjoy. It works like Pandora, for example, I created a station by entering "Leng Tch'e" so that and similar Razor Grind music plays. FlyCast radio allows me to listen to Philadelphia sports radio 610 WIP here so it may have Pittsburgh sports radio as well. You can check them both out online before you get your Storm. Enjoy and welcome to CB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-09 09:47 AM
    Three week old BB Storm newbie in love with the forum and all things BB. It's a wonder how I've ever done without it?!?

I love Viigo. I wake in the middle of the night to read my feeds! How's that for addiction? lol.

I installed CBC alert which I've tried to delete over and over again but the icon keeps coming back.

Anyone know why that is or how I can remove it permanently?

Thanks!

PJ
    04-04-09 08:50 PM

after lurking the forums for quite a bit.. you'll come to realize those you can come to for advice and value their membership here on CB. I sure do... i've never ask'd for advice from pk but know he is always willing to help. additionally, you'll become familiar w/ the credibility of certain members such as CX and radio..

..welcome to the boards!
    04-04-09 08:53 PM
    iheartradio app will let you listen to your local stations. This is my first BB...I've had it for about 2 weeks now and absolutely love it. The site is a great resource and I spend a lot of time here.
    04-04-09 09:19 PM
    Three week old BB Storm newbie in love with the forum and all things BB. It's a wonder how I've ever done without it?!?

I love Viigo. I wake in the middle of the night to read my feeds! How's that for addiction? lol.

I installed CBC alert which I've tried to delete over and over again but the icon keeps coming back.

Anyone know why that is or how I can remove it permanently?

Thanks!

PJ
    Anyone ever figure this out? The only option I can find is to hide the icon, any other suggestions would be appreciated ~
    10-12-09 11:53 AM
    Hey, welcome to the site. Enjoy yourself.
    10-13-09 06:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD