I just got a storm two days ago after having a curve for about two years. I'm really liking the storm, but this thing leaks memory bad. I only have a handful of downloaded apps and no themes. I don't have any extra apps running and I'm having to pull the battery about three times a day. It goes from 28megs to 8megs rather quickly. Is this normal or are there any storm todos I'm not doing?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-09 08:48 AM
    OMG Get a bucket ur memory is leakin out everywhere!!!

Does the thing run bad? Crash? Drop calls? If the only problem is that you see the "application memory" goes from "high" to "low" (according to your definition) then you really need to find something better to do with your time.
    09-17-09 08:52 AM
    Yes its pretty normal. I know I will get burnt for saying this but thats one of the reasons I sold my storm on craigslist and got a Tour. But you do what you feel is right in your heart. To be honest I miss my Storm.
    09-17-09 08:53 AM
    It just starts to lag kinda bad. I never jad this issue with my curve. Just wanted to know if this was normal. I'll be on my way now.

09-17-09 08:58 AM
    upgrade to one of Lyridical's hybrids. It will help a lot.
    09-17-09 09:00 AM
    It just starts to lag kinda bad. I never jad this issue with my curve. Just wanted to know if this was normal. I'll be on my way now.

If you're running a recent, reliable OS rev (.148, .151, .167) then no that's not normal and you ought to try removing apps one by one until it goes back to normal. I have about a dozen installed and don't see any lag, and i never pull my battery or even run quickpull. It just runs, all day, no questions.
    09-17-09 09:07 AM
    Well lets ask a standard question what apps do you have downloaded ?
    It could just be one app that has your memory going down.
    09-17-09 09:09 AM
    Viigo, fb, pdf to go. All are shut down when I'm not using them.

09-17-09 09:40 AM
    And I'm running .148

09-17-09 09:41 AM
    Im going to say get rid of viigo and facebook and then put them on one at a time and wait a couple hours and see how your memory does but since you only have 3 apps Id do it with all of them just to make sure. But somthing is deffinetly wrong I mean I have about 19 apps on my storm and my memory almost never goes below 30mb and your saying yours is brand new with 3 apps and its already down to 8mb, maybe you should try to load a newer OS.
    09-17-09 09:43 AM
    Im going to say get rid of viigo and facebook and then put them on one at a time and wait a couple hours and see how your memory does but since you only have 3 apps Id do it with all of them just to make sure. But somthing is deffinetly wrong I mean I have about 19 apps on my storm and my memory almost never goes below 30mb and your saying yours is brand new with 3 apps and its already down to 8mb, maybe you should try to load a newer OS.
    If you want to be super picky, wipe it and use the desktop manager to install just the OS and the components you want. I did this the last time I upgraded (to .167) and the performance has been *fantastic*. Anyone who says the storm is just slow is just wrong. Loading too many third party apps on top of a bunch of default apps is a recipe for disaster no matter what device it is.
    09-17-09 09:49 AM
    .148 is horrible for memory managment. I had the same exact problem and was solved immediately when I upgrade to .151. Haven't had a problem at all with memory leaks for over a month now.

I highly recommend that you upgrade to the leaked .151 ASAP. You'll be much happier! I guarantee it.
    09-17-09 09:58 AM
    .148 is horrible for memory managment. I had the same exact problem and was solved immediately when I upgrade to .151. Haven't had a problem at all with memory leaks for over a month now.

I highly recommend that you upgrade to the leaked .151 ASAP. You'll be much happier! I guarantee it.

I second that!

I've actually done many upgrades since then, but that's just because I'm addicted.

The difference from .75 to .148 was incredible, but the jump from .148 to .151 was amazing. Much faster phone, no memory leak, more stable OS. You can't go wrong with that OS.
    09-17-09 10:17 AM
    I had many OS' on my blackberry and found that .151 is the best You really can't go wrong with it. Once you upgrade the OS leave it for a day and see if there is any memory leaks. If you have none, then install one app, run it for a bit and then check for memory leaks. If you have one then the app is the problem. If you happen to install a theme, run the theme for a day or so and see if you have memory leaks. If so, delete the theme.

You can repeat this process until you have all your apps on. This should help you track down any problems.

You may also want to look at the exception log. Anything with an error 5 isn't working well and probably should be deleted.
    09-17-09 10:34 AM
    I guess I know what I'm doing tonight. Thanks

09-17-09 10:34 AM
    .167 is just as memory stable as .151 been running .167 for a couple of weeks.
    09-17-09 12:30 PM
    i also recommend .151 as long as you dont stream music all day
    09-17-09 12:34 PM
    What does the streaming music do on .151?

09-17-09 01:23 PM

Concur! I liked .148 and had been running it for weeks before VZW made it official, but it never really helped much at all with the device's memory running down (not anywhere near as bad as yours, mind you, but I'm sure my apps and usage vary substantially from yours). This was nearly rectified completely when I upgraded to .151.... to the point where I no longer check multiple times a day to see what the value is. Instead, I might check it once or twice per week now... and don't really even need to do that, to be honest. With normal use I only drop between .5 and .8 mb throughout the course of the day. Highly recommend.
    09-17-09 01:39 PM
    Does anyone have a link to the .151 upgrade?

09-17-09 02:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD