I just got my first blackberry a couple days ago and I'm blown away by all the capabilities and functions it has. I was just wondering where to start as far as operating systems, and applications, what works the best? And whats the easy way to install?

A couple problems I've had so far is
    -lag between switching from portrait to landscape
    -the vibrate all setting doesn't silence all sounds (so I made my own sound profile)
    -and the bottom corners of the screen don't click anymore making it extremely difficult to select or use anything. (So Verizon has the replacement on the way)
    03-02-09 07:15 AM
    welcome to CB (somebody's gotta welcome you :}

lag (which i don't notice on .75) should be resolved with newer (leaked) OS)
    03-02-09 08:02 AM
    Welcome to the party.

Depending upon how courageous you are (insert disclaimer here), you may want to consider upgrading to one of the leaked OS'es (.109 for example). It will fix a lot of the performance issues that the official release from Verizon has (including a significant improvement in the accelerometer lag when switching from portrait to landscape).

While all non-official upgrades are at the sole risk of the individual, the benefits typically outweigh the risks.

Best of luck with your new device, and welcome to the community.
    03-02-09 08:04 AM
    I'll add another welcome. You may want to check out this thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/gu...better-144849/
    It has some older info when the Storm first came out, but is a good starting point. some apps to consider are QuickLaunch and QuickPull. You can read about them in threads in the 3rd party Apps sub-forum. finally, you can stay with your present OS .75 and wait it out for an updated official OS release, rumored to come sometime by the end of March-but not a definite thing. Or you can try to upgrade to a leaked OS. I suggest you get use to your Storm first and use it for about a week or so. Get to know how it works before trying a leaked OS. Then read the Sticky on the Leaked Beta OS sub-forum on how to do this first before attempting. Good luck and again, welcome to the crack!

EDIT: here's the sticky link: http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...eta-os-122851/
    Last edited by fcortese; 03-02-09 at 08:14 AM. Reason: added link
    03-02-09 08:12 AM
    welcome! also search DVD to Storm with Pictures. easy to follow directions for formatting DVDs to Storm.
    03-02-09 08:32 AM
    Glad to have another "crack" member Steve.
    Welcome to the greatest place on the web for Black Berry users. Like Brian and rboy tells you, OS .109 cures the speed but there is a bug with forwarding MMS. You will recieve them just fine, but (in my case) I cannot forward. Also the camera works much better in .109 than .75. I have installed all but one OS that was leaked here so I like so many others have indeed saw our Storm grow up.

I won't go into the screen fixes since you have a replacement on the way and I would not change anything until you get the new one. Maybe there will be a an "official" OS update by then but who knows?
    Also, ANYTHING Crucial_Xtreme posts is gold.

Here are a couple of links worth reading:
    BlackBerry 101
    Storm Tips, How To & FAQ
    Embracing Your BlackBerry (and understanding it a bit more)
    03-02-09 08:34 AM
    Hey I appreciate all the information! Thanks for everything, there's a lot I have to learn! But it's all so worth it.
    03-02-09 09:45 AM
    I just got my first blackberry a couple days ago and I'm blown away by all the capabilities and functions it has. I was just wondering where to start as far as operating systems, and applications, what works the best? And whats the easy way to install?

A couple problems I've had so far is
    -lag between switching from portrait to landscape
    -the vibrate all setting doesn't silence all sounds (so I made my own sound profile)
    -and the bottom corners of the screen don't click anymore making it extremely difficult to select or use anything. (So Verizon has the replacement on the way)
    If you have not done much on the device yet, it sounds like to me you have a defected phone. I have not installed any upgrade on my phone yet and it is working just fine without performance issue.

Since you just bought the Storm, I strongly suggest you to keep the original OS (i.e. .75) for at least a week or two first. You need to set yourself the baseline of the device BEFORE you upgrade anything. In that way, if any issue arises, you know it is caused by the new OS and not the device itself.

Furthermore, the leaked OS is not officially supported by Verizon. If you run into problem, you are on your own. It is also at Verizon's discretion if they will honor the warranty or not. Technically, you void the warranty if you install an unsupported OS on the device. So make sure you know what you are doing.

And welcome to the group. I only have the Storm for a few weeks and I absolutely love it. I know you will too. Make sure you visit this site on a daily basis, and read as many discussion threads as you can. It will help you trememdously.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-09 09:46 AM
    Welcome to the gang--this is a great place to learn!!!!!
    03-02-09 09:47 AM
    Welcome...hope you are enjoying your phone. Make sure you give it some time to get use to. My advice is to upgrade to .109. That will take care of the lag problem, plus you get faster internet and a better battery life.
    03-02-09 09:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD