I am a new BB user - have the Storm. My problem is that I always have the number 1 displayed by a closed envelope. I also have a number 1 next to the BB Messenger indicator. When I open messages or my email, it displays "no messages". I have also checked the saved messages. Same for BB Messenger. I have no conversations open and have no saved conversations. How do I get the icons to go away - or find out why they display.
    06-25-09 03:21 PM
    I am a new BB user - have the Storm. My problem is that I always have the number 1 displayed by a closed envelope. I also have a number 1 next to the BB Messenger indicator. When I open messages or my email, it displays "no messages". I have also checked the saved messages. Same for BB Messenger. I have no conversations open and have no saved conversations. How do I get the icons to go away - or find out why they display.
    have you tried doing a battery pull?
    06-25-09 03:23 PM
    have you tried a battery pull to clear them? which version of the OS are you running?
    06-25-09 03:24 PM
    When in doubt pull the battery out!
    06-25-09 03:28 PM
    +1 apparently everybody agrees you should do a battery pull.
    06-25-09 03:30 PM
    +1 apparently everybody agrees you should do a battery pull.
    should he do a battery pull?
    06-25-09 03:31 PM
    i was experiencing that as well. i couldn't figure it out till i opened the messages (not your email or texts) but the messages. it displays everything, your new voice mails your emails your missed calls your facebook updates. So when I opened that then I deleted some of those messages that I already read and then the new message icon up top went away. hope this works.
    Lindsay
    06-25-09 03:34 PM
    Battery pull may not help. There is either a message/missed call/voice mail that you haven't checked yet or a mysterious message.

Do this: Messages > highlight (touch) the date row at the top > press BB button > select Mark Prior Opened.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-09 03:54 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I just tried the open prior, but it still did not clear. Battery is charging now, will try battery pull in the morning.

Thanks again for helping a newbie.
    06-26-09 09:48 PM
    no problem this has happened to quite a few people including myself...seems when you let it sit with a message idle then view it, damn icon wont go away. Eveyone I know that has had this problem just pulls the battery out viola.
    06-27-09 07:02 AM
    I have had a problem a few times (about four times in five months) where the Messages folder will get the little red asterisk indicating a new message but there are no new messages. I know all the places to look, and look at them all. Nothing. Just opening the applications or download folders and coming back tothe front screen will make the red asterisk go away. For a while, but it comes back. Battery pulls don't cure it. What finally does get the phantom red asterisk to go away is a DM backup and restore. But I figure anything that gets me to do a periodic backup can't be all bad.

I know it's different than the OP since I don't get any notifiers on the top of the screen
    06-27-09 08:01 AM
    whatever you do, do NOT do a battery pull!
    Why on earth would you offer ******** advice like that? Pulling the battery clears the NVRam which will clear stuck indicators.
    06-27-09 08:22 AM
    I have had a problem a few times (about four times in five months) where the Messages folder will get the little red asterisk indicating a new message but there are no new messages. I know all the places to look, and look at them all. Nothing. Just opening the applications or download folders and coming back tothe front screen will make the red asterisk go away. For a while, but it comes back. Battery pulls don't cure it. What finally does get the phantom red asterisk to go away is a DM backup and restore. But I figure anything that gets me to do a periodic backup can't be all bad.

I know it's different than the OP since I don't get any notifiers on the top of the screen
    that one i have heard of...shoot...i cant remember the fix...has it happened with everyos you have?
    06-27-09 10:42 AM
    this happened to me once, battery pull wouldn't work, so i eventually reset the entire OS.
    06-27-09 11:15 AM
    The other thing I've found helpful when I get 'lost' messages is to open the main Messages list and hit T (top) then U (unread) to find the one I missed.

If there are no unread messages after this its a battery pull as next step. I've never needed step #3.
    06-27-09 02:02 PM
    Why on earth would you offer ******** advice like that? Pulling the battery clears the NVRam which will clear stuck indicators.
    2300 posts and cant sense sarcasm huh?
    06-28-09 02:25 PM
    2300 posts and cant sense sarcasm huh?
    Can't read sarcasm unless you throw faces like this in there.

To me the !!! is serious. That is like saying all caps is yelling. I just don't hear it.
    06-28-09 02:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD