Ya I know this should be in a rant and rave... but since "most" of the users here are on the Veriz. network thought I'd share... The new list of BB's

BlackBerry Onyx:

* GSM/GPRS/EDGE/UMTS device
    * GPS
    * Camera
    * Wi-Fi (no UMA support)
    * QWERTY keyboard
    * 480�360 resolution screen
    * Confirmed carriers: AT&T

BlackBerry Driftwood:

* GPS
    * Camera
    * Wi-Fi with UMA
    * QWERTY keyboard

BlackBerry Magnum:

* GPS
    * Camera
    * Wi-Fi (no UMA support)
    * QWERTY keyboard
    * 480�360 resolution screen
    * Confirmed carriers: AT&T
    04-05-09 12:40 PM
    I don't think its any surprise. Most new Blackberries go to GSM carrierrs first then CDMA later. The exception was the Storm, At&t will get it soon. I expect at least two of the ones you listed will have CDMA versions later on.

I think the Apex, Niagara and possibly one more will hit Verizon this year. That's all i've heard.
    Last edited by matrix2004; 04-05-09 at 12:54 PM.
    04-05-09 12:51 PM
    the CDMA version will not have wifi
    04-05-09 12:52 PM
    the CDMA version will not have wifi
    And by next year, WI-FI will be dead. LTE will be faster.
    04-05-09 12:57 PM
    and by next year there will still be basements and airplanes and remote areas/countries out of service that can benefit from wifi
    04-05-09 01:00 PM
    I think VZW will allow wifi in the future. They have received criticism in quite a few major publications for not including wifi and their reasons for doing so, they will bend to the market eventually, but since they are so big, they are more resistant to change. LTE is going to rock, but since their major competitor AT&T will also be moving to LTE, they will have to compete more on features.
    04-05-09 01:13 PM
    Well as long as we see the niagara soon, I'm satisfied.
    04-05-09 01:46 PM
    I think VZW will allow wifi in the future. They have received criticism in quite a few major publications for not including wifi and their reasons for doing so, they will bend to the market eventually, but since they are so big, they are more resistant to change. LTE is going to rock, but since their major competitor AT&T will also be moving to LTE, they will have to compete more on features.
    I guess this has been discussed a thousand times but why does everyone blame VZW for there not being any CDMA phones with WIFI. I find it hard to believe that Verizon is dictating to RIM that they can't build WIFI into CDMA devices. Also Verizon sells phones with WIFI (HTC Touch Pro) just not Blackberrys because no CDMA BB exists with WIFI.
    04-05-09 01:59 PM
    I don't think its any surprise. Most new Blackberries go to GSM carrierrs first then CDMA later. The exception was the Storm, At&t will get it soon. I expect at least two of the ones you listed will have CDMA versions later on.

I think the Apex, Niagara and possibly one more will hit Verizon this year. That's all i've heard.
    Actually, the Storm came out to GSM first... Voda is GSM. The only one that's come out first for CDMA is the Niagra, but a lot of people view the 9630 more of a child of a 3-way between a Bold/Storm/8900 Curve.
    04-05-09 02:11 PM
    After reading the BGR report, it looks like most of these devices will be going to GSM carriers. And is the magnum basically the pluto? (Touchscreen and physical qwerty keyboard)
    04-05-09 02:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD