I have an 8820 on Cingular now and have been happy with the network coverage although disappointed with EDGE data speeds. But download speeds are meaningless when you have no coverage. I am out of my contact period so I can switch without penalty.

So my take is that if I get the Storm, I am getting equivalent metro area coverage and better data speeds. However, I go to Vermont a bunch and my perception was that VZW had lousy coverage up there vs ATT which seems to have good coverage. But when I look at the Storm specs it seems to be able to run on the ATT's GSM network as well. Is that just for voice or will I still get data coverage in spots where VZW has no data coverage?

This may be a rookie question but any help would be most sincerely appreciated.
    10-28-08 11:44 AM
    You won't get any coverage from ATT signals if you have a VZW phone. I am sure there are a lot more out there that can explain this in detail.. That would just be way too good to be true.
    10-28-08 11:45 AM
    Im pretty sure he is planing to switch to verizon if his question is answered. I would help if i could but i just dont know
    10-28-08 11:49 AM
    From what I have read you can't use the Storm on AT&T network.

Here are the coverage links for AT&T and VZW:

AT&T Coverage Viewer

Coverage Locator - Verizon Wireless

Looks like there is no 3G in Vermont for AT&T
    10-28-08 12:01 PM
    I am often in western NH and have found Verizon has the best service up there. Also Verizon bought Rural Cellular.

Verizon Wireless to buy Rural Cellular for $2.67 billion - Engadget Mobile
    10-28-08 12:11 PM
    From what I have read you can't use the Storm on AT&T network.

Here are the coverage links for AT&T and VZW:

AT&T Coverage Viewer

Coverage Locator - Verizon Wireless

Looks like there is no 3G in Vermont for AT&T
    well, you can unlock a Vodafone unit and use it on AT&T voice network, but you won't be able to take advantage of the 3G networks here in the states for data.

The VZW version of the Storm will not work on AT&T's network at all...
    10-28-08 01:18 PM
    well, you can unlock a Vodafone unit and use it on AT&T voice network, but you won't be able to take advantage of the 3G networks here in the states for data.

The VZW version of the Storm will not work on AT&T's network at all...
    That is true.

I'll just wait for the Storm version for AT&T -
    10-28-08 01:22 PM
    The Bold has the following network specs:
    GSM 850/900/1800/1900

The Storm has the following network specs:
    CDMA 800/1900 MHz,
    GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz/2100 MHz (Europe)

So if the Storm has the GSM capability why can't it ride on the ATT network? Blocked by ATT? Or is the GSM capability just for Europe with a different SIM card?
    10-29-08 10:25 AM
    The Bold has the following network specs:
    GSM 850/900/1800/1900

The Storm has the following network specs:
    CDMA 800/1900 MHz,
    GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz/2100 MHz (Europe)

So if the Storm has the GSM capability why can't it ride on the ATT network? Blocked by ATT? Or is the GSM capability just for Europe with a different SIM card?

I think you're missing what we're saying here...the GSM variant (Vodafone) WILL run on AT&Ts network (for voice only) - the 3G capabilities are limited to that of the European specs, so you'll be running on EDGE for data.
    10-29-08 11:10 AM
    is the storm 3G?
    10-29-08 11:32 AM
    My sister lives in Vermont and she says the coverage for cell phones are very
    weak.. not a great place for one.. they dont have the towers they need..
    it may ruin the views lol
    Bet
    10-29-08 11:51 AM
    The US storm is a CDMA version the Vodafone is a GSM version in europe don't know about compatibility in the US check crucials threads he has the answer
    is the storm 3G?
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-08 12:15 PM
    What about the Canadian versions? I know Rogers has the same 3g network AT&T does (hence why unlocked Rogers Bolds have been working on AT&T 3g). What about Telus and Bell?
    10-29-08 07:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD