Hi all, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on what's happening with my Storm. I've got auto-dimming turned off in the settings yet the screen dims randomly. By randomly I mean sometimes I can use the device and the screen stays at my selected brightness level all the time, than all of a sudden it starts auto-dimming after a few seconds of not touching the screen.

Has anyone experienced this issue? Is this some design feature that I'm not aware of? Can it be stopped/fixed?

I'm using OS build 109.

Thanks
    03-03-09 08:30 AM
    I have the same problem OS .75
    03-03-09 10:23 AM
    Bump for answer, I have the same problem.
    03-03-09 10:27 AM
    i would like to know as well
    03-03-09 10:39 AM
    same here. i thought it may have a light sensor in it or something.
    03-03-09 10:40 AM
    I had the same problem on .75. After iI
    Upgraded to .109 its fixed

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-09 10:54 AM
    I had the same problem on .75. After iI
    Upgraded to .109 its fixed

Mine has done it with every OS: .99 .103 .109

I am growing quite fond of it though.
    03-03-09 10:56 AM
    I have noticed this as well. Even with the screen dimming off, it still dims. I am pretty sure there is a light sensor located in the clear opening for the LED status light. Still on .75 here.
    03-03-09 11:06 AM
    i think it's application dependent. i don't notice any problems with any of my currently installed apps, but i tried a few that made the brightness go crazy. i have auto dimming off and brightness set to 10, but i installed some maze game last night and the screen went into torch mode for the entire game. i noticed the same thing with some newsreader i tried (don't remember which one, but it might have been AP).

i would say to check to see which apps you have actively running in the background and try disabling them one by one to see if your backlight changes
    03-03-09 11:12 AM
    i think it's application dependent. i don't notice any problems with any of my currently installed apps, but i tried a few that made the brightness go crazy. i have auto dimming off and brightness set to 10, but i installed some maze game last night and the screen went into torch mode for the entire game. i noticed the same thing with some newsreader i tried (don't remember which one, but it might have been AP).

i would say to check to see which apps you have actively running in the background and try disabling them one by one to see if your backlight changes
    Unfortunately this is not the case for me. No apps running and the symptoms are apparent even on the home screen. Further to this, I can even set the auto-dimming feature ON and it actually WON'T dim in that instance. There appears to be no consistent pattern to this.
    03-03-09 11:44 AM
    just changed the autodim feature to off, lets see if i have an answer for you
    03-03-09 11:50 AM
    Mine has done it since day one. No apps running, just my crazy bb. Lately I'll lose my ring tone. No reason, just goes away. Maybe I'm too tolerant....
    03-03-09 11:52 AM
    Hi all, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on what's happening with my Storm. I've got auto-dimming turned off in the settings yet the screen dims randomly. By randomly I mean sometimes I can use the device and the screen stays at my selected brightness level all the time, than all of a sudden it starts auto-dimming after a few seconds of not touching the screen.

Has anyone experienced this issue? Is this some design feature that I'm not aware of? Can it be stopped/fixed?

I'm using OS build 109.

Thanks
    If your screen is dimming after a few seconds of not touching the screen... i think that is normal... is the phone just going to sleep (not like going to sleep as you're putting the phone in a pouch)
    03-03-09 05:49 PM
    Mine has done it with every OS: .99 .103 .109
    mine too.....
    03-03-09 05:51 PM
    mine used to do that with os .75 i upgraded to .109 and i dont have that problem anymore
    03-03-09 06:15 PM
    I got the same issue guys. Running OS 4.7
    But there is an advantage to the light dimming. It helps save battery life, and I know everyone here can agree, that the battery drains pretty fast.
    03-03-09 08:01 PM
    its the back light timeout, it works independent of the auto dim feature.
    03-04-09 01:24 PM
    its the back light timeout, it works independent of the auto dim feature.
    Can the back light timeout be adjusted?

03-04-09 03:52 PM
    I noticed this after getting the nerve to install some Apps. On .75 as well.

03-04-09 03:56 PM
    I have .109 and still have this problem. Hopefully someone can post a fix to this.
    03-04-09 06:32 PM
    Can the back light timeout be adjusted?

yep, option/ keyboard/screen
    03-04-09 06:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD