Well it’s been 7 months since I purchased my Storm and after 4 replacements, I’ve painfully decided to give it up. It’s been a hard decision because I’ve actually gotten used to the Storm. My reasons for giving it up are:

1.I’m losing my corporate discount with Verizon.
    2.I just found out I now have discounts at AT&T and T-Mobile.
    3.And even though I’ve invested so much time and energy into trying to make the Storm work for me, it’s just caused more frustration than good in my life.
    4.I don’t feel that Verizon provides enough value for me anymore. Their network in my opinion, is their ONLY benefit to me.

A little background on me, the Storm is my first BB so I’m a BB newbie and not used to a BB keyboard or trackball. But I’ve owned many PDA’s including Windows Mobile, and I even still have my old-school Palm M105. I’m also an ex-Verizon fanboy. Well I've already promised my Storm to someone else but I've grown accustomed to the BB UI. I’m not a power user but I use PDA’s for social networking, browsing, leisure, some business, and school. So I’ve had a hard time making a move on the following decisions:

1. Moving to the Bold, 8900, Iphone, or any smart phones from AT&T.
    2. Getting the 8900 or any other smart phone from T-Mobile.
    3. Or should I just try to get another Storm unlocked? It just doesn’t seem worth it to me at this point.
    4. Also considering giving up on all smart phones and try to save money in this economy.

I don’t consider Sprint because I don’t get a discount and am not fond of their service. I thought maybe the new Iphone would be a good move since I’m used to the touch screen. I also thought the Bold might be a good way to fill that void that will be left by my Storm . It's hard leaving Verizon, but I never thought I'd feel bad about parting with my Storm! Well, what would be your next best choice after the Storm and Verizon. Any input or insight would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by vllssv; 07-22-09 at 02:37 AM.
    07-22-09 02:19 AM
    8900 for T-Mobile
    07-22-09 02:55 AM
    We had VZW for a long time, then I wanted a phone that had Internet and some other stuff. They wanted to charge me an additional $50 per mo for the additional services. I said "no way" and we went over to Sprint where I got everything I wanted for less than what I was paying at VZW before I inquired on a new phone.

HUGE mistake. Husband is an OTR trucker and he had constant problems with dropped calls/disconnects in the year we spent with Sprint. We contacted them a few times and they tried to help, but the problem just would not clear up. Sprint let us out of our contract a year early w/no early term fee and back to VZW in a hurry. At that point I was willing to pay the additional cost for service that works. We have no disconnects since we went back to VZW and my husband actually has a phone he can watch TV on which tickles him no end. I have a Storm and I absolutely love it, haven't experienced the problems some have with my Storm. I guess I'm very lucky.

Anyway ... I have heard both ways on other services like AT&T etc of the same kinds of problems that Sprint has. Just a thought ... you may be real sorry to give up what you have for a lesser cost because with the lesser cost so comes lesser service. Seems to be one of those things whereby "you get what you pay for."

If I were you, I'd get me a working phone and stick w/VZW. We left and we came back. OS .151 is getting great reviews if it's software issues and Storm2 is close to coming out as I understand it. There's the new Tour that I see is getting good reviews and so many other choices. If you don't want to chance another Storm I can understand that. Sounds like you got one of the first Storms and I would expect bugs and problems with something so new and different. But RIM's been working hard to get all the bugs out is how I see it.
    Last edited by debsbb; 07-22-09 at 04:01 AM.
    07-22-09 03:52 AM
    Take a look at what company has good coverage that gives a discount since thats a big selling point for you. If ATT has good coverage for the areas you go to, go with them. My brother has the Bold and I kind of like it. If you're a touch phone fanatic, the iPhone will be good for you. It takes a little time getting used to the mac interface, but it works. When in doubt, talk to friends that own the phone and fiddle around with them or play with them in the store. Hope all goes well in your adventure to find a better service/phone.
    07-22-09 06:43 AM
    I've been with sprint, T-mobile, and verizon. I'm never leaving verizon again. T-mobile is simply a vastly inferior infrastructure and sprint looses calls and has some of the worst customer service I've ever seen. AT&T is your best option aside from verizon if you just want or need your discount, but I doubt you'll be happy with there network. Verizon will let you change your done for no penalty after you've had to return it 3 times for the same problem. If you upgrade you have to renew your contract and pay the difference however. If you want a tour it may be an option atleast, and I would imagine they would let you go to pretty much any older smartphone for free. Just wave the policy in there face and you'll be fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-09 10:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD