hello, i signed up here because this site seems to show up a lot in google when i search for anything blackberry related, so i was hoping perhaps you guys could help.
    I was given a used blackberry storm locked to verizon and it still has its old sim card. I know how to unlock the phone, however my problem is obtaining the mep code. Apparently I'm supposed to be able to get it for free by calling verizon customer support and telling them i need it unlocked to go out of country. However i have tried this twice and it didnt work. the first time i called i got a grumpy sounding guy who told me the only way they could do that is if I actually had the phone activated on a plan. the other time i got a woman who had no idea what i was talking about and eventually told me i had to bring it in to a store to have it unlocked. I know there are plenty of websites to do it for a small price, but i need it done free.

If anyone knows a good unlocking software or hack, or is able to get me the mep2 unlock code from my imei, please let me know. thanks
    05-10-10 09:15 PM
    just made a 3rd attempt got a guy with a wicked accent could barely understand him, he said since I am not the owner of the phone (rather the phone number on the sim card) I cannot make changes to the account. grrr
    05-10-10 09:25 PM
    First off, welcome to Crackberry. There's a lot of advice here for anything you might need.

To answer your question, Verizon phones actually don't use SIM cards. The Storm you have has one simply because the phone is a World Phone (aka can use both GSM and CDMA signals), and that SIM is only activated through Verizon if the phone was unlocked to use on their own Global plan. Other SIM cards (like AT&T and T-Mobile, for example) can be used if the phone is unlocked. From what I remember about Verizon, in order to get a free unlock code from them the phone must be active on an account like you were told. I've never heard of a store doing them. Is it possible the previous owner of the phone still has the phone active that they could get you the code, because other than that yes, you will have to pay to have your phone unlocked. This part of the forum: http://forums.crackberry.com/f157 has plenty of companies that will do it.
    05-11-10 08:14 AM
    hello, i signed up here because this site seems to show up a lot in google when i search for anything blackberry related, so i was hoping perhaps you guys could help.
    I was given a used blackberry storm locked to verizon and it still has its old sim card. I know how to unlock the phone, however my problem is obtaining the mep code. Apparently I'm supposed to be able to get it for free by calling verizon customer support and telling them i need it unlocked to go out of country. However i have tried this twice and it didnt work. the first time i called i got a grumpy sounding guy who told me the only way they could do that is if I actually had the phone activated on a plan. the other time i got a woman who had no idea what i was talking about and eventually told me i had to bring it in to a store to have it unlocked. I know there are plenty of websites to do it for a small price, but i need it done free.

If anyone knows a good unlocking software or hack, or is able to get me the mep2 unlock code from my imei, please let me know. thanks
    Sorry if you are looking for a free way Verizon will be your only option other than you can get one from us or any other unlocker on here. Good luck.
    05-11-10 10:57 AM
    Never call the carrier to get a phone unlocked. Not that it can't be done, but it's usually a PITA for everyone involved. And never pay more than $3 to unlock a BlackBerry.

And this also means, never pay more for an unlocked BB than you would one that is still locked to the carrier.
    05-11-10 11:35 AM
    Well, I paid $15 to unlock my Storm using theremoteunlocker.com

I love their service. They send step by step instructions and I have used them 4 times without a single fail.

That was a small fee for me to pay to get the phone up and running.
    05-11-10 11:45 AM
    Does anyone know of a monthly unlimited prepaid plan ( such as boost ) that will work on a storm so i could have my email and browser functions if possible .
    05-11-10 12:44 PM
    Does anyone know of a monthly unlimited prepaid plan ( such as boost ) that will work on a storm so i could have my email and browser functions if possible .
    Boost is the best one that I know of that has unlimited pay as you go plans for BB, but you will need to purchase the Voice/Data BB Plan.. plus you will need to unlock the phone.

Or you could use a Verizon Prepaid plan.
    05-11-10 02:16 PM
    deleted my post
    Last edited by xskills123x; 05-12-10 at 04:59 PM.
    05-12-10 04:10 PM
    Talk of that software is forbidden here. Sorry good luck and don't brick it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-10 04:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD