ok this is what i am thinking , so as many people know , i have had 7 storms at this point... and the only time i had dust is when i did the torq screen fix.... i think they are related , somehow by loosing up the screw it backs off the plate and allows a gap for dust to get into aka no longer sealed. On my storm now havent needed to do the fix have had it for a month under the same conditions , and no dust.
    01-28-09 01:08 PM
    The dust seems waaaay too common to be because of that, in my opinion.
    01-28-09 01:09 PM
    I'm tempted to agree with zazz on this one, sooks. You're usually a Storm god, no doubt, but I haven't touched the screws and I still have a few smaller pieces of dust under the edge of my screen. Granted, much less than some others I've read, but they're certainly still there...
    01-28-09 01:11 PM
    Never adjusted the screws either and I have some dust specs as well.
    01-28-09 01:15 PM
    You're usually a Storm god, no doubt
    lol, funny guy.

Never touched the screws on any of my 4 and I've had dust under every screen. Some clicked well, others clicked horribly. Good click/bad click isn't the causing the dust problem, and adjusting the screen is most certainly not.
    01-28-09 01:16 PM
    I have a few small pieces of dust in the upper middle of my screen and I have not used the torq screen fix. Out of curiosity is a small amount of dust under the screen reason enough to exchange it for a refurb?
    01-28-09 01:17 PM
    I have a speck under my screen and I have been very anal with it, always in holster, never exposed to pocket lint or anything in particular..
    01-28-09 01:29 PM
    I have no dust and I have adjusted the screws
    01-28-09 01:31 PM
    I had to return my storm because of dust under the screen and I never touched the screws.
    01-28-09 01:48 PM
    I have a speck under my screen and I have been very anal with it, always in holster, never exposed to pocket lint or anything in particular..
    I was in the same boat. Always holstered the thing and watched it carefuly. When I did get a spec of dust I just took a microfiber cloth, rubbed it on the carpet to get a static charge. Held the cloth in one hand and the phone in the other so you don't get any arc's. Touch the cloth to the screen and drag the dust to the side..... I know its still there but I can't see it.
    01-28-09 02:11 PM
    I was in the same boat. Always holstered the thing and watched it carefuly. When I did get a spec of dust I just took a microfiber cloth, rubbed it on the carpet to get a static charge. Held the cloth in one hand and the phone in the other so you don't get any arc's. Touch the cloth to the screen and drag the dust to the side..... I know its still there but I can't see it.
    Never knew of this. Nice idea.
    01-28-09 02:12 PM
    i have dust under my screen. it just can't be helped. there is space big enough for dust to collect under the screen. i can understand if the screen was sealed tight but that would take away of the clicking of the sceen.
    01-28-09 02:18 PM
    Never knew of this. Nice idea.
    Ditto. I'll be trying this when I get home
    01-28-09 02:23 PM
    I replaced a Storm due to dust under the screen, which I had not done anything to the screws. I did adjust the screws on my replacement, and have not had any dust issues for the month that I've had it, and I keep it naked in my pocket.
    01-28-09 03:24 PM
    Torx click fix has nothing to do with the dust getting in between the two screens. Watch the youtube video of how they took it apart. the screens are actually "sandwiched" by some sort of adhesive... for some reason, dust still gets through it... which, to be quite honest is a really bunk idea. I've got dust between my screen. And yes I am positive it's not my screen protector. Turn off your phone, and hold it under the light/sunlight, no doubt you will see dust... don't kid yourself if you say you don't see it, because I seriously think this issue is the last thing on RIMM's to-do list. So I will wait, until that huge piece of dust finally shows up, so far... just specks.
    01-28-09 07:55 PM
    Even though I have not used the Torx screw fix for my screen and still see dust under my screen, i still feel like you could be onto something. It is a very good theory that looser screens may be the cause of gey screen dust.
    01-28-09 07:59 PM
    Seems to me, if someone could come up with a DustStorm remover, it'll be the best selling accessory for the Storm...
    01-28-09 08:26 PM
    Seems to me, if someone could come up with a DustStorm remover, it'll be the best selling accessory for the Storm...
    Wouldn't make a dime off of me, i get dust again, its getting replaced again.
    01-28-09 09:16 PM
    My storm is in the mail so doing my research right now, but do any of you have a Bodyguardz cover that goes over the whole device?
    01-28-09 09:26 PM
    how is it possible to be on the 7th storm, makes no sense....
    01-28-09 09:57 PM
    GREAT idea. Simple yet effective

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-09 10:04 PM
    how is it possible to be on the 7th storm, makes no sense....
    I am not sure I am interpiriting your comment properly but I think yiu are suprised, maybe even shocked that someone has gone through 7 storms. Do you feel it is not possible that somone would have to do that many trades in order to get a storm that functions as a reasonable person believed it hsould?

If so, then I am shcked by your suprise! Have you been reading this forum since 11/22/08? This thing was designed and/or built at the local vo tech by the freshman class. RIM did and does (or their contractor) a sh!t job on these devices.

I could live with a storm knowing that physically it was sound and OS would get better over a moderate period of time. But the build quality is a crap shoot and I think the jury is still out over how the click mechanism and dust issue will play out with age. These design or build issues are just unnaceptable and if RIM and/or VZW knew of them and delivered this to market anyway then shame on them and I hope the feds go after them. As it stands now I would love to see a state AG pop their head into RIM and vzw and see who knew what when.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-09 10:09 PM
    i likke my storm running .90 no real problems other gotta zoom a lil to save its my 2nd and only cuz i scratched the first as for dust who cares cant really see it or atleast i cant and i beat on this phone i drop it alot
    01-28-09 10:21 PM
    if you take the blackberry apart, you will see that the two screens are glued together by adhesive to make up the lcd. the top peice is the glass/touch screen, the bottom peice is the lcd. if you look carefully, there are three tiny gaps on both sides of the lcd. these six gaps are what alows dust into the screen, if someone would have done a better job making the lcds, or if someone would have sealed up all these tiny gaps, dust wouldnt be inside the screen.
    01-28-09 10:41 PM
    I was with two of my friends the other day and mentioned that I was angry about all of the dust under my Storm's screen. From there, one of them took out their Blackberry Pearl, and the other took out their Blackberry Curve. Both of them had huge amounts of dust in their screens as well. Hate to tell you guys, but it's not just a Storm thing. It's a Blackberry thing in general. It just bothers us more on the Storm since the screen is so much larger. But after seeing their phones it made me realize that it could happen with any phone you buy.

Even so, I'm going to try that microfiber cloth idea. I've been thinking that some sort of static cling would work and I've been meeting to experiment with it. I see someone else beat me to it. Cheers! Now I just have to find the time to go the supermarket.
    01-28-09 10:46 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD