I dropped my Storm in a bucket of water today and I already filed an insurance claim with asurion. I'm really surprised that they so eagerly allowed me to pay them 50 bucks for a new phone...lol...everyone told me that if it's water damage, you're not covered...but apparently you are!

My questions now are:

Can I somehow still wipe it so that they cannot come after me later when they see that I have upped it to a leaked OS? I also want my personal data deleted...

Anyone know how to check to see if the phone they give me is new or refurb?
    05-04-09 02:41 AM
    Can I somehow still wipe it so that they cannot come after me later when they see that I have upped it to a leaked OS? I also want my personal data deleted...
    I believe since your claim isn't operating system related, you wouldn't have a problem with them "coming after you". However, give it a shot at drying out REALLY REALLY well, for a few days, and see if you can get it to connect to USB.
    05-04-09 02:58 AM
    Asurion covers everything to my knowledge. Water damage, stolen or simply (and here's why water damage is probably covered) "Hi, I lost my phone".

When you cover a person who has simply lost their phone, water damage is logical. At least that way instead of someone lying about losing their phone, they might get salvageable parts back from a soaked phone
    05-04-09 03:15 AM
    Asurion even covers lost and stolen phones. They don't care about your OS. And they would get super sued if someone's personal info leaked out so they have procedures in place to flash personal data. Most Blackberrys are not refurbs from Asurion from my experience (although most every other brand of phone is).
    05-04-09 03:18 AM
    from what I understand Asurion is one of the best insurance agents for cell phones?

if I am incorrect please correct me but they are very good at giving you the coverage you pay for
    05-04-09 03:24 AM
    from what I understand Asurion is one of the best insurance agents for cell phones?

if I am incorrect please correct me but they are very good at giving you the coverage you pay for
    They're excellent. I had to use a claim on my G1 and they used overnight shipping to send me a brand new device. It came new in it's box with all original accessories and I was told to send the phone and back cover back but keep the battery and anything else. The whole process took just minutes and I was satisfied.
    05-04-09 03:27 AM

"Meh" would be my honest answer. I use them as I have no other option through my carrier.

However, I have had cause to use Asurion before with a different phone and my experience was beyond appalling. I got mugged one night and the person stole my Samsung Instinct (along with giving me a mild concusion). I filed a claim immediately after getting released from the hospital and proceeded to wait, phone-less.

After a week, I called Asurion to find out what was going on. Their reply was they didn't have any Instincts to send me at the time and to check back at 15 business days. The 15th business day would fall 1 day before my 30 day guarantee with Sprint so I said ok. On the 15th business day, they told mme they still did not have any Instincts to send me and per their policy had 30 days to provide me with a new one. Obviously, I couldn't continue to go without a phone. I contacted Sprint and told them I was out. When they tried to object about the return of the handset, I told them to call Asurion and get their handset from them when it became availible.

The back and forth continued for about a month post that day, with Asurion never being able to provide me a phone. Sprint released me from the contract without any penalty. However Asurion refused to refund my $50 deductible until I finally lost my temper and began jumping down the throats of phone reps. I got one CSR on the phone, who I praised highly, that understood my issue and anger. She transferred me to their corporate offices where I explained that I no longer needed a replacement phone, no longer being with Sprint and would like my deductible back. The person at corporate, a month and a half after getting my phone stolen, then asked the most infuriating question possible:

"Wait a minute... You mean to tell me nobody offered to reimburse you if you went to a store and bought a phone new?!?"

YMMV but I pray I never have to use my insurance with my phone
    05-04-09 03:38 AM
    "Meh" would be my honest answer. I use them as I have no other option through my carrier.

However, I have had cause to use Asurion before with a different phone and my experience was beyond appalling. I got mugged one night and the person stole my Samsung Instinct (along with giving me a mild concusion). I filed a claim immediately after getting released from the hospital and proceeded to wait, phone-less.

After a week, I called Asurion to find out what was going on. Their reply was they didn't have any Instincts to send me at the time and to check back at 15 business days. The 15th business day would fall 1 day before my 30 day guarantee with Sprint so I said ok. On the 15th business day, they told mme they still did not have any Instincts to send me and per their policy had 30 days to provide me with a new one. Obviously, I couldn't continue to go without a phone. I contacted Sprint and told them I was out. When they tried to object about the return of the handset, I told them to call Asurion and get their handset from them when it became availible.

The back and forth continued for about a month post that day, with Asurion never being able to provide me a phone. Sprint released me from the contract without any penalty. However Asurion refused to refund my $50 deductible until I finally lost my temper and began jumping down the throats of phone reps. I got one CSR on the phone, who I praised highly, that understood my issue and anger. She transferred me to their corporate offices where I explained that I no longer needed a replacement phone, no longer being with Sprint and would like my deductible back. The person at corporate, a month and a half after getting my phone stolen, then asked the most infuriating question possible:

"Wait a minute... You mean to tell me nobody offered to reimburse you if you went to a store and bought a phone new?!?"

YMMV but I pray I never have to use my insurance with my phone

wow thats pretty bad I have not had that experience..
    05-04-09 04:45 AM
    You got your problem solved quite fast, consider yourself lucky.
    05-04-09 07:24 AM
    Wow! Nice insurance! Someone knows if I can find something similar in Canada(Quebec)?
    05-04-09 07:33 AM
    Good to know that it's worth the extra $5 a/month..Almost wasn't sure
    05-04-09 07:48 AM
    Asurion covers everything to my knowledge. Water damage, stolen or simply (and here's why water damage is probably covered) "Hi, I lost my phone".

When you cover a person who has simply lost their phone, water damage is logical. At least that way instead of someone lying about losing their phone, they might get salvageable parts back from a soaked phone
    They do cover a "lost phone" but they require you to file a police report for all lost/stolen phones. you can usually get the report # , from the police, over the phone. oh the irony....
    05-04-09 08:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD