My storm (my 4th one), was working fine. Until I installed the new official OS from Telus. .122.

Most things are still fine except for TWO issues. The screen sometimes blacks out when I get a pin.. and stays black for a good 20 seconds before i can read the pin.

BUT WORSE, my battery is dead within about 8 hours!!! Sometimes less, I've had this problem with other Storms... but NOT with the one I currently own, UNTIL i installed this stupid OFFICIAL OS.

Any suggestions on how to get my battery life back, used to be over a day, with quite a lot of usage... THANKS
    05-18-09 09:55 PM
    try downgrading or upgrading to .132 or use one of the hybrids
    05-18-09 09:57 PM
    Well, I'm a mac owner, so I can't do it myself. I had Telus do it for me. Do you think it would help to downgrade, and then try to reload it again??
    05-18-09 09:59 PM
    that was a bug i also found in the .122 OS. very annoying (screen blacking out) but i was able to find a workaround. it would only do that when i had a custom ringtone play when i got emails or pin messages. so i just left my phone on vibrate and it never happened. but now im on .132. its good to be a PC
    05-18-09 10:03 PM
    that was a bug i also found in the .122 OS. very annoying (screen blacking out) but i was able to find a workaround. it would only do that when i had a custom ringtone play when i got emails or pin messages. so i just left my phone on vibrate and it never happened. but now im on .132. its good to be a PC
    No sudden excess battery drain tho? This is ridiculous, it drains in HALF the time now.
    05-18-09 10:07 PM
    says the guy who used .114 after .113...lol!

but i agree with the advice he gave you. .132, .141 or a hybrid will treat you much better.
    05-18-09 10:08 PM
    says the guy who used .114 after .113...lol!

but i agree with the advice he gave you. .132, .141 or a hybrid will treat you much better.
    Well being a mac, I can't do it myself. I don't even know a pc/blackberry user lol.. so my option would be for Telus to either downgrade me, or re-install 122, but who knows if that'll work..

I know other Telus 122 users who just got the phone, and there battery life is fine.
    05-18-09 10:23 PM
    you will need a PC to upgrade/downgrade, i doubt that telus will downgrade then upgrade your device. they don't consider that part of troubleshooting. they'll treat it like a hardware issue and offer to replace your phone/battery/charger or some combo of the three (if they're worth their weight as a C/S team)

if you can't get a hold of a PC i'd say just go to telus and see what they offer you.
    05-18-09 10:28 PM
    My storm (my 4th one), was working fine. Until I installed the new official OS from Telus. .122.

Most things are still fine except for TWO issues. The screen sometimes blacks out when I get a pin.. and stays black for a good 20 seconds before i can read the pin.

BUT WORSE, my battery is dead within about 8 hours!!! Sometimes less, I've had this problem with other Storms... but NOT with the one I currently own, UNTIL i installed this stupid OFFICIAL OS.

Any suggestions on how to get my battery life back, used to be over a day, with quite a lot of usage... THANKS
    Had the same issue with battery life on .122. I upgraded to .141 and made sure all apps were set to manual updates and manual sync whatever the option to keep them from communicating constantly and draining the batt. Now I get 24 hours out of my phone with the same amount of use. .141 treats my phone very well.
    05-18-09 10:42 PM
    WAIT! Someone get Oilersboy... I want to see what he has to say about this. I want to see the non-coherent excuses roll in on this one.

To the OP, it's a well known fact that .122 is buggy. That coupled with the fact that each Storm handset is about as different tempermentally then the next one as women are... well... let's just say that they won't all behave the same on the same OS. (no one knows why) However, perhaps if you put a bad one with a good one, they'll sync up their behavioral traits before long...
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 05-18-09 at 11:05 PM.
    05-18-09 11:02 PM
    WAIT! Someone get Oilersboy... I want to see what he has to say about this. I want to see the non-coherent excuses roll in on this one.

To the OP, it's a well known fact that .122 is buggy. That coupled with the fact that each Storm handset is about as different tempermentally then the next one as women are... well... let's just say that they won't all behave the same on the same OS. (no one knows why) However, perhaps if you put a bad one with a good one, they'll sync up their behavioral traits before long...
    That's mean but so true lol. To the op like others have suggested try one of the latter leaks .132 or .141.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-09 11:09 PM
    I downgraded on thurs from .132 to .122 because I thought I would be picking up my replacement storm on friday. The rep at the store didn't really care about the os....but I thought I would anyway because it was going back to Telus.
    But .122 was very bad for me. I couldn't keep in on my phone though the weekend. It would freeze at times and it would reboot when I would try to take pictures.
    My replacement didn't come in on friday, so went back to .132. and I'll hand it in that way
    05-18-09 11:21 PM
    As stated before, you need a new OS. .132 or .141/5.0 hybrid will improve your battery life. It's likely related to the radio in .122 and the resultant signal searching that your phone is doing causing the battery drain. I would not expect Telus to do all that for you.

On a side note, I'm not trying to start a Mac/PC debate in this persons thread, but I don't see how you can own a BB and not have a PC. Do you not even have access to a PC where you work (or where a good friend works)? Personally, if I didn't own a PC, I wouldn't own a BB (they seem to go hand in hand to me), but that might be a bit extreme for most. Isn't there some Mac software that replicates or actually installs a Windows environment on your Mac?

Grey
    05-19-09 08:32 AM
    Yep I'm going up to .141 when I get home from work

05-19-09 08:37 AM
    I'm still on .75 exactly for that reason...I worry that I'll go~through the trouble of "upgrading" and will be stuck with a new set of bugs I got my storm way back in january and it hums along just great. Slow camera but all else works super fine.
    I figure why mess around with a good thing. I'll wait for the official OS...and even than I think I'll wait to heat some feedback before I change my OS.

05-19-09 10:15 AM
    I'm still on .75 exactly for that reason...I worry that I'll go~through the trouble of "upgrading" and will be stuck with a new set of bugs I got my storm way back in january and it hums along just great. Slow camera but all else works super fine.
    I figure why mess around with a good thing. I'll wait for the official OS...and even than I think I'll wait to heat some feedback before I change my OS.

05-19-09 10:25 AM

Yes, you will sync up the behavioral traits... both will go bad! Good girls can't turn bad guys, but bad guys turn good girls into freaking devils!
    05-19-09 10:37 AM
    turn down your screen brightness
    05-19-09 11:05 AM

Thats Wierd I had battery issues as well but it wasn't related to the recent update from Telus it was actually the battery itself. Once they replaced it my battery life improved big time! I would try that first.
    05-19-09 12:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD