So, I finally took the plunge and purchased the Storm. I was very excited to get the phone, but admit I was apprehensive because of the issues that were being thrown around on this board and with other Storm users.

I'm currently running .75 on my phone, so that's what I'll be referring to.

The most important part, the phone:

So far, I have had no dropped calls. I live in the greater Philadelphia area, and I'm very happy with the phone thus far. Calls have been clear on my side and on the caller's side as well. Speakerphone is above average and has a nice clear sound. The cheek hitting the mute button has not been an issue for me yet, however I still think that should be fixed in the next software update.

The second most important part, texting and email:

Ok, at first, I wasn't thrilled about the typing. It was getting cumbersome and after a while, annoying. Especially, when I had to add 200 contacts by hand. However, I've learned to really like the SureType keyboard, especially as it learns words. Landscape QWERTY keyboard is pretty decent, except I have large hands, so it's a little bit of a pain sometimes. Overall, I love the clicking of the screen because it feels more natural to me. The email is fantastic as usual with Blackberries. It's almost seamless. Texting works well and so does MMS.

Accelerometer:

Mine is flawless. It's very responsive.

Browser:

My one so-so part of the review. The requesting seems to take a while on my phone, however, once it starts downloading, it's very fast. The browser is very good as far as the HTML browser. It may not be as polished as Safari on the iPod/iPhone, but it's still very good.

Media:

This is where I was very pleasantly surprised. A lot of iPod/iPhone users were saying how the Storm paled in comparison, but I sincerely disagree. The music side is still very good. The search function is great in the music section. Sure, it's missing some of the cool features that the iPod has like Genius and more selectable playlists, however, at least I don't have to use iTunes. You can still make playlists on the fly, which is all I care about. The video playback, in my opinion, is stunning. I truly believe the screen is better than the iPod/iPhone. I absolutely love watching any video on this phone. I have the iPod touch, and I believe this screen is more vibrant and brighter than my iPod.

Overall:

I believe this phone, with a few more updates, is an extremely legit competitor to the iPhone. In fact, it already is. Let's face it. Verizon, in general, doesn't have that many great phones, and this phone is the first phone in a long time that has consumers excited about something new. This is a great phone for the middle ground between power business users and the average consumer. It hits a broad base and has excellent features, some much better than the iPhone like Stereo Bluetooth and MMS messaging. Plus the video camera. Though it doesn't have WiFi, Verizon still has a better network than any other provider in the US. If I recall, the iPhone had a ton of issues upon release, and the 3G version has had issues as well. The Storm will have a few software releases to polish the phone up over time and frankly, RIM has always stood behind their product and I believe they will with the Storm as well. I highly recommend the phone, and I already know 4 people going to buy one after using mine for a while. This is a true all-in-one device.

I hope this review was helpful. I was tired of hearing a lot of negatives on the board, because I have had nothing but good things to say for the most part. Let me know if anyone has any questions. Thanks.
    12-21-08 10:23 AM
    I totally agree with your post. I traded in my curve which had its faults also. I love my storm its everything I expected, i think ppl forget its a phone sometimes and not a PC. I have no issues with the way it works at all and have no bugs as of yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-08 10:57 AM
    Sounds like you love your storm just like me. Glad to hear.
    12-21-08 11:01 AM
    i had a curve-which was great but had faults. But the Storm is just PUUUUUURE class. Thats it . Simple.
    12-21-08 12:15 PM
    I do love my Storm. I think it's a great all around device. So far, I have no regrets about purchasing it. Especially with the limited amount of good devices on VZW.

The Storm does everything I want and it's a head-turner. Maybe even more so than a iPhone. I think at this point, the market is so saturated with iPod touches and iPhone, that the novelty has worn off. I needed a phone that was an all-in-one device, with good email capabilities, and this phone perfectly fits the build.
    12-21-08 02:50 PM
    Yeah, the Storm overall does what it should. I hope the updates fixes all the issues. I had a Pearl before this and VZW had to give me another one because it had it's own issues.

12-21-08 02:59 PM
    I completely agree with your review. The Storm has been the best phone I've ever had and I know it will only get better.
    12-21-08 03:00 PM
    Good stuff.
    12-21-08 03:01 PM
    Great post; thank you. Can't wait to get mine . . . tomorrow.
    12-21-08 03:04 PM
    Good stuff.
    This device is, by far, the best device I have ever had overall. Darn near perfect for me. Most of the reviews I have seen have been due to expectations not consistent with what this device was designed to do.

12-21-08 03:13 PM
    Agree happy with mine too

12-21-08 03:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD