my brother passed a month ago from a bad motorcycle accident. apparently he had a Storm in his possession and it was given to me today.

i know nothing of blackberry. considering how bad the wreck was the storm seems to be undamaged. except i believe it is stuck in some sort of boot cycle. the battery was dead when i got it. so its been charging for a while now. when i tried to cut it on, the red LED at the top comes on for about 3-4 seconds, then a rotating square clock moves in the center of the screen, then back to the red LED. now the red LED is just coming on every few seconds and no more clock in the screen. any ideas as to what may be wrong? i really just want to see what he had on here, pictures and whatnot. can anyone help me?
    01-14-11 03:39 PM
    Umm...Try re-loading the OS on the phone. Not to be rude but use the search at the top of the page and you will get all the help you need.

Sorry to hear about your Brother man!
    01-14-11 03:41 PM
    Umm...Try re-loading the OS on the phone. Not to be rude but use the search at the top of the page and you will get all the help you need.
    not to be rude... but im not really thinking clearly right now considering the fact. thanks.
    01-14-11 03:48 PM
    did this

crackberry.com/blackberry-101-lecture-12-how-reload-operating-system-nuked-blackberry

gets to "wait for device initialization" and starts the reboot process again.... any ideas?
    01-14-11 08:53 PM
    Did u delete the vendor file? And idk try wiping the phone with one of the wipers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-11 08:58 PM
    did delete the vendor.xml file. will try a wipe if i can get it to stay connected long enough
    01-14-11 09:25 PM
    wont stay connected more than 20 seconds... **** it. who wants a free brand new 9530?
    01-14-11 09:29 PM
    if it was a Palm, i bet it would work...
    01-14-11 10:21 PM
    If you really don't want the BlackBerry I'll take it and pay shipping.
    01-14-11 10:24 PM
    Try charging it overnight and then loading an OS.
    If you don't want to deal with it, I just talked to a guy on here who needs a new BB for TMo - http://forums.crackberry.com/members/cash/
    Sorry to hear about your brother, that really sucks.
    01-14-11 10:48 PM
    my brother meant a lot to me and if i do give it to you do you think you would be able to retrieve any photos/vids?
    01-14-11 10:51 PM
    Try charging it overnight and then loading an OS.
    If you don't want to deal with it, I just talked to a guy on here who needs a new BB for TMo - forums.crackberry.com/members/cash
    Sorry to hear about your brother, that really sucks.
    if it can go to a good cause, ill donate. but my brother really meant a lot ot me so like i said if anything can be retrieved from it...
    01-14-11 10:55 PM
    You don't need the phone to get the pics (hopefully).
    Open the back and pull out the battery, there should be a micro sd card in there - all the pics should be on there.
    It's possible the pics were saved on the phone itself, but almost no one does that.
    bradenfontaine likes this.
    01-14-11 11:00 PM
    did this

crackberry.com/blackberry-101-lecture-12-how-reload-operating-system-nuked-blackberry

gets to "wait for device initialization" and starts the reboot process again.... any ideas?
    Did Loader.exe recognize ur Device. Try the sim card thing most likely if he had one he would have stored the majority of pics and vids on there. If u have a smartphone w and sd card u can just insert and view. Sorry about ur loss.

01-14-11 11:07 PM
    thank you so much. i have tried the apploader trick at least 20 times and it always hangs and restarts at the same spot. i would wipe it and try a different od version but it wont stay connected to the computer long enough to get anythign done. just keeps rebooting and losing connection. is there a way to wipe the os and reinstall that i dont know about?
    01-14-11 11:23 PM
    Sounds like there's something actually wrong with it

01-14-11 11:26 PM
    loader did recognize and went through the process up until the reinitializing, but it always starts the reboot at that point and cant proceed. and EVERYTHING WAS ON THE SD CARD!
    01-14-11 11:28 PM
    Good, I'm glad it was all there
    If you want they phone to work, try running the app loader and tell it not to restore data - the data it's talking about is stuff like email messages and sms, calendar entries, etc. Unless you have access to some high tech software, you're not getting that stuff back.

bradenfontaine likes this.
    01-14-11 11:31 PM
    the loader did recognize the device and PIN but would go right back into a boot cycle when it tried to reinitialize with the device. BUT EVERYTHING WAS ON THE SD CARD!
    01-14-11 11:38 PM
    Good, I'm glad it was all there
    If you want they phone to work, try running the app loader and tell it not to restore data - the data it's talking about is stuff like email messages and sms, calendar entries, etc. Unless you have access to some high tech software, you're not getting that stuff back.

is there any chance of the phone being fixed? heck it is brand new. might could give it to his daughter if i can get it working.
    01-14-11 11:40 PM
    When you run app loader, tell it not to restore data (if that's an option) and that might do it.

01-15-11 01:59 AM
    Pull the battery out of the phone connect to the computer and load the OS then in the middle of it loading the OS put the battery back in it.

Try youtube there is a video on there that tells you what I just told you. I think it was posted by the ppl of crackberry.

01-15-11 01:10 PM
    You send it to me, and I'll get it working, no charge. All you need to do is pay shipping to get it here. Your story, whether true or not, moved me. I do a lot of repair for Blackberries for my work, as well as for friends. I may even have some extra parts that I can swap in without issue. If it *is* beyond repair, I'll do what I can to get the data off the memory internally. No promises there, but again, this is what I do for a living. I usually just troll these forums for tips and tricks in what I do, but, again, your story moved me.

If you trust me, you can send it to my work, which I will message you should you decide. I'll personally pay shipping back, so you just need to get it to Kansas.

Let me know.

Grioghar "Greg" Thomas-Baldwin
    01-16-11 04:08 PM
    is there any chance of the phone being fixed? heck it is brand new. might could give it to his daughter if i can get it working.
    I had same happen to me on a BB. I brought it into VZW in that condition and they swapped it out for another.

Glad you could get stuff of the card!

And sorry about your Bro.
    01-16-11 08:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD