So alittle caution to all Blackberry Storm users...

I don't know what the heck may cause this but this is what I did.

I go to charge my phone and when I take the cord to plug it in I touch the silver metal parts together and next thing you know a spark comes shooting out. It scared me but no signs of any serious damage or anything like that.
    01-04-09 01:23 PM
    More than likely, there is a problem with your charger. Try another charger and see if it repeats this. If it does, then something is wrong with the port on your phone. Something is grounding out when you are plugging it in.
    01-04-09 01:27 PM
    That's odd. Does it do it every time you go to plug in the cord, or just that one time?
    Take it back now while you can. I'd also do a backup.

Are you sure it wasn't static?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Maybe it was just the lightning background
    01-04-09 01:29 PM
    thats just weird i agree with add id return it and back it up...
    01-04-09 01:34 PM
    I'm sure it wasn't static cause it came right out where I plugged it in and my fingers and hands were no where near that besides on the cord you plug it into.

Yeah maybe my charger or phone is bad but this is like the 2nd time this has happened.
    01-04-09 01:34 PM
    Could it possible be static discharge? maybe you were charged and when you connected the phone to the plug, you became grounded through the metal casing on the phone causing a spark?
    01-04-09 01:35 PM
    That's a new feature!
    01-04-09 01:37 PM
    That's a new feature!

Yesss, they should definitely include the fact you can use it as a lighter in the ads!

I'd say try a new charger. Take it to Verizon, and have them try one to see if it does the same thing before buying a new one.
    01-04-09 01:43 PM
    That's why they call it the Storm. lol

Seriously, it sounds like a static discharge to me...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-09 01:53 PM
    Yesss, they should definitely include the fact you can use it as a lighter in the ads!

I'd say try a new charger. Take it to Verizon, and have them try one to see if it does the same thing before buying a new one.
    lol I love your response... Anyways for the user that posted the problem, Any numerous things could be causing it. You may have a issue with the grounding in the port of the phone, their may be contacts touching eachother etc... If it is sparking that is when I would say as others have recommended calling verizon or going to verizon and showing them what it does with the charger and than see what they say you should do. Telling someone is one thing. Showing someone is a whole different story.

Best of luck to you with your phone I'm sure verizon will in one way or another help you get it fixed.
    01-04-09 02:05 PM
    Are you using the paper behind the battery trick? There are some gold colored metal probes that are visible with the battery door off. . i believe these need to be in full contact with the battery door in order for yhour phone to be properly grounded. If there not touching the battery door this could cause electrical problems.
    01-04-09 03:31 PM
    That's a new feature!
    Yeah.....Mine doesn't do that. I'm taking it back!
    01-04-09 04:27 PM
    Maybe it was just the lightning background
    best comment I have read since the release of .85
    01-04-09 04:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD